Sign in to follow this  
Master_Scythe

moving to ZFS plan

it's a funny thing solaris for that, generally the $10 cards work and the expensive stuff aswell but look out if you paid $50-80 for them.

am i right, in reading this: If i go with RaidZ1, no matter how many disks I have, i can lose one? So I could have 50disks in the one pool, and still only HAVE to have one 'wasted' disk?

If so, i may go a 10 disk RaidZ2......

A general guideline is to avoid exceptionally "wide" raidz. Try to keep the column count constrained to 8 or less. Because of the parity requirements, writes get a little complicated (and _big_) when stretched over that many columns.

When creating a pool from a lot of disks, we tend to do something like:

zpool create moo raidz c0t0d0 c0t1d0 c0t2d0 c0t2d0 raidz c1t0d0 c1t1d0 c1t2d0 c1t3d0 raidz c2t0d0 c2t1d0 c2t2d0 c2t3d0 .. (etc)

to create a number of raidz vdevs with a small column count.

basicaly what he said above for those that don't quite follow, is to nest 3 raidz arrays within one storage pool. so 4 hdds become a raidz array, another 4 also become a raidz array, and another set. Then the three vdevs are chucked in a pool.

To your eyes it still looks like one really big hdd, but there is three seperate arrays going on.

thanks sparky.

Its seeming due to hardware compatibility BSD may end up being the OS of choice. just gotta wait for my 4port SATA cards to come from ebay ($9 each, woot, lol) and i'll get it to start :D

Anything else I should know?

you could also give nexenta a try if that fails. It had success finding the extra ports on my mobo that are not connected to the amd south bridge. jmicron stuff so it looks like nexenta through a few more drivers in for more commodity hardware. you can get an xfce desktop in nexenta by apt-getting it. or there is stormos. all of these (not entirely sure on stormos but i cant see why not) can have napp-it installed.

my fileserver is just that and that is all, so nexentastor is perfect for my needs its about as complicated as a toster, but may not have the features you want. but its worth running stormos up live to see if it has drivers.

Drivers on Solaris are also somewhat portable - it's not like Linux where you need a build to match a specific kernel version/compile/patchset/phase of moon. So there's always a fair chance that drivers that work on (say) Nexenta can be lifted and dropped in on (say) Solaris 11 or OpenIndiana.

LSI's itmpt driver covers all their core products and they still support it on Solaris 2.6. That's a long service life!

Master_Scythe, I was running NexentaStor for a couple of weeks but was a little underwhelmed. Just not my cup of tea so to speak.

Little things mostly, like the Web Interface falling over regularly and needing the the page to be re-loaded.

So I swapped it out for an OpenIndiana server install and added NAPP-IT to that.

Now THAT's why I virtualized my server. Took me 15 mins to swap out the underlying OS and I had a full 'Chicken-out" option available the whole time. Love It!

Very happy with Napp-It on top of OpenIndiana so far.