nobody813

[PC] Atomic World of Tanks Thread

Yeah, pretty good for those of us following Russian Heavy.

It seems unlikely I'll have an IS4 by then, but who knows when that will go live, right?

I should have the KV3 by then, and I've already got the KV2 turret.

There's a lot of whining German players at the moment, but it's not like they are having extra tanks put in mid-tree.

They'll add more mid-tree german tanks later, and no doubt do the same thing for them, just like they are now with the Panther.

Good too see new players

I've added you top the OP

I don't think I'll be at tier 5 any time soon

I have a T-28, but need a fair amount of XP to get it fully researched

I have unlocked the Pz III, but still can't afford it. Been working on getting all vehicles (except arty) up to tier 4, when I have been able to play

Yeah. I think getting everything up to tier 4, with one army, is best, especially for a new player.

I think I'm going to go Russian Heavy and Medium, as the grind for TDs, to get the SU-152 is extreme. The SU-100 is really bad.

Which is a pity, as I like they style of play, for Tank Destroyers, but I just can't face that grind. Problem is, as a tank you have a lot less dependency on other players. Tank destroyers, on the other hand, rely on your team not sucking. If you can't see the enemy, and you have to get in close, then their Heavies will just 1shot you after you fire at them the first time.

I'm 2000 XP from getting the KV-3.

But I'm at 800,000 credits, so I'll probably keep going on it and unlock it when I've got the cash, so that I use less of my FreeXP.

Downloading the client now, I will try and give it a go tonight

My user name is "themojorising" - creative no?

Edited by TheMojorising

I'm playing under the nick Thellazaron :)

I got an M2 Medium tank unlocked and fully upgraded, which was a lot of fun, but then I get curious about some tank destroyers... I'm in love. TDs suit my playing style, and while I need to work on them in built up maps like Himmelsdorf, they're a real hoot in more open maps. Not too far away from a Marder II, and will be happy as a pig in mud when I get a Hetzer.

I think it's time for a premium account!

Yeah, it's worth it for being able to platoon, and for farming.

Basically, it gives you +50% credits and XP, before repairs etc, which means it can actually double your earning rate if you die each battle, or spend a lot on ammo.

Some SPGs, spend thousands per shot!

The ones I'm using, it's around 540creds, every time I pull the trigger.

M2 is a fun tank.

I'd highly recommend the US lights. Playing the M3 Stuart is just pure joy :)

You know what they say :P "A Hetzer's gotta Hetz".

Fun TD to play, fantastic low profile, and great accuracy.

TDs can be frustrating, if your team is rubbish, you won't stand a chance. Many light tankers go and suicide trying to get your SPGs to shoot the enemy arty, but they tend to be better used scouting for your tank destroyers, hidden 300M ahead in bushes, so you can fire on their heavies with impunity.

Yeah. I think getting everything up to tier 4, with one army, is best, especially for a new player.

Yeah, I'll agree with that. Gets you a good mix of one nations tanks. Being a veteran (of sorts :P) I'm going as I did in the closed beta, everything

I think I'm going to go Russian Heavy and Medium, as the grind for TDs, to get the SU-152 is extreme. The SU-100 is really bad.

I got up to the SU-152 before the wipe, and it was pretty awesome. Never got the best 122mm gun for it though...

Downloading the client now, I will try and give it a go tonight

My user name is "themojorising" - creative no?

Added to the op

I'm playing under the nick Thellazaron :)

Added to the op Edited by nobody813

Had to resize my contacts window to fit everyone in the other day. Now there are more to add.

We'll be having Atomic clan days before long :)

If I research a Tiger right now, It'll leave me with about 16000 free xp. Very tempting. I've been holding off for a few days, working on real XP. 'tooning with TinBane helped a lot the other day.

Hopefully I'll be social enough over the next few days to do more platoons to help with XP. Keep an eye out for random messages from me. If you like to win, you may like to question my sobriety before accepting an offer of platooning. Beer and big guns go together so well.

So im going to start playing again and im under the name @jimba (when i tryed resetting my password before it changed my user name to this so thats what it is now)

@hawkeye: just a idea but how about a atomic platoon?

Any suggestions as to what I should start off with or doing?

I guess you should find the playing style that works for you. Tank, Tank Destroyer or SPG. So for your first week or 2, just grind through some tiers and get a feel for each type of tank and how it fits into a battle.

You might even like to look into the different roles you can play in each vehicle. For example, just looking at a turretted tank, The suicide scout can be a lot of fun, but expensive and short games. The careful scout is more tactical, usually more useful and cheaper if you manage to live but you don't get to do a lot of shooting if you do it right, so you're income is fairly low. Defender often pretends to be a TD by hiding behind the bushes beating up enemy scouts. The assault tank is the most common role, charging up the front lines to hold off and destroy the opposition.

I think you should always have a variety of vehicles. You might find you like scouting and hate playing arty, but if you know how to play arty then you'll learn what a scout should do to be useful.

And read the tips before every game. They are wise words.

First up, I'd read up on the three nations.

Ultimately, to get anywhere at a decent speed, you'll only research a subset of the vehicles.

For me, is was the USSR.

For others, it's the Germans, or the USA.

Here's the summary from the wiki:

"Careful German engineering made German vehicles the most accurate around. Use these tank's accuracy to their fullest and you will master the battlefield. The famous 88mm L/71 gun boasts the best overall accuracy and is available on many of the tanks, including the Tiger and the Panther. German self-propelled guns may not have as much firepower as their counterparts, but are not matched in accuracy and maneuverability.

German light scout tanks are the most maneuverable, thus making it much easier to zig-zag and avoid gun fire while trying to penetrate enemy lines.

Medium tanks tend to be larger targets then their counterparts. But, if you keep that in mind and stay at a distance from your enemies, the German guns will make short work of them.

If you think you see a large building moving on the battlefield, it's probably a German Heavy. Their thick armor allows German Heavy tanks to safely tread over everything on the battlefield as it creeps towards the enemy base.

German tank destroyers are fairly big and thus, hard to hide, but have the thickest armor in the game. Combine this armor with powerful cannons and the accuracy of a sniper, and these TDs shred tanks tiers above its own from across the field.

Self-propelled guns are accurate and very fast, allowing them to quickly change position after launching a shell, dodging any counter-battery lobbed their direction."

"Soviet engineers focused on large caliber guns, thus their tanks have the highest damage values around. Because the smaller tanks couldn't compete with their counterpart's armor thickness, it was compensated for with acute armor slope values and thus greatly increased effective armor as well as the chance of a shell ricocheting. Very cold Russian winters forced the tank developers to use diesel engines lest their fuel freezes in the gas tank. This is also why Soviet tank engines have a much lower chance of catching on fire compared to their gasoline-powered counterparts.

Soviet light tanks are the fastest around, and like most soviet tanks, have a small frontal profile and sloped armor.

Medium tanks are the fastest and most maneuverable, but to make the tanks so compact engineers had to store ammo in very vulnerable places, thus increasing the chance of ammo rack detonation.

Soviet heavies have the best values for everything except accuracy; their frontal armor thickness and slope make them almost invulnerable from the front.

Soviet tank destroyers make up in brute firepower what they lack in accuracy.

Soviet artillery are renowned for the amount of splash damage their shells cause, making them heavy, but cumbersome, hitters."

"American tanks are great overall tanks having good maneuverability, power, and accuracy, making them exceptionally versatile. American tanks also have some of the highest rates of fire, giving them the highest damage per minute with good accuracy, but they do lack hull armor.

Light American tanks pack a bit more of a punch than their counterparts, but do lack a bit in maneuverability and speed.

Medium tanks are perfect for variable strategies as they are able to both move quickly and deliver the fire power when needed.

Heavy US tanks have very weak hulls compared to their counterparts, but have nearly-impenetrable front turret armor.

American Tank Destroyers are still in development, but scheduled to be released soon.

American SPGs have good speed, but low acceleration, and their accuracy and fire power land somewhere between the Soviet and German artillery. This mix of speed, coupled with fair accuracy and firepower, make them the best overall SPGs."

Realistically, you will always end up playing heavy tanks, because that's what a tank game is about :P

Comparing them based on that, the Germans have the best static snipers, the Russians have the best heavies on the move, and the USA has the best dug in tanks.

German heavies do their best work undetected, out of enemy sight, where their high accuracy cannons blow holes in the enemy.

Russian heavies do their best work a bit closer, where their higher damage lower accuracy cannons can actually hit, but they have to keep moving to avoid arty and TD fire.

American tanks have insane frontal armour on their turrets. They can use burnt out tank corposes to shield their hull (called going "hull down") then blast over the top with impunity. However this leaves them vulnerable to arty fire, and it's not really a position that allows you a lot of maneuvering space. However, on the move, American heavies can be among the fastest which is good for repositioning.

So im going to start playing again and im under the name @jimba (when i tryed resetting my password before it changed my user name to this so thats what it is now)

@hawkeye: just a idea but how about a atomic platoon?

Platoons are made by premium account users, and can have a total number of 3 players. They are temporary groups, basically enabling mates to play in the same battles (on the same team of course :P)

Clans are much bigger. I think an ATOMIC clan would be a great idea

Would you like me to try and make one?

I can do it here

Before anyone makes one, we should decide on the clan name, tag, and other info

An example would be AtomicMPC [ATOMIC]

Edited by nobody813

I'll make the group.

If hawkeye has to hand in his account later, we might not be able to tranfer "ownership" of the clan.

Unless Opy want to make it.

Are there any specific requirements for clan leader?

From the link above, looks like anyone could do it

Should do a vote

I'd be happy to do it too :P

Any idea what roles can be set?

If there were say a leader, then deputies, I'd be happy to be one of them. The veteran players, players who are on a lot, and Atomic users with "higher roles" (mods, editor...) could take the higher roles

That's if these roles/positions actually exist :P

Edited by nobody813

Tag can't be ATOMIC, can only fit ATOMI in.

AtomicMPC[ATOM]?

EDIT: You got gold? The only requirement (I think) is that the leader spend gold, or something to pay a fee.

I'm not sure about roles, but having officers or whatever is the norm for this kind of thing.

Edited by TinBane

Looking at the PANZAC clan (one I was almost in), you have a Commander (unsure if transferable), and recruits

Still doesn't answer if there are any other roles...

I'm keen on joining the clan, whoever starts it.

I'm still mucking around tier I/II german tanks, having fun with the SPG and TD atm.

Tag can't be ATOMIC, can only fit ATOMI in.

AtomicMPC[ATOM]?

EDIT: You got gold? The only requirement (I think) is that the leader spend gold, or something to pay a fee.

I'm not sure about roles, but having officers or whatever is the norm for this kind of thing.

If gold is needed, I'm out. I'd be happy for a "higher Atomic user" to make the clan, with a permanent account

I don't know if hawkeye's is

Looking at this, there are very few with anything to do with atomic

Looks like Something along the lines of ATOM or AMPC is possible

I'm keen on joining the clan, whoever starts it.

I'm still mucking around tier I/II german tanks, having fun with the SPG and TD atm.

Good to hear

All forum users that have posted their name and WoT ID here are eligble

Thinking about it, even if I could make the clan, I'm already looking after this thread, so that would be unpractical and unfair

EDIT: Why has this thread received no ratings using that new fang dangled system? :P

Edited by nobody813

Do we all have to be of the same faction or anything like that to play with each other?

No. We can all have different tanks from different classes from different tiers from different nations...

We use whatever

One thing that we will end to do is all use vehicles of similar tiers, and have a decent spread of vehicles. Don't want to have a huge spread between vehicles (except possibly scout vehicles), and if we go for teh lower end stuff now, it'll allow more players to successfully fight, rather than being in a Pz II while your teams mates are in Tigers

Well, so far you and Opy are the biggest proponents of this game.

So maybe Opy should, if he's happy to pay the cost to create the clan.

It's 2,500 Gold to create a clan, which is about $10 if you buy gold 12,000 at a time.

EDIT: and just for the record, I'm happy to pay, if the cost is an issue.

Edited by TinBane

Well, so far you and Opy are the biggest proponents of this game.

So maybe Opy should, if he's happy to pay the cost to create the clan.

It's 2,500 Gold to create a clan, which is about $10 if you buy gold 12,000 at a time.

EDIT: and just for the record, I'm happy to pay, if the cost is an issue.

Woh, that is a lot. So far, both you and opy have been playing it a lot, and reguraly posting here

I'd be happy for either for youd to do it

Oh and if there are any platoons going tonight, I'd love to play too. Only problem is me being quite a low rank :P

Don't worry about rank man.

I still play Tier 2 and Tier 3 lights a fair bit. In fact, I've been playing them whenever my KV is still in battle and destroyed.

Oh yeah, that's a good tip in itself.

David: If you die in a battle, hit escape and you can leave the battle if you don't want to watch it, and start a new battle with any other tank. However, don't research on the tank that just got knocked out until the battle resolves, or you'll waste the XP from that battle, and you'll use some from your free XP pool instead.

Edit: Opy, let me know. I think you'd probably be a better leader, but I'm happy to if you'd rather spend your 2500 gold on loltrakor shots :P~

Edited by TinBane