King_TriTAN

Skyrim

From the footage we've seen, you may not have to. Looks chunky as hell. I really hope that was 360 footage, and not PC. I'd really prefer the trees didn't look like perfectly tapered brown sticks with flat panels of green stuck to them.

Also, this game is going to involve a lot of walking in the mountains. This is one thing that sucked a lot in Oblivion. Where you'd be trying to walk up a slope, you'd be going fine, then oop, it's all of a sudden SLIGHTLY too steep to walk up, so now you're just going to glide sideways. Until you slide uncontrollably down the mountain, like you're on an invisible skateboard or something. I really hope they improve this sort of thing, where the character is actually walking on the surface, not vaguely gliding over it.

From the footage we've seen, you may not have to. Looks chunky as hell. I really hope that was 360 footage, and not PC. I'd really prefer the trees didn't look like perfectly tapered brown sticks with flat panels of green stuck to them.

Huh?

Given the fact they have 6 months before initial release date - you don't suppose that they would be working on optimising that sort of thing?

/hopeful fanboi

Yeah, I hope so too. Those screenshots Tantryl posted do look nice, but the gameplay footage that's around does look shit. It's a long way off, but man, look at the BF3 trailers. And they've got about as much time to fiddle and tighten and neaten and optimise as well, so I don't even :/

You're account of the trees Harmonic are an exaggeration, considering that they all sway independently and can accumulate snow is an effect more impressive than the trees you can find in other games, from what game are you comparing trees with.

Furthermore I don't think BF3 looks as great as everyone else seems to think it does. The lighting in that game is the most impressive thing about it but Skyrim with its day & night cycles, weather effects, giant landscapes and general beauty excels as a package IMHO.

The first thing you notice about the game is how gorgeous it is. Todd went on about the rewritten renderer and the optimizations and streaming level-of-detail effects, but what it boils down to is this: The game looks good. Better than good, actually. The icy land of Skyrim, the northernmost province in Tamriel, is perhaps the most realistic and impressive game world I've seen. From the massive mountains looming in the distance to the ferns alongside the road, everything in this game is incredibly detailed. The streams have salmon leaping up over cataracts, the trees cast dappled shadows on the ground, and the snowstorms actually flow around the towering peaks.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/v...-Skyrim-Preview Edited by King_TriTAN

Furthermore I don't think BF3 looks as great as everyone else seems to think it does. The lighting in that game is the most impressive thing about it but Skyrim with its day & night cycles, weather effects, giant landscapes and general beauty excels as a package IMHO.

I agree, it looks nice in parts but is very inconsistent atm. BF3 still gives me a hardon though. Skyrim should be good too.

I agree, it looks nice in parts but is very inconsistent atm. BF3 still gives me a hardon though. Skyrim should be good too.

mmm...bf3 hardon

http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/i...iv/53/53699.png

I don't think I exaggerated that much :/

Still, engaging some bloody antialiasing should help thing a lot.

And the most impressive thing in the BF3 trailers is the animation. The characters really look like they're a part of the world, not hovering weightlessly with a shadow chucked in.

I'm still buying both these games though, probably at full price.

And the most impressive thing in the BF3 trailers is the animation

Oh but I find that level of animation common to every EA sports game, because the lighting solutions in BF3 are unique to Frostbite 2.0 it's more meaningful IMHO, if you take out that lighting those animations can't carry the visuals.

Furthermore that screenshot you posted is not actual gameplay, a number of the screens I previously posted are shops as well, particularly the Kahjit inside the tomb, I assume it's there to convey the tone of the game. If you want reliable screens you should draw them from the trailer. Unfortunately 720p pre-rendered video tends to artifact heavily when there's lot's of movement but I've gone to the effort of finding some relative stills for you.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

If you're playing it on the PC what are you worried about, if you got the hardware you can turn AA can't you? I will say I agree with Nuke, from what we can see it is a bit of a mixed bag, some of it looks great and then some looks meh, I suppose consistency is harder at this scale.

Edited by King_TriTAN

I've pretty much been on a complete media blackout for Skyrim, I've only glimpsed a few of the shots on this page in this thread and the first vid that was released. Can't fucking wait for it though. I'm pretty sure it will be awesome but there is one thing that concerns me, the fact that it is almost certainly being made for consoles and will be ported to pc. I will live with it but I wont be happy about it.

It is a mixed bag, I'm sure we'll see some more conclusive examples of what it will actually look like on PC as the months wear on.

I've pretty much been on a complete media blackout for Skyrim, I've only glimpsed a few of the shots on this page in this thread and the first vid that was released. Can't fucking wait for it though. I'm pretty sure it will be awesome but there is one thing that concerns me, the fact that it is almost certainly being made for consoles and will be ported to pc. I will live with it but I wont be happy about it.

Oblivion was the same. That clunky menu system wasn't implemented for nothing! This time around though, I think they're going to get hammered with questions by PC-centric journos. The PC has been neglected for years now, and I can see Bethesda doing something to smooth that over. Their lack of copy protection is awesome, it means they are actually aware that people are still going to pirate their game regardless, and wish to give those who actually do pay a more pleasant, less criminally-treated experience.

It is a mixed bag, I'm sure we'll see some more conclusive examples of what it will actually look like on PC as the months wear on.

Oblivion was the same. That clunky menu system wasn't implemented for nothing! This time around though, I think they're going to get hammered with questions by PC-centric journos. The PC has been neglected for years now, and I can see Bethesda doing something to smooth that over. Their lack of copy protection is awesome, it means they are actually aware that people are still going to pirate their game regardless, and wish to give those who actually do pay a more pleasant, less criminally-treated experience.

I would have thought a menu system would be fairly easy to design, especially if you have experience in doing them already - and if this is the case, why don't they create several menu systems and just allow the gamer to select their favourite through options...

Has anyone been able to locate pics or vids of this itunes inspired menu being utlised yet? Cause I am sure as shit interested in seeing it

I remember Todd saying Skyrim will have different interfaces for the PC and console, from what I understand the menus have an industrial design edge to them so they're artistic to look at and functional. Eurogamer said in their preview that if you like apple designed menus you'll like the menu's in Skyrim's. Todd has repeated iTunes as a big influence for the interface, I don't use iTunes so does anyone have an opinion?

I remember Todd saying Skyrim will have different interfaces for the PC and console, from what I understand the menus have an industrial design edge to them so they're artistic to look at and functional. Eurogamer said in their preview that if you like apple designed menus you'll like the menu's in Skyrim's. Todd has repeated iTunes as a big influence for the interface, I don't use iTunes so does anyone have an opinion?

I struggle to imagine how they are going to implement but I have faith in them to make it work well.

I just hope it isnt slow as shit like Itunes, rediculous piece of bloated software that it is....

I struggle to imagine how they are going to implement but I have faith in them to make it work well.

I just hope it isnt slow as shit like Itunes, rediculous piece of bloated software that it is....

I'm sure it will be fine. Just because itunes was an influence doesn't mean its going to be coded anything like itunes.

I'm sure it will be fine. Just because itunes was an influence doesn't mean its going to be coded anything like itunes.

It wouldn't even want to get too close in looks either. Apple will sue anything they can.

Some new screens and a recap from the Utah reveal I'm sure we're familiar with.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Draugers look good.

Edited by King_TriTAN

Apparently Skyrims going to have a big showing at E3 according to article I can barely read on my phone and cant access at work...

and speaking of big geres apparently whats welcoming people at the moment at one of the hotels there...

Posted Image

Apparently Skyrims going to have a big showing at E3 according to article I can barely read on my phone and cant access at work...

and speaking of big geres apparently whats welcoming people at the moment at one of the hotels there...

image of mega huge advertising...

That is some epic advertising right there!

That preview sounds nice and all, but the thing about previews is the devs can show whatever they want and leave out all the other crap, so they're kind of pointless to take at face value.

One thing which sucks is that they have taken things out like levitate and Acrobatics and Athletics, 3 of the things you want for a good thief build. If every character is the same speed and can jump the same heights its really going to limit the builds of characters. Not happy Jan.

I think characters will be able to jump and run better but it'll be achieved through the perks I reckon. I also believe Skyrim will be shown at Microsoft's E3 press conference...

Posted Image

For those who want to catch the live stream you can watch it at...

http://www.gametrailers.com/netstorage/e3/e3-live.html

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Community/E3

It'll start 2.30am Tuesday morning, maybe someone can capture the stream for the forums.

Edited by King_TriTAN

I think characters will be able to jump and run better but it'll be achieved through the perks I reckon. I also believe Skyrim will be shown at Microsoft's E3 press conference...

Posted Image

For those who want to catch the live stream you can watch it at...

http://www.gametrailers.com/netstorage/e3/e3-live.html

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Community/E3

It'll start 2.30am Tuesday morning, maybe someone can capture the stream for the forums.

What the hell is up with that picture as Ive seen it a few times now and have no idea whats its for/from?

Edited by TheMojorising

It's Microsoft's E3 invitation, like the axe people have been guessing what sort of games will be shows. I'm confident there will be some Skyrim footage this Wednesday, Oblivion and Fallout 3 have all debuted at Microsoft's conference, I think the axe signifies the same for Skyrim.

Edited by King_TriTAN