Sign in to follow this  
Cybes

[PC] X Rebirth announced

I don't know how many of you guys are into Egosoft's X Universe games, but those who are will probably have already received notification in the mail. For everyone else, meet the newest (and last?) iteration of them: X Rebirth.

It's worth clicking through and watching that on the 'Tube - in HD, at 1024.

It's due out in Q4 of this year - same time (approximately) as Skyrim, so folks like me are going to get no sleep at all for about 3 months. :P

Edit: Oh, and here's a little more in-depth info, from Egosoft themselves: http://www.egosoft.com/x/xnews/201104_44_xr_news.html

They aren't saying a whole lot about it at this point, so don't expect a full review.

Edited by Cybes

And here I was thinking Terran Conflict would be the last.

This looks wicked indeed, can't wait.

Any clue if this is going to be the vaunted 'X-online'? Or just the next in the series?

Either way, this is full of win. A few of my mates and I were talking about the fact there is no new elite/privateer type games on the horizon... and here is this.

Any clue if this is going to be the vaunted 'X-online'? Or just the next in the series?

According to everything I've read from them, this will be the last X game - and it isn't an MMO. Frankly, I (and just about all of the Egosoft forum) think that would be a Bad Idea anyway, so we were pretty happy to see another SP game.

guess i will have to finish teran conflict

havent played it since i ran into a bug with windows vista\7 that made the sector where i built my empire run ~one frame every 30 seconds

According to everything I've read from them, this will be the last X game - and it isn't an MMO. Frankly, I (and just about all of the Egosoft forum) think that would be a Bad Idea anyway, so we were pretty happy to see another SP game.

They actually said X:TC would be the last, too.

havent played it since i ran into a bug with windows vista\7 that made the sector where i built my empire run ~one frame every 30 seconds

Might not be a bug, if your empire was big enough.

Might not be a bug, if your empire was big enough.

ran much better in 32bit winxp from memory and it depended on what direction you were looking

empire wasnt that big only ~20 odd joined stations at a guess i think i was making microchips for a quest at that stage

just loaded up my old save runs ~35+fps there now with 33 stations use to use a 3.4g q9450 4g ram 4870x2 so while maybe it should have run ~15fps how slow it was running is just insane

ran much better in 32bit winxp from memory and it depended on what direction you were looking

empire wasnt that big only ~20 odd joined stations at a guess i think i was making microchips for a quest at that stage

Complexes kill framerates in X:TC. Doesn't matter which platform you're using - once it goes over about 4, you end up watching a slideshow. Wish I'd know that before I turned my beautiful ammo production chain into one. There's a mod that replaces complexes with a single large cube, though - framerates go back to where they belong with that.

I'm guessing that you either had no or very few connected stations while still using 32-bit?

Given that the X universe has working short-distance teleportation, I don't understand why the hell it's neccesary to have interstation connections or ships, anyway, provided you put them snugly together.

tested the same system xp 32 vs vista 64

xp ran slow but it ran in that sector

vista the game just bogged down to well under 1fps depending on the direction you looked then it may jump back up to 60fps in that sector when looking in a slightly different direction

Edited by Dasa

vista the game just bogged down to well under 1fps depending on the direction you looked then it may jump back up to 60fps in that sector when looking in a slightly different direction

Hmm. I haven't heard of that Vista-specific slowdown before. Went straight from XP to 7, myself. The directionality thing is absolutely the complex, though - as soon as the mess of tubes is out of sight, the framerate rises again (which is why the cube thing works).

Hmm. I haven't heard of that Vista-specific slowdown before. Went straight from XP to 7, myself. The directionality thing is absolutely the complex, though - as soon as the mess of tubes is out of sight, the framerate rises again (which is why the cube thing works).

im afraid its not that simple when you come threw the gate with the complex behind you the frame rate is slow the directions when the fps improved seemed random

cant remember if i still had the same problem when i first moved to windows 7 or not but i know it still didnt work with the first 2.0 patch was win 7 out at that stage? but it now works fine with the 3.0 patch

im afraid its not that simple when you come threw the gate with the complex behind you the frame rate is slow the directions when the fps improved seemed random

cant remember if i still had the same problem when i first moved to windows 7 or not but i know it still didnt work with the first 2.0 patch was win 7 out at that stage? but it now works fine with the 3.0 patch

Well that's just plain weird. But, if it's fixed now, who really cares? ;)

Love the X games, defiantly looking forward to this one. Having a better story like it suggest will lead to a better game as long as they let the world open up for free play like the others do not too far in.