nobody813

[PC] Atomic World of Tanks Thread

My GFs PC struggles with WoT. Very grainy and graphically laggy.

New video card just arrived.

Gainward GTX560 Ti Phantom2 with 2Gb GDDR5.

Hoping that makes all the difference.

Is it on minimum?

I play 1024x768 on lowest, so my 4150 rubbish integrated AMD on the laptop works.

Man, can't wait for my Desktop to get out of storage.

Got approved to rent a place this weekend, so hopefully by next weekend, when we've moved, I'll be on ADSL 2, 500M from the exchange, with my Desktop.... I'm probably going to double my kill rate :P~

I like that list :)

Crusader will be interesting, especially with the 6pdr (and it'd be a T III or IV tank maybe)

I hope they do include the Mk VII Churchill, not only the Mk III as is seen in the Russian tree (I want an extra 50mm armor and some serious firepower!!!)

Cromwell and Comet will be quite good. The Cromwell has a good mix of things. Good speed and mobility, reasonable gun, and it isn't high like a Sherman :P

And that GTX 560 Ti should do good, I can max it out on a GTX 275 (with lag when there is lots of bushes and grass)

Good to get some more players

I have a few mates that play it, but are not one the forums. I'll try and get them to join here

Got approved to rent a place this weekend, so hopefully by next weekend, when we've moved, I'll be on ADSL 2, 500M from the exchange, with my Desktop.... I'm probably going to double my kill rate :P~

Congrats mate

You platoon much last night?

Nah, not much.

I'm hoping to be home and tanking it up by 16:00 Melbourne time.

i really need to find time to play this...So much work to do!

oh and im working my way through batman AA...

Edited by jdog

The nerve !

How dare they grant 5x XP bonus (on first win of the day for each vehicle) on Mother's Day?

And how dare they not call me and warn me about it earlier so I had enough time to bump off my mother to free up the day!

So inconsiderate.

Their protection wasn't great, their guns were passable only, and their petrol engines caught on fire pretty easily.

Did you know they used to be nick-named Ronsons? After the lighter - lights up first time, every time.

Seriously? WOW!

I guess the crews had a lot of faith in them :P~

5X XP is still running today.

Your first battle with each tank is worth 5X XP, and all upgrade items (like camo) are half price.

I'm going to try and save up for Binoculars :)

well in the space of time I've started playing this game, I've stuck completely to the German Tech Tree - I havnt really looked at the other trees at all. Dont know If I should or not. I'm up to Tier 4 in all classes finally unlocking the Grille last night.

Like any other tank straight outta the shop - its a piece of shit. Turning circle speed of a dying wombat. I'm hoping the upgrades add a lot of improvement. Especially annoying when your teamed up with peeps in the quicker tanks that resort to cresting hills instead of spotting for me :(

Loving my hetzer though, the FOV is pretty piss poor but least I do some real damage with the damn thing. Hooked it up with some cheap camo. Might have to check out whatr other stuff I can buy.... Just a shame I havnt got much patience for just sitting there and hoping some dumb arse crawls into your crosshairs.

Question: If I buy Camo and Binocs and whatnot and assign them to a tier 4 tank - can i unequip it later to put on a higher tier tank when I get there?

Edited by TheMojorising

Mojo's Battle Hetzer was a thing of unparalleled beauty last night, wasting targets slightly to the left and right of center, and ramming those directly in front.

Never seen a Hetzer ram kill before, that's for sure.

Never seen a Hetzer ram kill before, that's for sure.

I was dueling with a Stug this morning, and ended up ramming it, which knocked a track off, before back off a yard and unloading with a 105mm HE shell - boom. Possibly the most intense bit of gaming I've had recently!

No reason a hetzer can't ram anything with lighter armour :P I've seen a light tank ram a hetzer and come off second best!

Some items you can re-equip, some you can't.

Binocs and Camo (AFAIK) you can.

The ones you can't, have a lock icon!

LOL.

One thing NOT to ram, is a churchill. A lot of medium and even heavy tanks don't get that.

Im not sure whether it was the ramming impact or the shell i fired off at the same time that destroyed him hahahaha.

I will likely be on for some platooning for a little bit tonight.

The text and voice chat functionality in game is shithouse imo.... so depending how my finances I may consider organising a vent server - if only for 5 or so people...

Yeah, a vent server sounds good. How much do they go for these days?

Get an aussie hosted one.

I'll contribute, and I'll use it (once I get off 3G "broadband").

Yeah, I'm going to try and be on tonight too. Not too far away from unlocking my a Stug - anyone have any experience with them here? Especially compared to the Hetzer I've been tooling around in :)

Stug's are pretty nice

I found it a bit easier to use than the Hetzer

Compared to the other tier 5 TD's, it's gun is lacking, even when fully upgraded, which is a lot of trouble seeing as the 5 TD's get put up in the higher battles

I should be on tonight also

Could get multiple platoons going, or a company

I prefer the hetzer, tbh.

The stug's gun isn't good enough for it's tier, and it feels less armoured than the hetzer.

That makes sense, actually. There are shot-traps all over the Stug, and even though it was used as a TD, it was originally built as a support gun. The Hetzer does have less armour, but the sloped design is really good for its role.

Yeah, a vent server sounds good. How much do they go for these days?

Get an aussie hosted one.

I'll contribute, and I'll use it (once I get off 3G "broadband").

Bigpond have cheap vent/teamspeak servers, 10 slots, $5/month.

I'll set it up tonight when I get home from uni if people are keen.

GameArena Server Rentals

I tried this MMO on the weekend in FTP and it seems not bad so far. Just upgraded my first tank ,the only problem is understanding all ammo types. It seems to have a steep learning curve very similar to EVE online with all the research points and such. Is it worth upgrading Premium? or just buy the Gold?. Playing in windowed mode it looks great but full screen it does look grainy and out of date graphics.

Okay, the premium ammo is worth it for some tanks, but really, it's a waste of gold.

Which means money.

You are far better (if you choose to buy gold) spending it on getting a premium account, etc.

However, play it for free, before investing (IMHO).

For ammo, that means there are two types of shots.

The first is AP

The second is HE

First, you should change your settings for the HUD. Change the aiming point, to be a cross with armour penetration as it's display type. It's a drop down.

This way, you'll get a green, yellow, orange, red indicator, of the odds of your shell going through their armour.

Basically:

If you are a long way away, use HE - It doesn't matter how far you are, it still does damage and has a chance to penetrate.

If you are fighting an enemy that your AP shots won't penetrate, use HE - HE shots don't need to penetrate to deal damage.

If you are using HE shells, and the reticule tells you they will penetrate, use HE - HE shots do more damage if they penetrate.

If you are using AP shells, and they penetrate, use AP - AP shots will penetrate armour that your HE shots will explode without penetrating.

Most of the time, your AP shots will penetrate, your HE shots will not.

So use AP shots most of the time, unless you are getting a lot of "ricochet" announcements.

If your AP shots bounce off, use HE. At extreme range, use HE.

I use a mix of 2/3 AP to 1/3 HE shots, and I rarely run out of one over the other. For Tank Destroyers, more HE shots can be good, as you tend to fight from long range.

Super ammo is as you stated.

It's higher penetration on normal ammo, or rarely, higher damage instead.

The bonus depends heavily on the gun.

It can be as variable as +100% penetration for some (like the LOLTraktor) to +20% and barely worth it for others.

Normally, the better the gun, the less benefit the ammo gives you.

I like to think it's an "option" to help you get past a crappy gun on a tank, but in reality, it's pretty expensive. For the cost of one shell (10G maybe) you can "move" 250XP into free XP from an elite level tank.

Mojorising: It's hard to get your head around at first. I read the entire battle mechanics article, and didn't quite get it. It takes a bit of experience trying things out to see how it works. HE because of it's high damage and "splash" effect (it hits an area of the tank, HE shots only hit where the projectile lands) is great at killing crew, hitting weakpoints and damaging components.

For example, enough weak tanks, will eventually kill a powerful tank if they can survive long enough, using HE shells. Some extremely powerful heavily armoured tanks, have vulnerable spots, that mean that HE shots in particular, will deal significant damage if they strike near the area.

This tends to be noted in the entry on the wiki, for the tank.

A good example is the T-34 onward (ie the T-34-85, T-43, T-44, T-55) USSR tanks, have vulnerable areas where they store ammo. Hit those with an HE shot (or hit near them) and the entire tank might go up, or at least lose ammo and take bonus damage.

A bit of research, but also just play and get a feel when to use different ammo. I'm beginning to get it, and can certainly see my play improving as I start switching ammo types at the right time.

Urge to play... rising.