Sign in to follow this  
smadge1

[PC] Valve ARG - PO TAY TOES

http://valvearg.info/wiki/Valve_ARG_Wiki

Since releasing The Potato Sack http://store.steampowered.com/sub/7586/ game bundles and announcing a new TF2 hat for people who buy or own those games, there have been a lot of potato related clues dropping all over the place.

I Have been tinkering with the mini-game now embedded in the Defense Grid game, http://valvearg.info/wiki/Defense_Grid

Apparently, the last time Valve went to this much trouble, they announced Portal 2.

If I had the time, I'd be all over this, but many people have been putting the pieces together on that wiki site.

I read on Kotaku (I think) that there are now over 15 games identified to have some sort of reference to Potatos, unlocking super potato boy in super meat boy etc.

They think it might be either something to do with Portal or something to do with the surprise Valve hinted was coming soon.

Yeah, every game in the potato sack has something to do with it. Amnesia has a new file called hidden_door or something like that, not sure if anyone has found it yet though.

Seems a strange way to hype a new game :/

why not just come out with it and let Valves reputation proceed it.

Because Valve always do this sort of shit and it just makes people love Valve even more.

They're not hyping it as such, just not ready to announce it yet, this is more fun for people than valve saying "Hey, Half Life 2 Ep 3 is never coming!"

^ This lol

Pretty keen to pick up the Potato sack now because one, I love indie games and I only have two of the ones in that pack, and two, pretty sure its going to mean something mint come portal 2 time.

Because Valve always do this sort of shit and it just makes people love Valve even more.

They're not hyping it as such, just not ready to announce it yet, this is more fun for people than valve saying "Hey, Half Life 2 Ep 3 is never coming!"

I guess, releasing tid bits of information doesn't make me more interested in a game or love them more its counterproductive to me, I need to see hard evidence of why said game is awesome before I get excited.

I guess, releasing tid bits of information doesn't make me more interested in a game or love them more its counterproductive to me, I need to see hard evidence of why said game is awesome before I get excited.

It's nice that they're having fun at their end, instead of forcing advertising down our eyes to the extent of OMG FUCKING WOW THIS GAME IS AWESOME JIZZBAGS BUY IT OR CRY BECAUSE YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS.

It's like a game in itself - Puzzling clues all over the place, what do they mean?

Dude, they haven't released any info yet.

They're not hyping anything yet.

Think of it as a treasure hunt, at the end the price is the reveal, but so far the journey has nothing to do with the end result, you're looking at it the wrong way.

They're not trying to get anyone excited about a big release, we don't even know what the big release is(or if this is even related to a game release) but having a platform like steam is such an awesome way for them to get stuff out there and do unique things like this.

Edited by NukeJockey

yea I know nothing has been announced yet, I was just saying its a (possible?) marketing technique that doesn't get my attention however it excites other people, each to their own :)

Edited by nesquick

Seems a strange way to hype a new game :/

why not just come out with it and let Valves reputation proceed it.

Viral marketing like this is proving to be hugely successful and for the exposure it can generate can be very cost effective.

This potatoes thing has been in the news of every major gaming website the last week and it will continue to do so as long as its a mystery. That kind of exposure is priceless.

Then they still get that big, or even bigger, hit once the secret is exposed.

Oh and you can bet that this has sold other games with the easter eggs in them, I mean the Potato sack was on the top sellers list for a couple days.. People will look through them for clues and shit..Considering a lot of thse clues are in like Valve games, this probably makes valve money while they promote virally a new product and get in the front page of all gaming news sites.

Edited by Bundy

I think I can justofy buying the potato sack bundle, I mean, I paid $45 for a single copy of Portal 2. I already have Defense Grid, so I can gift the spare one. And I could always do with another TF2 hat!

just bought the potato sack, lots of new gams for me to play (should keep me occupied until Portal 2!)