ankhe

Bad drivers or bad card?

Built myself a new rig a couple months back, has been great but I've been having trouble running games of late. When playing, the screen goes black, then blacker black (as in its gone black on purpose then got no signal at all) followed by game getting minimized and a little message saying video drivers have recovered from failure. It is possible to continue playing if it's a game that doesn't normally commit seppuku on alt-tab. This happens on an off. The other problem I often have is the screen becoming vertical stripes, generally of a similar color to the games palette at the time. Sometimes it comes right after a few seconds sometimes it locks up completely, and the in-game sound continues as usual like the game keeps on playing behind the wall of stripey fail.

Culprits are Blood Bowl LE, Just Cause 2, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, Left 4 Dead 2, Modern Warfare 2. Possibly others I don't remember. There are also number of games that run without issue both old and new.

Anyways its bloody annoying, Ive tried clean format with newest drivers but no dice. Swapped the HD5870 out for my old HD2900 to try and isolate the problem some more. Both problems solved, except that old reliable is made of old. Could it just be 5870 drivers having a hissy or maybe the card itself? or something I have not thought of? Sadly I don't have a spare 5870 to check it that way.

Running win7 32bit, 8gig Corsair 1600 (I know, 32 bit is no good for 8gig ram etc.. its on the 'to upgrade' list), core i5 760, ASUS P7P55D-E PRO mobo, XFX 650W psu. Should be with a Powercolor HD5870 but its sitting on the desk beside the tower being a reject right now.

Please excuse my disjointed chicken scrawl, any advice is welcome. Cheers.

First of all, you realise you could download the Win7 64bit installer and use your 32bit key with it right?

2nd, it sounds like your card is playing up, mate of mine had a similar problem with his and had to RMA it.

The vertical stripes sound like artifacts to me and the lock up with repeating sound can also be a sign of that, when one of my GPUs was dying years back it would do the same thing.

I get the same issue with my GTX260 about once a month. Usually my Windows Action Center pops saying i recovered from Video Hardware fault. Looking at my situation i now it its probably a bent pin in DVI port causing ,this also cause's the streaks and lines too.

Only way to test for bent pin is move the DVI cable when you are playing a game.

I acutally think its the drivers, when Nukey gave me his 4870 i had issues like this. Lock ups and windows saying the drivers had failed. I cant really remember what i did, i think i uninstalled and used drive sweeper but also downloaded an older version of ATI's drivers. It took me ages but after it was fixed the card worked fine.

Odd I on occasion have the exact same problem and I'm running a HIS 5870... Seem to get it randomly in games such as SupCom1 thought it was just locking up would go one colour and just stop working. I get weird colours in Crysis all over the damn place but reinstall drivers and need to test if it was just that. Or on highest settings or any settings the water gives off weird colours all over the place just at the water edge to sky.

Odd I on occasion have the exact same problem and I'm running a HIS 5870... Seem to get it randomly in games such as SupCom1 thought it was just locking up would go one colour and just stop working. I get weird colours in Crysis all over the damn place but reinstall drivers and need to test if it was just that. Or on highest settings or any settings the water gives off weird colours all over the place just at the water edge to sky.

Sounds like the Video Card is Overheating. Check the Fan and make sure its working and the exhaust on card is free of dust.

I know for a fact its not overheating I can run that thing on ATITool for ages and no artifacts then and doesn't overheat even a bit. Except you can hear the whining of the electricity its using lol.

I know for a fact its not overheating I can run that thing on ATITool for ages and no artifacts then and doesn't overheat even a bit. Except you can hear the whining of the electricity its using lol.

Have you looked in Fan Area for signs of wear on the inside of Cooling area? Could be either the Fan is clipping something or the Bearings in the Fan are wearing out.

How do you go about RMAing parts lol... I wonder is it possible to RMA somethign and add a little cash to get a new version of your current card? Most probably not but might as well ask.

Eh I was hoping not to have to RMA the thing, its still under 1 year manufacturer warranty at least. Being able to move to x64 for free is gold, onto that shit.

Are there alternate drivers at all for it other than old ones, like ya used to be able to use omega drivers? are they still around?