King_TriTAN

Skyrim

Dang, cant seem to find any images of the menu system they are prattling about.

Kinda weird that I'm excited about that of all things...

I may have mislead you, unfortunately there are no available screens on the inventory. What we do know about the inventory system is what has been talked about in written previews, here are some examples if you haven't already read the previews.

After dispatching a few sorely outmatched raiders along a stunning forest path, Todd Howard, Bethesda game director and our demo driver, takes a moment to run us through the game’s new inventory system. Pressing the B button pulls up four menu options: skills, magic, inventory, and map. What’s rather neat is that each category is mapped to a different direction.

So when you select map, which is down, your character looks down, since the ground represents the path on the map. The map itself is a fully 3D map of the world that you can fly over and zoom into and out of to your heart’s content. What’s particularly impressive about the map is that it’s just the game world with the camera zoomed out above it.

Moving right moves your head right, since that’s where your weapons and useable items are held. When you bring up your inventory, you’re able to flip and rotate each item using the thumbsticks, which, as Howard says, makes finding a new item, “joyful on a visual level and not just, ‘Oh, this is a plus one.’”

“It’s not just an item with a number. You can look at all the items. They’re all fully modeled in 3D. You can zoom in. How is this thing made? What culture is this from?” Howard demonstrates this by bringing up a highly detailed shield and turning it over in space to show off its leather bindings, etchings, and contours.

Looking left brings up magic, and here we get to see how you’re able to set favorites, “like you bookmark webpages,” Howard explains. The spells that you favorite then appear on a quick menu brought up using the D-pad. The spells have also been modeled, so you can actually see them bubbling with energy while you examine their properties.

And looking up towards the heavens lets you look at your skills, since the gods are responsible for anointing you with your powers. The skill management screen is as brilliant conceptually as it is practically. Basically, the menu is comprised of a series of constellations with each constellation made up of a certain number of stars that represent perks associated with that skill. You get to select a perk each time you level up, just like Fallout 3. Beneath the constellations are bars that show you how that skill is progressing. All of your skills influence your leveling; the higher the skill, the faster you will level up.

http://www.g4tv.com/games/xbox-360/64714/t...ng-and-dragons/

Combat isn’t the only thing in the game though, and Todd assures us there’s a heady amount of puzzle-solving throughout, along with exploration. Anyone who has played a Resident Evil game will be aware of the “examining” items system that game offered, and how that played into working your way through impediments and puzzles. But for those who haven’t, every item in the Skyrim game-world is fully rendered in 3D, and each one you collect can be examined in free-space; turning it 360 degrees to see every polygonal ridge or hidden texture. The idea here is to find clues to solving certain puzzles, such as combination locks etc. We didn’t get a full look at this, but here’s hoping there’s also a combination component to the free-look item management system, to really push the puzzle portion of the game, but honestly, so far, so good.

http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/3048710

Rather than refine the pre-existing menu system from Oblivion or Fallout 3, Bethesda decided to toss them on the scrap heap and develop a new, streamlined interface. Searching for inspiration, the team kept coming back to Apple, and for good reason. Over the last decade the company has revolutionized how consumers interact with software and hardware moreso than any other tech outfit.

”You know in iTunes when you look at all your music you get to flip through it and look at the covers and it becomes tangible?” game director Todd Howard asks. “One of our goals was 'What if Apple made a fantasy game? How would this look?' It's very good at getting through lots of data quickly, which is always a struggle with our stuff.”

Like in Oblivion, pressing the B or circle button opens up the menu system. Instead of returning you to the last page you visited as it did in Oblivion, Bethesda now presents you with a simple compass interface that offers four options.

Pressing right takes you to the inventory. The interface is a clean cascading menu system that separates items by type. Here players can browse through weapons, armor, and other items they gather during their travel. Instead of relegating players to looking at an item’s name and stat attributes, each possession is a tangible three dimensional item with its own unique qualities. Thousands of items are fully rendered, and players can zoom in on or rotate each one. You can even get an up close view of the flowers and roots you pick for alchemy. “It becomes an interesting time sink,” Howard says. “You can look at and explore every single thing you pick up.”

Pressing left from the compass gives players access to the full list of magical items, complete with breakdowns of how the spells operate. As we mentioned in the Building Better Combat story, the world of Skyrim features over 85 spells, many of which can be used in a variety of ways.

In Oblivion, players could map eight items from their inventory onto the D-pad for easy access. Given the new two-handed approach to combat in Skyrim, Bethesda didn’t want to limit players to eight items. Instead, pressing up on the D-pad pauses the action and pulls up a favorites menu. Anything from your spell library or item inventory can be “bookmarked” to the favorites menu with the press of a button. How many items appear on that menu is up to each player. Bethesda isn’t placing a cap on the number of favorite items, so theoretically you could muck it up with every single item you own. Though you can choose how many items appear, you can’t determine the order; items and spells are listed alphabetically.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/the_elde...m-overhaul.aspx

I love this thread, I was watching the linked clips .. hearing the Music and seeing the World space I developed a serious case of nostalgia for a game I haven't even played yet.

Only 7 months to go .... Only 7 months to go {:-)

Edited by Waltish

I may have mislead you, unfortunately there are no available screens on the inventory. What we do know about the inventory system is what has been talked about in written previews, here are some examples if you haven't already read the previews.

Nah, didnt misread, I've done all the reading - Im just rather curious about the whole thing and wouldnt mind seeing a vid or some pics or something

Nah, didnt misread, I've done all the reading - Im just rather curious about the whole thing and wouldnt mind seeing a vid or some pics or something

They have to release more, they can show a 45 minute demo for 70 journalists, I can't see them holding out for that much longer, they'll wait a few weeks after the interest has waned and then surprise everyone by showing more. I want MOAR!!! Edited by King_TriTAN

Weird. Im that obsessed with Skyrim at the moment that I've gone completely off WoW, quit the raiding team as a main tank last night and considering cancelling my subscription all together...

Weird. Im that obsessed with Skyrim at the moment that I've gone completely off WoW, quit the raiding team as a main tank last night and considering cancelling my subscription all together...

Welcome back.

Welcome back.

Heh, I've since heard that the new patch and instances are out but think I'd rather keep playing Kings Bounty.

Or play baldurs gate

or jagged alliance 2

or something =x

captured entirely on a X360 apparently.

I'd be very interested to see some PC footage, if its entirely 360 footage so far it looks like they've done a fair effort with engine optimisations.

Any idea if Oblivion still runs bad on console or did they fix it?

captured entirely on a X360 apparently.

I'd be very interested to see some PC footage, if its entirely 360 footage so far it looks like they've done a fair effort with engine optimisations.

Any idea if Oblivion still runs bad on console or did they fix it?

I played it fairly recently on my xbox... its annoying but not sure whether thats the performance or controls. Trying to aim spells and arrows while theres several things going on is very fidgety....

Thank christ I went back to PC gaming in time for Skyrim

My experience could be skewed cause I played it

A year old PC at launch, then on a Xbox 360 within in the last 3 months then more recently on a PC thats around two months old now....

I remember seeing it some time ago on the 360, lots of jaggies and sub 30fps framerate, my brother said that may have been fixed now though.

If Skyrim truly does look that good, then its quite obvious the engine has been heavily optimised and it will be interesting to see what they've had to miss out on (if anything at all) and what tricks they have employed to get it running that way.

I wonder if its possible the guys who worked on the id tech 5 engine helped with the optimisation? Considering thats supposed to be 60fps on the 360 or something.

Actually Nuke I remember Todd saying Oblivion was hampered by constantly changing hardware as it was intended to be a launch title for the X360, I remember Fallout 3 to be a much better effort from Bethesda while using the Gamebryo renderer, it had 4xAA and a solid framerate. Todd has said on Skyrim that the visual detail is achieved through streaming techniques, so you can have small intricate flowers among looming mountains.

I have a new video interview of Todd revealing some fantastic details.

- Traps are more exciting and found in more areas as well as more puzzle type areas

- Alchemy has seen some minor tweaks, "works differently than Oblivion"

- More than 120 dungeons, plus over a 100 points of interest (side encounters)

- The Nine Divines and the Daedra are in the game, some of them offering unique quests.

- There are mammoths, wolves, deer, elk and rabbits.

- Mammoths are often near Giants.

- Story behind Giants and why they live in the wilderness

- Radiant AI for NPC's include new animations to have them taking out various tasks such as cooking, building armor, working on leather, doing jobs, etc

- Special menus for such skills as cooking.

- There are raw and cooked versions of each food.

- Some are small dungeons spanning 15mins, to large 1-2 hour massive lairs

- In addition to using guilds, Bethesda is looking to provide top notch gameplay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db-o_HrpC-0...player_embedded Edited by King_TriTAN

1-2 hour dungeons? Awesome, I hope some of them are side quest dungeons that take that long and not just story based ones...

1-2 hour dungeons? Awesome, I hope some of them are side quest dungeons that take that long and not just story based ones...

Not enough lolcatz in this thread so I needed to find one that summed up my feelings about this game thus far.

Posted Image

November can not come quickly enough.

Its a shame they still don't want to do multiplayer, even if it was just like Fables 2s drop in, drop out co-op, hitting up an elder scrolls game with a friend would be nuts.

1-2 hour dungeons. Damn! It was bad enough trying to decide what was worth picking up and what wasn't in Oblivion. I hate dropping good items. It irks me, bloody weight limit!

However i really do like the idea of bigger dungeons.

Its a shame they still don't want to do multiplayer, even if it was just like Fables 2s drop in, drop out co-op, hitting up an elder scrolls game with a friend would be nuts.

To be honest, I'd really rather them focus on and nail the perfect single player experience - fix everything that was wrong in Oblivion.

That whole drop in drop out thing in Fable 2 didnt add anything to the game at all (at least for me) and seemed liked it was just tacked on so they could put "2 player co-op" on the box and sell more copies. Not saying Fable 2 wasnt enjoyable of course. I thoroughly enjoyed it but it wasnt because of the two player.

1-2 hour dungeons. Damn! It was bad enough trying to decide what was worth picking up and what wasn't in Oblivion. I hate dropping good items. It irks me, bloody weight limit!

However i really do like the idea of bigger dungeons.

Me too, but I know what you mean about the dropping good items and you think that the issues going to come up a fair bit in some of this marathongeons. Mark & Recall may make a come back...

Otherwise I'm sure "Feather" will become a dungeon crawlers best friend...

To be honest, I'd really rather them focus on and nail the perfect single player experience - fix everything that was wrong in Oblivion.

That whole drop in drop out thing in Fable 2 didnt add anything to the game at all (at least for me) and seemed liked it was just tacked on so they could put "2 player co-op" on the box and sell more copies. Not saying Fable 2 wasnt enjoyable of course. I thoroughly enjoyed it but it wasnt because of the two player.

Multiplayer/Co-op can be added to games without detracting from the singleplayer experience, being able to explore a massive living world with your friends is always more fun than exploring it by yourself.

Multiplayer/Co-op can be added to games without detracting from the singleplayer experience, being able to explore a massive living world with your friends is always more fun than exploring it by yourself.

I disagree, that magic ring is mine. MINE! my precious!

Dont get me wrong I would probably enjoy a co-op mode on the proviso it would'nt be that "fable side kick shit"

And you know I would do my utmost best to team kill!

Edited by TheMojorising

theres a few games I would love to explore with a few friends as per what you suggested, Stalker games would be another one it would be nice to have anoter player with you for.

I agree but only if they could incorporate co op without it compromising the way the content works in these games, because the game world scales to your level and your unique choices means theres a fuck tonns of variables to sync between players unless the player that wasn't the host couldn't interact with NPCs etc but that would trivialise the co op.

Thats basically the problem they had with Stalker as well Co op was an intended feature but they couldn't get the a-life system to synch which was basically compromising the gameplay.

If you want co op the games almost have to be made with it in mind it can't really be added in later unless the game has very simple systems when it comes to progression like Gears of War for example.

Edited by Bundy

Which is why I mentioned Fable 2 Style co-op, coming in as a mercenary and having to stay in the same area as the host.

As soon as that happens i feel the game has lost what makes it special tho, at least for the second player.

And lets be honest the combat system isnt great in obliv or morrowind it was all about the world.

And lets be honest the combat system isnt great in obliv or morrowind it was all about the world.

I didnt find the combat too Shabby, Melee was fine - but they need to do something with magic and archery. The speed of arrows and fireballs made them incredibly easy to dodge making it frustrating....

As for the world, I'm looking forward to that magical weekend where I just get lost wandering around Skyrim, taking in all sights - the buildings, the people, the mountains after getting incredibly stoned and not end up doing much except picking flowers.

Edited by TheMojorising

I wasn't trying to sound critical, it wasn't horrible but it was hardly the games 'hook' if you will it was sufficient and functional.