nobody813

[PC] Atomic World of Tanks Thread

http://wiki.worldoftanks.com/Battle_Mechanics

Has just about everything you need, besides experience.

There's some things you'll pick up from gut feel, where I reckon it's an unexplored factor.

For instance, some lighter-calibre shots, even though HE round damage isn't massively reduced, feel like they have massively lower effect.

At the moment, I'm using a 57mm on my T-34. The HE rounds do next to nothing, while the AP rounds do more than the 75mm rounds because of their higher penetration.

EDIT: Exactly what David says. Once you have the HUD showing you penetration estimates, and you get an idea for the difference between HE and AP shots, don't ignore your gut. You'll feel it when it feels like a particular round is bad. I have a feeling that some HE rounds rely more on penetration than others, and that his uncharacterised value determines their effects against different armour. I think we are only scratching the surface of the model.

A good idea, is to just think about it. A higher penetration 57mm round is a result of higher muzzle velocities. Odds are even the HE round is somewhat more reliant on penetration capability than a 75mm round.

Edited by TinBane

Super ammo is as you stated.

It's higher penetration on normal ammo, or rarely, higher damage instead.

The bonus depends heavily on the gun.

It can be as variable as +100% penetration for some (like the LOLTraktor) to +20% and barely worth it for others.

Normally, the better the gun, the less benefit the ammo gives you.

I like to think it's an "option" to help you get past a crappy gun on a tank, but in reality, it's pretty expensive. For the cost of one shell (10G maybe) you can "move" 250XP into free XP from an elite level tank.

Mojorising: It's hard to get your head around at first. I read the entire battle mechanics article, and didn't quite get it. It takes a bit of experience trying things out to see how it works. HE because of it's high damage and "splash" effect (it hits an area of the tank, HE shots only hit where the projectile lands) is great at killing crew, hitting weakpoints and damaging components.

For example, enough weak tanks, will eventually kill a powerful tank if they can survive long enough, using HE shells. Some extremely powerful heavily armoured tanks, have vulnerable spots, that mean that HE shots in particular, will deal significant damage if they strike near the area.

This tends to be noted in the entry on the wiki, for the tank.

A good example is the T-34 onward (ie the T-34-85, T-43, T-44, T-55) USSR tanks, have vulnerable areas where they store ammo. Hit those with an HE shot (or hit near them) and the entire tank might go up, or at least lose ammo and take bonus damage.

Thanks for the info. Only problem is you need Gold with all the good ammo on FTP. I kinda like playing German with the P35 tank the first one to buy. Finding also as Hawkeye mentioned its a matter of switching ammo and guns for best result. So far i get 1 kill in every 3-4 games .

Here's a stupid question... how do you get a tank to Elite Status?

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/t...ge__hl__secrets

This is really useful as well.

Explains how camo and stealth works.

Explains why I've felt like the M5 Stuart is useless at hiding, because it's about half as good as my TD!

David: Once you research every option on a tank (every gun, turret, engine) and also every tank that follows, it becomes elite.

Basically, once there's nothing to spend XP on, for that tank, you can keep accumulating XP to convert to free XP (uses gold) or you can pump that XP into training the crew faster :)

EDIT: Gold shots are extremely useful, sometimes, because they are good, reliable damage.

They are certainly not the best shots, nor do they play THAT big a difference.

I don't use gold shots, as a rule. I have four or so, saved up for if I come up against an IS3 in my KV3. But I haven't really used them.

You don't need them.

Most tanks are worse than the one preceeding them, if you had good guns etc on the old tank, and the new one has no upgrades.

That's because, most tanks upgrades represent refits during their lifetime. So often there's overlap. When you have the KV1 fully upgraded, you are using configurations from late in the war. When you first unlock the KV3 (next tank) you can't equip even the guns it shares with the KV1, and it's actually much harder, until you upgrade the suspension and can equip the 107mm cannon.

Most low level tanks allow you to store so many rounds, you can't run out. Go half/half, and have fun trying them out. Everything you learn in T1 - T3, will save your life over and over in T5+.

Edited by TinBane

Here's a stupid question... how do you get a tank to Elite Status?

I once had a statement in my work email signature that said "The only stupid question is an unasked question".

As TB said, you need to research every researchable item for the vehicle to attain elite status. E.G.: if you are playing the Hetzer, you need everything on it's research page, including the Stug III, researched. You do not need to buy anything that you have researched, you just have to have it researched (therefore available for purchase).

I tried this MMO on the weekend in FTP and it seems not bad so far. Just upgraded my first tank ,the only problem is understanding all ammo types. It seems to have a steep learning curve very similar to EVE online with all the research points and such. Is it worth upgrading Premium? or just buy the Gold?. Playing in windowed mode it looks great but full screen it does look grainy and out of date graphics.

To upgrade to premium, you MUST buy gold. If you are paying any money for the game at all then you are buying gold (or buying hardware to play the game). There is no subscription, no purchasing vehicles or equipment or XP, only purchases of gold.

To have a premium account, you spend the gold. You can use gold to buy a premium account for 24 hours, 3 days, a week or a month. (currently 1 day is 250 gold and 3 days is 250 gold, so go 3 days if you want a day for the same price).

I assume it is some sort of special on at the moment making the 3 days 250 gold. As it is you can buy 3 days, then 3 more days, then 3 more days, getting 9 days for 750 gold. Or you can buy 7 days for 1250 gold. Not a real tough decision there.

Denied

:)

CORRECTION: :(

How do you always beat me here? :P

Edited by nobody813

Denied

:)

CORRECTION: :(

How do you always beat me here? :P

Oh, I just got a brilliant idea.

I was about to say "G15" as an answer.

But then the concept grew on me. (oh, and I actually use a G19 anyway)

I don't read as much of the Atomic forums as I used to. Because instead of going to the Home page and checking stuff and then the Forums and checking Tech Talk, I use a bookmark taking me to the last post of this thread.

Another problem with that is that when I use the book mark, I'm not logged in, and I can't fix the cookie to log me in everytime. So I started making a bookmark (all on the toolbar) for the login page that I click, then click [Log me in], as it's auto populated with details, and then I click the bookmark to get me here.

But if I setup the G19, I can press a button to log me in and take me here.

Almost too easy.....

Wow, it's taken me this long to think of it. No wonder I suck as SQL and VBA.

Lol

Could just be that Atomic + my internet = zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Only site that loads slow...

Really? WoT sites load really really slow for me. Atomic is alright generally.

Really? WoT sites load really really slow for me. Atomic is alright generally.

My problem is that i doesn't start, just sits there, then loads quick

Don't ask me why it's happening :/

Sounds like it is caching before displaying. Not sure that I've seen that sort of activity since Netscape was a well respected browser. Might still be an option somewhere in you browser. Or could just be that you need to clean out unimportant cookies and temp files.

Or maybe you just need to upgrade to an Amiga 500.

While we wait for the servers to fire up again

Sounds like it is caching before displaying. Not sure that I've seen that sort of activity since Netscape was a well respected browser. Might still be an option somewhere in you browser. Or could just be that you need to clean out unimportant cookies and temp files.

Or maybe you just need to upgrade to an Amiga 500.

Lol Opy :P

People new to World of Tanks;

Send me a private message with your game name and I'll invite you to the AtomicMPC World of Tanks clan.

This will automatically put you in the AMPC chat channel when you are in the Garage and you can ask questions to learn faster and join others in small platoons for some social fun.

If you prefer not to clan with us, no insult taken at all. Check the original post in this thread for our names and you can add us to your contacts and say hello any time you see us online and perhaps get into a platoon group that way or just ask quick questions.

Mojo, STFU !

We don't want to ruin the surprise damn it !

Nothing says "I love you" like a surprise 107 derpa-derp round in the back of the turret :P

Rather sneaky getting them from behind :P

Hehehe

Might be on tonight

I'm in a stupidly good mood for some reason, so ignore me if I speak jibberish on my newly bought headset :P

Edited by nobody813

Bugger bugger bugger

The server is being restarted

This means that the 5x XP could be over

I only got to 1 battle this evening :/

I've created a vent server, pm for details.

10 slots at the moment, should be more than ample.

I've created a vent server, pm for details.

10 slots at the moment, should be more than ample.

I'll apply when I know I'll actually talk

Otherwise, you won't hear me loling when Opy is talking about something slightly off topic :P

OP updated with link to Atomic clan, and instructions to PM Opy and Malkieri if interested in the clan and vent server