Mr Dump

First time you got electrocuted and how...

Yeah i've been xapped before. ahahahahaha.

No but really, a while back i got asked to look after my neighbours animals for $50 for 2 weeks, so there are like horses, pigs, sheep, chickens etc, and so i go down to feed the chickens through the fence wire, and it's on a slope, and i manage to trip and fall straight on to the electric fox wire, well the first thing that happened was it felt like something smashed me in the back, and my exact first thought was 'fuck it's an angry farmer' then i got thrown back about a metre up the slope!, and i sat there on my ass and i think to myself 'well shit i just managed to electrocute myself you idiot , well fucking done'

I remember it so vividly.

PS - ow

Yeah i've been xapped before. ahahahahaha.

No but really, a while back i got asked to look after my neighbours animals for $50 for 2 weeks, so there are like horses, pigs, sheep, chickens etc, and so i go down to feed the chickens through the fence wire, and it's on a slope, and i manage to trip and fall straight on to the electric fox wire, well the first thing that happened was it felt like something smashed me in the back, and my exact first thought was 'fuck it's an angry farmer' then i got thrown back about a metre up the slope!, and i sat there on my ass and i think to myself 'well shit i just managed to electrocute myself you idiot , well fucking done'

I remember it so vividly.

PS - ow

A live wire for foxes threw you that far? Methinks he had the voltage up too high lol.

A live wire for foxes threw you that far? Methinks he had the voltage up too high lol.

Yeah this is the guy who killed his family's pet pig and fed it to them without telling them, he's a cunt.

Edit: Though my dad did end up killing their rooster with his sling shot cos it kept waking him up in the morning...

Edited by Xap

Trying to tighten up a desk lamp as a kid. Finger in the socket by accident. Finger out of the socket in double time.

+1

I can't believe someone else did this too.

Oh my god, that makes three of us hehe. God that hurt.

Have also done that, but it wasn't an accident...

Yeah this is the guy who killed his family's pet pig and fed it to them without telling them, he's shit a cunt.

oh my :P

Somewhat related, one other dumb thing I've done with AC (not mains AC though)...

Prior to linux.conf.au I had managed to lose the antenna for my bicycle, so I soldered a BNC connector to a SO-239 socket and mounted that on the antenna mount so I could use a commercial antenna.

On the Monday on the way to LCA, I noticed there was a bit of a dry joint. Whilst the radio was transmitting I put my fingers between centre pin and earth on the BNC connector. 25W RMS at a frequency of 147.675MHz went straight across my fingertips, warming them up in an instant. I let go pretty quick.

At 50Ω antenna impedance, there'd be something like 25Vrms across the terminals, so not lethal. My other radio on the other hand can do 100W, and thus would be far worse.

Oh i remembered something from this year, i was having trouble with my AC, so i got some electricians to come by, and i mention off hand that the light in my room keeps flickering, so they go in there, and it turns out the entire light and actual light socket which is metal has been wired completely wrong, and if i had ever tried to change the light globe i would have been electricuted really bad, possibly killed. They actually went to their truck got a camera and took photos cos it was so rare to see something so terribly wired.

So that's like a dodged bullet, i'd been living there like 6 months, and i had changed the globe, just didn't touch the fitting...luckily.

I can't remember the first times <-- plural, but I regularly get a static shock from the damn shopping trolleys, wifey has got wise too as I sneakily push the trolley close to her arse !!

Bzzzzt.. OochYOUBAS..............

I do remember our science teacher showing us one of his macho schoolkid endeavours though.. He and his ilk thought it macho to put two prongs in the outlet and using first & second finger on same hand, touch the prongs and see who's macho dickheaded enough to last the longest.

funniest shock encounter I saw was my brother with his head under the bonnet of his car (me in the drivers seat). He had hung the excess timing light lead up on the bonnet catch... insulation not that good though and he got a kick through the side of his neck which made him jerk his head upwards and bang his bonce on the bonnet.. which made him jerk his head downwards and reconnect with the dodgy insulation which made him jerk his head up and whack the bonnet which..... carried on till I killed the engine.. before I died of laughter.

1. once when I was a kid, we had an old frayed jug cord which I'd "rescued" from the trash, and I promptly plugged it in and got tingly sensations from holding the exposed bits.

2. I was dismantling some old crt terninals, and I'd popped the power supply out, with the IEC connector in it, and I'd plugged a live cable into the connector without realising the socket was soldered to the board I was holding and pushing against. bam

I shouldnt be laughing but some of these are funny - glad you are all alive!

The static electricity reminds me of another-....so my wife drives home from uptown, and I greet her in the driveway to help unload bags etc, and if she is wearing certain clothing (polyester?), we get a zap lip to lip with our 'welcome home' kiss! (sorry for gory details haha)

I used to study repairs on the old cathode ray TV's . My first Zap is when i did not let the capacitors discharge long enough. Tried to remove a small board near the Power Supply board ,next thing i was lying on the ground . Must have been only seconds on the ground but it was a horrible feeling afterwards ,i was shaking and dehydrated something bad.

Stuck a knife into a power point when I was 3. Got thrown across the room instead of dying, thanks to safety switches that were installed the week beforehand. Fun times.

Surprisingly, first time was 2 days ago.

Light switch lost it's spring, and stupid me thinking " oh how hard will it be to change a light switch "

Did I learn my lesson. All the muscles in my arms were pulsating and I could feel my heart jump. Never doing that again...

My dad was teaching us kids about electricity using this ancient large wind up thing that must've had a fair number capacitors in there to store the charge.

So anyway, he gives this thing a wind and pokes his head around it and says to me, now grab that wire and that wire, so I did and, ouch, that zapped me. Only a little zap though, all good.

So my middle brother wants a go so dad winds it a little bit again and my middle brother grabbed both wires and sure enough, he too was zapped.

Finally, it was my youngest brothers turn, he was only 6-7 at the time. My dad cranked the handle, but my brother said nothing was happening and he didn't get zapped. So dad's winding this thing furiously, and still nothing. Then my middle brother says, 'you idiot, you need to grab both wires, like this...' *BANG*...

So yeah, I had one laughing smart arse younger brother, one distressed father, and one singed middle brother. He was fine though. :)

:)

I was about three, had a toy fire engine and was down behind the couch playing with it and thought I'd stick the ladder into a power socket....

In those days most toys were metal, according to my mother I was blown clean across the room, sort of bounced off the back of the couch I suppose and was laying on the ground twitching with the engine still in my hands. No harm done, apart from very "shocked" mother :)

Electric fences, yeah, I grew up in Somerset in the UK, the bloody things were everywhere, forever getting zapped :)

I think the funniest though was a cousin of mine who was um, doing the deed, in the great outdoors and they rolled into a cattle fence....Said it gave her quite the tingle but not one she wanted to repeat.... :)

Cheers

My dad was teaching us kids about electricity using this ancient large wind up thing that must've had a fair number capacitors in there to store the charge.

So anyway, he gives this thing a wind and pokes his head around it and says to me, now grab that wire and that wire, so I did and, ouch, that zapped me. Only a little zap though, all good.

So my middle brother wants a go so dad winds it a little bit again and my middle brother grabbed both wires and sure enough, he too was zapped.

Finally, it was my youngest brothers turn, he was only 6-7 at the time. My dad cranked the handle, but my brother said nothing was happening and he didn't get zapped. So dad's winding this thing furiously, and still nothing. Then my middle brother says, 'you idiot, you need to grab both wires, like this...' *BANG*...

So yeah, I had one laughing smart arse younger brother, one distressed father, and one singed middle brother. He was fine though. :)

My grandfather had a similar thing for testing spark plugs and my sister and I used to take turns shocking each other ( almost Simpsons style).

My first 240 shock was about 8 when I was fixing a cassette radio ( mechanical fault) with the case removed and the power on so I could watch the mechanism. Brushed a screwdriver across something bad and Bang! Both parents rushed into the room as they heard the sound, there was a scortch mark on the desk and a very guilty looking kid still alive. Mum freaked, dad said if I'm alive I've learned my lesson!

Edited by baalbeck

First shock was when i was 9, put 3fingers in a light switch... blew every light in the house and also took out the circuit breaker at the same time, god that hurt,

my whole arm was numb for what felt like half the day...

I reckon I end up shocking myself at least 2x a year from age 9 messing with things I wasn't suppose to, even shocked myself on a 3phase electric motor 80ft

underground 3 years ago, now that hurts 10x more then anything Ive ever experienced before :(

All these pushed/blown back stories surprise me.

When I was 8-9 and did the ole pulling the power cord out by curling my fingers around the plug and got a zap, I couldn't move. During it, it felt like I'd never be able to move. Luckily I must have only been making slight contact and the shudder in my body was enough to break it. My entire arm was in pain and I couldn't use my fingers properly for a few minutes.

It's variable Tantryl, mostly the muscle spasm is what throws people off but I've heard tales from sparkies of having pull people off who were stuck to a live circuit and usually those people get deep painful electrical burns.

Then again sparkies get so used to the odd zap they hardly notice.

Cases in point:

Used to know an old German sparkie ho rewired my house for me - got the odd zap, just noted it and went on working.

I once employed a cabler whose dad was a sparkie, he claimed he had seen steam rising off his dad's arm - I found that far-fetched but he swore it was true.

Cheers

I zapped myself a few times with an ancient capacitor tester my dad had, went flying across the room. I felt like my heart was going to leap out of me it was beating so hard afterwards.

All these pushed/blown back stories surprise me.

I think the blown across the room is more a reflex action, the electricity will have the effect of making you hold on to the plug. if you're going to test if a wire is live use the back of your hand so it flicks away when your muscles contract :P

When I was 8-9 and did the ole pulling the power cord out by curling my fingers around the plug and got a zap

And this is why our plugs must have insulated pins now

Australia Day, this year.

Was using an electric hedge trimmer to carve down a bush in the backyard in preparation for a party. Accidentally hit some metal wire that was inside the foliage (don't ask me why it was there). Anyway, it jammed the teeth up on the trimmer so I opened it up to have a tinker. Once I was satisfied that it was going to work, I plugged it back in and gave it a test. Worked brilliantly.

I then went to put the cover back on, but just as i let go of the handle, I got electrocuted. It wasn't like anything I've ever experienced, I thought getting electrocuted would be hot and 'zappy' (for lack of a better word). However, I felt shockwaves going through my whole body, my arm was shaking violently and I couldn't let go at all for 10 seconds, I was on the ground screaming, grasping the hedge trimmer. My girlfriend was horrified as she looked on.

When I finally managed to let go, I didn't stop shaking for about an hour, I was in shock and thought I was going to die. I had a hole in the side of my hand that just recently finished healing.

Ouch again...

Once knew a guy who carved himself up pretty good with one of those hedge trimmers - I've never owned one, nor intend to :)

In the UK plugs have fuses, seems a good idea, not seen it here in Oz, ever.

Cheers

That's scary kamerong. All my encounters, from the first light socket incident to a faulty power supply shock at uni a couple of weeks ago have been the type where the shock pulls me away quickly. I've never been latched on (but have been warned of it) or have it pass close to me chest.

That's scary kamerong. All my encounters, from the first light socket incident to a faulty power supply shock at uni a couple of weeks ago have been the type where the shock pulls me away quickly. I've never been latched on (but have been warned of it) or have it pass close to me chest.

DC is the one to be really careful of. it will just lock the muscle so it is hard to get away... (so im told). We had a 260vdc battery bank at work for various testing / experiments.

Re uni powersupply - thats is terrible i hope you threw the thing in the bin!