King_TriTAN

Skyrim

If you're like me you salivate over every detail you find on Skyrim, some of you may be purposely avoiding it so as to experience the game without expectations, regardless I'll be adding new content to this thread when I find it.

Bon appetite.

Pictures

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here are few a few extracts of previews that have stuck out for me, but I've linked a list of recent previews for Skyrim.

http://bethblog.com/index.php/2011/04/18/n...-for-a-landing/

The menus are pure sex, basically. The crisp, floating text, tiered menus and full 3D renderings of every inventory item is light years ahead of the fugly boxes and fuzzy, endless lists of Oblivion and Fallout 3. Seriously: these may be the best-looking in-game menus in history.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/04/18...s-about-skyrim/

When Howard boots up the demo and we enter the massive province of Skyrim, the visual upgrade is striking. It's an astonishingly realized world, this particular region of the game's expansive realm being blanketed in snow that drifts softly from the sky. Howard stops to take a look at the flakes as they cover a rock in real time. Off in the distance, we see a massive snow-covered mountain that he identifies as the "Throat of the World," the largest one in Skyrim. You can walk to that mountain, he says, and ascend the 7,000 steps to its peak.

As Howard moves his character casually throughout the world, it truly feels alive. In an area not coated in crisp white snow, we see far more green; flowers dot a field, and he stops to pluck one to add to his inventory. He later pauses to admire a flowing river that's splashing against rocks, and I spot fish jumping from the water.

http://www.destructoid.com/preview-the-eld...im-199017.phtml

In practice, the new game looks noticeably more detailed than Oblivion and Fallout 3, but it's not a generational leap or anything, at least on the 360. Bethesda didn't show the PC version of the game, but Howard noted it will use DirectX 9-level shaders, though you'll see a performance increase by running the game on a DX11 card.

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/skyrim-is-lo...s-evolved/3048/

Here are a number of written interviews & podcasts from those at Bethesda.

Todd Howard with IGN

We've always used a lot of our own stuff, mixed with other middleware that we liked. Coming off of Fallout 3, we made a pretty big list of what we wanted to change technically. So we redid the rendering, lighting, shadows, animation, faces, foliage, mountains, scripting, interface and more. And by the time we got through it all, it was clear the technology was new enough to give it its own name, The Creation Engine. Same with our editor, The Creation Kit. They go together as technology.

Some of that you'll notice as a player, like shadows, mountains, and the animations; some you won't, like how scripting or pathfinding works internally. If you looked quickly at our editor, it behaves similar to our old ones; it just does a lot more, and does some old things in better ways. But we don't change things just to change them. We still use the nif file format, because it worked fine for what we're doing and our modders know it well. We still use some middleware that we like, such as Havok. We're not just using their physics this time, but their animation system, Havok Behavior. It makes a dramatic difference in how the game looks and plays. Overall though, the paradigm for how we build these huge worlds has not changed dramatically, we just want it to look better and play more smoothly.

http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/115/1158651p1.html

Matt Grandstaff with Gamespy

Yeah, there are plenty of great mods out there that impress folks at our office. When I do "What we’re playing" on Bethesda Blog, it's always interesting to see that some of our devs, like animator Gary Noonan, are always checking out the latest community mods.

Off the top of my head, Skycaptain's Deadly Reflex mod is one that our team has taken a closer look at, as we've been implementing a more visceral combat system in TES V.

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View...etail&id=89

Todd Howard with OXM

We start over each time, we change it up each time. We're not afraid to try new things. Some of those are successful, some not, but overall we've avoided pumping out sequels that don't feel unique and special. I have always been a fan of the Ultima games, and I'm still inspired by how they evolved from Ultima 3 to Ultima 7.

As far as it being different from other fantasy universes - there's so many, so it's hard to say. Every fantasy world has its uniqueness and similarities to those that have come before. What we try to do, is treat it like a real place. Like a place that happened in some alternate history. That despite it being fantastical, when you play the games it feels completely authentic for what it is, almost historical.

http://www.oxm.co.uk/26165/interviews/excl...-elder-scrolls/

Todd Howard poscast with OXM

http://dl.uksites.futureus.com/cvg/static/OXM_podcast4.mp3

Todd Howard and Pete Hines podcast on the official Bethesda Blog.

http://www.bethblog.com/podcast/

Edited by King_TriTAN

sounds like its just going to get a quick port to pc

looks better in some ways and worse in others vs the nehrim mod for oblivon

imo only a small improvement over oblivon and i dont hold hy hopes for the gameplay being a console rpg but with some luck it will suprise me

Edited by Dasa

after looking closer at the ingame shots, its looking more and more like they have done a tiny update to the oblivion engine, i really hope its not

the Gamebryo engine updated, the game could be done alot better in other game engines in terms of graphics performance and scaling, they better

use higher rez textures on the pc, so we dont need to wait for a high rez texture pack like we did for oblivion, if they can get that right, it should be

one hell of a game.

they didnt bother with high res textures for pc with fallout or oblivion they just let modders do the work for them so i cant see them changing there attitude

if they had made some higher res textures i think they would have shown them off

our only chance would have been if they made quality textures and compressed them for consoles

even then there is the limitations of a old 32bit engine to prevent them using real good textures but mods have proven they could do better even with what they have

so we just have to hope for gameplay quest and story improvements over oblivon

Edited by Dasa

I remember Todd saying in a Game Informer podcast the PC version will have higher resolution textures and that any PC features like 64-bit support will be tackled later into development if they have time. I think people are being cynical over the visuals, they look better than Oblivion and the Nehrim mod. Brad Shoemaker says "In practice, the new game looks noticeably more detailed than Oblivion and Fallout 3", that coming from him has a lot of substance.

But people are right when they say Skyrim is being built for the X360 first and then built secondly for the PS3 and PC, I remember Todd saying he games primarily on the X360 now a days, I also remember Oblivion and Fallout 3 selling the lions share on the X360 in contrast to the PS3 and PC. In my unpopular opinion, Bethesda are doing the right thing by servicing their primary fan base first.

Edited by King_TriTAN

Yep, Two Worlds looks far better than this graphically. Lets hope the gameplay is still good. It is just an updated version of the Oblivion engine btw, they updated it so much they renamed it though.

from my limited understanding adding 64bit support to a game dosent really do anything except perhaps leave modders more room to move

no current games are truly made to make use of the benefits 64bit provides as we are stuck several years in the past in the days of games using stuff all ram so im sure not expecting this from skyrim that would be asking to much as its not really doable with any port

cranking the res on low quality textures helps a little but a blurry photo is still a blurry photo now mater how much you increase the res you cant add whats not there

at the end of the day how much better it looks than there older games will largely come down to your taste in art

this is just my opinion and i can understand how some think it looks a lot nicer i guess its just not to my taste kinda like how some people think stalker looks like shit but i love it

Vanilla Oblivion is alot uglier than Skyrim is. The faces and armour are kind of disappointing though, as they are a massive part in ever elder scrolls game.

Although as it stands, everything in Skyrim has a "plastic" sort of look to it. Even the Khajit, which is a shame.

from my limited understanding adding 64bit support to a game dosent really do anything except perhaps leave modders more room to move

no current games are truly made to make use of the benefits 64bit provides as we are stuck several years in the past in the days of games using stuff all ram so im sure not expecting this from skyrim that would be asking to much as its not really doable with any port

64bits allows you to address larger pools of memory which in certain circumstances can boost performance, I wouldn't think it directly benefits modders unless they're writing memory management systems (or are drawing texture files larger than 4gb) but then again all that Todd has said is if they have time they'll add it in and yes you can add it in after it's been built.

cranking the res on low quality textures helps a little but a blurry photo is still a blurry photo now mater how much you increase the res you cant add whats not there

Like I said the PC version will come with higher res textures, how high Todd didn't specify.

at the end of the day how much better it looks than there older games will largely come down to your taste in art

I don't think that's fair, they're using a new rendering engine, every object will now cast a shadow (something apparently Oblivion could not do), there are meteorological effects, a new animation system, an in house branching system. Skyrim is not merely a new coat of paint, like Nuke says and I agree with him, Oblivion does not look this good. Edited by King_TriTAN

I have no doubt that this will be a beautiful and fun game to play.

Whether or not it has as much impact as Oblivion did with its graphics and environment is anyones guess.

Will be interesting to see some PC footage at some point though.

For some sad reason Im especially interested in this new menu system they are talking about.

I will sex whoever finds a pic or vid of it....

I don't think that's fair, they're using a new rendering engine, every object will now cast a shadow (something apparently Oblivion could not do), there are meteorological effects, a new animation system, an in house branching system. Skyrim is not merely a new coat of paint, like Nuke says and I agree with him, Oblivion does not look this good.

looking at the screen shots above i dont think every object is casting shadows... but the shadows that are being cast are far more detailed than the blobs in oblivion

going by the info we have so far it is a heavily? updated engine that is made to work with 6 year old technology so it is a small evolution nothing more although i have no doubt they put a lot of work into tweaking things so they would look and run better on a 360 than oblivion but the graphics will be much the same or worse than many other current or old ports and pc games

fallout nv engine couldnt make use of more than 2g ram without tweaks and with them it could use ~3-4g and by moders making use of it i meant for texture mods like what was seen in with hl2 with the cinematic mod

crysis had 64bit added to the engine but it did very little for performance

i would love to be proven wrong but that wont be able to happen till its released on pc

until then i wont be getting my hopes up just to find i have been lied to once more about how great it will be as has happened with so many ports in the past graphics wise its just more of the same with a nice effect hear and there

Edited by Dasa

Something I've noticed in those screenshots, the NPCs aren't casting shadows, could just be because its early days yet? I dunno.

*EDIT* Actually on second glance it looks like they are...my bad!

going by the info we have so far it is a heavily? updated engine that is made to work with 6 year old technology so it is a small evolution nothing more.

The game engine is not a refactored version of Gamebryo, the rendering engine was engineered internally at Bethesda and is somewhat influenced by the IDtech5 engine which Tod confirmed in a podcast.

Bethesda Softworks community manager Nick Breckon said: “We can now confirm that the TES V: Skyrim engine is all-new. And it looks fantastic.”

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/12/12...engine-all-new/

i would love to be proven wrong but that wont be able to happen till its released on pc

until then i wont be getting my hopes up just to find i have been lied to once more about how great it will be as has happened with so many ports in the past graphics wise its just more of the same with a nice effect hear and there

Bethesda aren't promising you anything, I suppose you saw the gameplay footage and weren't impressed? To each there own but it is a marked improvement over Oblivion on any platform. All of the footage is authentic and a good chunk of it looked amazing, captured entirely on a X360 apparently. Edited by King_TriTAN

Interesting. One of the first things I read was that it was a heavily updated version of the Gamebryo engine, it fills me with relief that it isn't because that has to be one the ugliest current gen engines around.

Todd was asked a video question on the differences between the PC and console version, I've transcribed it for those interested.

Gamespot: Can you tell us about some of the changes we can expect between the console and PC versions of this game be it grahpical, gameplay or ortherwise.

Todd Howard: Well gameplay, it's going to be exactly the same, you know you're going to get some interface differences on the PC, we have designed an interface even on the console that shows a lot of information, so I think visually we're not going to have to change it too much on the PC, just how you maneuver it. Um, as far as graphically we offer all of the graphics, really high end, so the game is going to look the same on all the consoles but the PC by it's nature and because you're sitting closer to the screen, using the PC you're going to sit a few feet away as opposed to 6, 8 (feet) whatever you're going to do on a console game. Um it does come with higher res textures, um depending on your PC you know you'll jack the resolution up, also if your PC isn't up to all that our graphics are really based on level of detail, how we stream things so you can scale those things back.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/elderscroll...p;mode=previews

1up talk about the new engine.

One of the biggest questions was, "will Skyrim be using Gamebryo or Id Tech 5?" Well, the actual answer is something in-between. Game director Todd Howard notes that the team, "rewrote the entire renderer, the pathing, the A.I. and quest systems, the interface, the animation, and by the time we were done, we had re-written all the gameplay and graphics in our engine, and we've now branded it as the 'Creation Engine.'" Howard points out that the basic idea for the Creation Engine's renderer is to "draw all of it," and it accomplishes this through numerous streaming and level-of-detail tricks. Of course, Bethesda will also release the Creation Kit for mod support.

http://www.1up.com/previews/elder-scrolls-...gs-need-to-know

Edited by King_TriTAN