King_TriTAN

Skyrim

lol, I have about 14 hours played and have done fuck all.

lol, same. I'm on 19 hours and haven't done shit in the scheme of things. 2 dragons, a few caves and forts, fuck all of the story. I have bought a house and fully furnished it tho......

I saw something really peculiar the other night.

While travelling along I found an inn in the middle of nowhere, I decided to stay and rest up and buy some stuff (and this is completely unrelated to the story btw, but it might help people know where I'm talking about) Apparantly Tiber Septim stayed there one day, anyway, I was awoken by a scream at about 3am, went out to have a look and the inn keeper lady told me she had seen a ghost. I looked towards the fire and sure enough, a ghost.

So anyway I decided to leave and continue on my travels in the dark, as I headed up the road from the inn, I found a campsite with a tent, a burning fire and some shit on the ground, along with 2 dead bodies.

As I got nearer I saw a diary next to the body of a lady (the other body was a guy) I picked up the diary and began to read it. It basically spoke of the girl being in love with a poor farmer and how her father didn't approve, but she had planned to go to the inn with her dad and then run away with this guy.

Anyway, after looting the joint, I continued on and a day or so later ingame, I fast travelled back to the inn as it was close to an area I needed to go to. It took me past their campsite again, however this time the tent and bodies were gone and all that was left was a fire place, full of fresh wood, not burning.

It didn't give me a quest or anything, but I'm going to do some sleuthing.

Getting a random crash straight to desktop, no warning or error message.

Googled it, have tried the number of 'fixes' suggested:

Turn sound quality to 44khz / 24bit..

Change shadow quality from Ultra to High..

Run Steam in Offline mode..

Nada D:

Starting to get that issue myself yesterday and today. Wondering WTF as well...

Getting a random crash straight to desktop, no warning or error message.

Googled it, have tried the number of 'fixes' suggested:

Turn sound quality to 44khz / 24bit..

Change shadow quality from Ultra to High..

Run Steam in Offline mode..

Nada D:

Starting to get that issue myself yesterday and today. Wondering WTF as well...

there is a memory leak in the sound engine (surprise surprise... oblivion had it, FO3/NV had it, now skyrim has it), usually takes a fair while to build up to a CTD, turning down the quality (smaller sound files in memory) just increases the avg time to encounter it, they probably figure it only affects the minority of players who are playing it long enough to experience it, so its priority to fix it is low, they more focused on getting the xbox 360 patch to fix the streaming issue.

I saw something really peculiar the other night.

While travelling along I found an inn in the middle of nowhere, I decided to stay and rest up and buy some stuff (and this is completely unrelated to the story btw, but it might help people know where I'm talking about) Apparantly Tiber Septim stayed there one day, anyway, I was awoken by a scream at about 3am, went out to have a look and the inn keeper lady told me she had seen a ghost. I looked towards the fire and sure enough, a ghost.

So anyway I decided to leave and continue on my travels in the dark, as I headed up the road from the inn, I found a campsite with a tent, a burning fire and some shit on the ground, along with 2 dead bodies.

As I got nearer I saw a diary next to the body of a lady (the other body was a guy) I picked up the diary and began to read it. It basically spoke of the girl being in love with a poor farmer and how her father didn't approve, but she had planned to go to the inn with her dad and then run away with this guy.

Anyway, after looting the joint, I continued on and a day or so later ingame, I fast travelled back to the inn as it was close to an area I needed to go to. It took me past their campsite again, however this time the tent and bodies were gone and all that was left was a fire place, full of fresh wood, not burning.

It didn't give me a quest or anything, but I'm going to do some sleuthing.

That is a fantastic story, as far as the unusual I've only met Khajit the Liar or something or rather, sort of like a random recurring in joke in Bethesda games.

Got to the thieves guild a few hours ago and have spent the night stealing shit and fencing it. I also did the first few guild missions which were great fun. It's good to have a place to unload stolen goods finally, will build up my bank alot quicker now.

Level 23 or something here.

Running around in all self crafted Ebony Armour while dual wielding two sharpened ebony maces...

Level 23 or something here.

Running around in all self crafted Ebony Armour while dual wielding two sharpened ebony maces...

Thats me, up there.

Edit. Smithing now 100 - now equipped with a full set of Improved Dragon Armour.

Surprisingly the stuff isnt that hard to make when compared to the previous armors

Posted Image

Edited by TheMojorising

Regarding the CTD, I found I got the best results by not shift-tabbing to the steam interface much. Every time I did it, the FPS in-game seemed to slow down a bit, and it would take maybe 5-10 shift-tabs, and the game would close.

Played last night for 5 hours straight without opening the overlay and I didn't crash once? o.O

Only level 11... The depth in the game is too good to pass up and the main quest for me isn't going to be a priority. Pretty keen to get smithing and alchemy up to max level before I do much else. From there I might work on getting light armor, archery and sneak skills leveled up a fair a bit.

Having the most fun right now just walking around the hills hunting for animals to skin :D pain in the ass when you fire an arrow at an Elk and it JUST doesn't kill them so they run away, getting better at firing on the move and aiming ahead but it's still hard to hit them when they're on the run...

I haven't had anywhere near as much time for it yet as I'd've liked - more this week on train trips and lunchbreaks (weekend was busy).

Definitely enjoying it so far, and agree with pretty much everything DonutKing said. I reckon it's better than Oblivion in terms of the 'sameyness', but not as good as Morrowind (my favourite game ever, just an unparalleled immersive experience, and the variety of lands, environments and buildings really helped that), which kinda disappoints me the way Bethesda were talking, like they learned their lessons from Oblivion.

Still loving it though, and the little niggles and glitches aren't bothering me as much as they are others.

nukey, I got through that barrow without issue (the one where it was crashing for you), did it end up working for you? Assuming we're talking about the same one, the one with the Golden Claw?

No dragons yet, but I did turn on godmode for a bit of a mess-about Friday night, and took out the giants and mammoths, they were pretty bloody tough. Was never really going to save that progress, as I wonder if they might not be needed for something later in the game, and I want to enjoy the experience a lot more before I consider any sort of godmode playthrough (which usually happen if I get frustrated by dying over and over and just want to experience the story and the quests).

Edited by Thylacine

I haven't had anywhere near as much time for it yet as I'd've liked - more this week on train trips and lunchbreaks (weekend was busy).

Definitely enjoying it so far, and agree with pretty much everything DonutKing said. I reckon it's better than Oblivion in terms of the 'sameyness', but not as good as Morrowind, which kinda disappoints me the way Bethesda were talking, like they learned their lessons from Oblivion.

Still loving it though, and the little niggles and glitches aren't bothering me as much as they are others.

nukey, I got through that barrow without issue (the one where it was crashing for you), did it end up working for you? Assuming we're talking about the same one, the one with the Golden Claw?

No dragons yet, but I did turn on godmode for a bit of a mess-about Friday night, and took out the giants and mammoths, they were pretty bloody tough. Was never really going to save that progress, as I wonder if they might not be needed for something later in the game, and I want to enjoy the experience a lot more before I consider any sort of godmode playthrough (which usually happen if I get frustrated by dying over and over and just want to experience the story and the quests).

I found the best way to kill the mammoths is to find a rock, equip a bow or some kind of ranged weapon / magic, and just keep jumping up on the rock, then down off the rock, then back up etc - the pathing will make them have to keep walking around the rock to get to you.

Should probably stop killing them incase they are needed for later in the game D:

ha I'm not really considering killing them yet, I'm only level 5 or 6 and haven't done anywhere near enough of any sort of questing; only about 4 hrs play all up, but should get around 90 mins a day with lunchbreaks and train trips this week, which is the most I can really manage these days haha (also still wading through the awesomeness of Arkham City on PS3).

Played the hell out of Skyrim on the weekend. Really, really awesome job they've done.

The combat is unsurprisingly no real kind of leap (I'd pretty much heard and now confirmed), but it's definitely adequate. I like the power moves, but regular swings just feel a bit clumsy. Magic on the hand, is freakin awesome. 1000% more fun than earlier TES games.

It's also surprisingly easy so far. I'm about level 7 at the moment, did a lot of roaming at around level 4 or 5 as well. World/level scaling must be in full effect (normally I dislike this, but we'll see), because I haven't really been able to find any off-limits places. I'm dual wielding the standard starting 'flame" spell, and everything I find pretty much insta dies, and no matter how hard I try, I just can't seem to run out of magicka. Any time there's something that hits a bit harder like a frost troll or named-bandit of some kind, I just have to be a little more patient and evasive. My build is Altmer, mostly destruction perks, mostly unarmored and with magicka boosting cloths.

There's one thing (so far) that I still miss from Morrowind, which is a great diversity in cities/architecture/culture from place to place. Most of the Nord cities I've been to are very samey on the inside. I also miss being able to find fancy merchants with an impressive collection of stuff on the table. The kind of stuff you'd consider saving up for, but then end up plotting a heist instead...

Also can't for the life of me seem to stumble across any Dwemer ruins. Are they very rare?

I agree with some of the above comments about a lack of diversity in building structure, however Skyrim is not Morrowind or Cyrodil, it was primarily the Nords home and their architecture reflects that. Unlike Morrowind and Cyrodil where there have been refugees and such for centuries, the empire has only started pushing into skyrim. You can tell that Skyrim isn't very friendly to outsiders by the way they talk to you if you aren't a nord.

Also I agree with xfu, it really sucks that the items merchants sell aren't in the shop or in their inventory. There was a mod for oblivion that fixed this, so hopefully we see one for skyrim.

Speaking of which, anyone know when TES construction set will be released? I wouldn't imagine it would be too different to Oblivions one or G.E.C.K.

Edited by NukeJockey

Im still waiting on my key from intkeys.. How long would they normally take?

Russian key? They refunded everyone their money.

No, they worked out how to get past it. You can still get your $ back if yuou want otherwise you need to talk to support and they'll get your key to you with instructions on getting the game running.

Edit. Here is a link to the site for getting either your Skyrim key or refund. http://www.skyrimkey.com/

Edited by disolusiond

Anyone know where to find mammoth tusks as killing a mammoth isn't the best way of doing it... ><

Anyone know where to find mammoth tusks as killing a mammoth isn't the best way of doing it... ><

I've only ever collected them from either killing mammoths or clearing out bandit camps or dungeons (occasionally there are some tusks laying about...)

I agree with some of the above comments about a lack of diversity in building structure, however Skyrim is not Morrowind or Cyrodil, it was primarily the Nords home and their architecture reflects that. Unlike Morrowind and Cyrodil where there have been refugees and such for centuries, the empire has only started pushing into skyrim. You can tell that Skyrim isn't very friendly to outsiders by the way they talk to you if you aren't a nord.

That's true, I guess the towns and landscape are done right in that respect. I guess it's not a dig at Skyrim and much as a general comment that for me, Morrowind/Vvardenfell was a much more enthralling and memorable place to explore. Rose tinted glasses maybe?

Im still waiting on my key from intkeys.. How long would they normally take?

Russian key? They refunded everyone their money.

No, they worked out how to get past it. You can still get your $ back if yuou want otherwise you need to talk to support and they'll get your key to you with instructions on getting the game running.

Edit. Here is a link to the site for getting either your Skyrim key or refund. http://www.skyrimkey.com/

Hmm, they refunded me.

Dunno how many of you played a heavy modded Oblivion. But I'm noticing so many mod ideas from Oblivion being part of the actual game in Skyrim.