Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Virtuoso

Does a tablet exist with these specs?

I've been reading all the threads about the different versions of Galaxy Tab, and I'm starting to think that every current version has some flaw which makes it less than ideal.

Here's what I want in a tablet...

• 10 inch or so screen
  • usb port
  • Android Honeycomb 3 operating system
  • expandable onboard memory

Is there currently a tablet with these specs, do you know...?

Thanks in advance for your tips.

Edited by Virtuoso

There is a top 20 tablets here, and one 11" model will run win7. Maybe you will find something close to what you want, or when you pick one you may find its able to be customised to the specs you want.

If you want a full size USB port, then there is the recently released Acer Iconia A500 and the currently unreleased Toshiba Tablet.

If you mind using a converter the Xoom (which is available internationally) has a mini usb port.

All of the above are wifi only models, the A501 (3G version of the A500) is apparently due out mid next month as will a Telstra stocked 3G version of the Xoom.

I don't know about the expandable memory bit, I'm guessing most tablets aren't going support users opening them up to add RAM.

I don't know about the expandable memory bit, I'm guessing most tablets aren't going support users opening them up to add RAM.

The new Galaxy Tabs coming in June/July have a microsd slot to provide upgraded memory. However, they will also have lower res cameras than the current Tab 10.1v, and (I think) no USB port. So it's one step forward and two steps back.

The Acer Iconia GoFaster just mentioned (thanks) apparently has a microsd slot. It would be great except that it's a fat and heavy tab relative to other tabs.

Edited by Virtuoso

The new Galaxy Tabs coming in June/July have a microsd slot to provide upgraded memory.
That's storage, not memory/RAM, you guys are just using different terms and are both correct in what you mean.

As far as I'm aware there isn't what you want available in Australia right now in large part because Honeycomb is only just starting to filter in. Something like the Asus Transfer will probably fit your needs once it's available, and there'll be plenty of other options too.

As Tantryl said, Honeycomb is just starting to filter through, so give it a month or two and we'll see a lot more options.

As he said the Asus Transformer fits. Just need it to be released (April 26 in the US, apparently May for the rest of the world)

The tablet itself has a MicroSD slot, the keyboard dock has SD and USB ports.

Thanks guys, you're right, didn't realise we were talking at cross-purposes about memory.

That Transformer looks ilke just what I need. I love the option of having a keyboard dock.

I wonder whether it's better to get the Windows version or the Android version? (All my other gear is Windows.)

Edited by Virtuoso

If you're after a Windows one, ASUS do have one planned too. EEE Pad Slate

A little info I managed to find

For the Microsoft fans, the Eee Slate EP121 is a 12.1-inch, Windows-based tablet with a 1280-by-800 multi-touch display. It runs an Intel Core i5 processor and Windows 7 Home Premium. The tablet (slideshow below) includes Wireless-N, a mini-HDMI port, two USB ports, a card reader, and a 2-megapixel dual webcam. The device also includes Flash support.

The Eee Slate is available in 32GB and 64GB versions and has up to 4GB of DDR3 RAM. It will cost between $999 and $1,099 and be available at some point in January, though Asus did not specify an exact date

I admit that I have my eye on the Transformer too. The keyboard dock also adds to the battery too. I'm still looking at the Xoom and occasionally I'll flick back to Notion Ink's Adam, but for now the Transformer is the one I'm looking at.

Edited by morris

Android, windows tablets have crap battery life :(

I've also heard that Windows 7 doesn't work all that well with a touchscreen.

I'm still torn between the Acer and the Asus, I'm not sure if the lack of a USB slot (on the tablet) will end up being a major pain in the arse, but then the Asus does have an IPS screen and is $200 cheap than the Acer...

Either way if you end up getting a tablet let us know how it turns out, might make choosing a little easier :)

Edited by GoFaster

Actually, the Ribbon interface is perfectly suited to touchscreens IMO :)

Sweet, have you had any issues with windows using a touchscreen?

Not on my plays with a mates HP TM2, it seems really good for what he uses it for. Battery life is still not good enough for these "appliance-like" tablets however. It's not instant-on.

I noticed most tablets come with 1GB RAM and not 2GB.

I'm guessing 2GB of RAM and a MicroSD card slot would be ideal.

Here's the Asus Australia Facebook page , check the price difference between the two (USA and Aus.) :S

Edited by GoFaster

Thanks guys. Guess I'll be importing it from the US!

EDIT: just checked some of the US suppliers and none of them seem to have it available for order yet :-(

Edited by Virtuoso

If that's accurate, then I'm really disappointed in ASUS. I was hoping prices would be more reasonable given the pricing overseas.

I'm going to find out if work is going to stock them, and if so what I would get it for. I'm still interested, but only if the price is right.

Plesae let us know how you go Morris. I think a lot of people will be very interested in getting one of these.

If that's accurate, then I'm really disappointed in ASUS. I was hoping prices would be more reasonable given the pricing overseas.

I'm going to find out if work is going to stock them, and if so what I would get it for. I'm still interested, but only if the price is right.

I know what you mean. I just got one of these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834220850

$US350 to Americans ... I had to pay $580 to local here who imported it from HK in the first place. It was really hard to get from any local company in first place.

If you're still keen for the Asus Transformer from the US, you're going to have to be lucky and/or know people in the right places.

Sold out in minutes

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/26/asus-ee...iately-sells-o/

ASUS Eee Pad Transformer goes on sale in US, immediately sells out at Amazon

The US had to wait for its Eee Pad Transformer launch a little longer than the rest of the world, but it's finally gotten its wish today and consumers' reaction seems to have been nothing short of voracious. Amazon's order page for the $400 Android 3.0 tablet appears to have gone from "in stock" to "out of stock" within mere minutes, while Target -- the supplier fulfilling orders on behalf of Amazon -- also lists the Transformer as presently unavailable. ASUS' own Where To Buy page leads us to a bunch of dead ends as well, with Best Buy being the only retailer we can currently find with stock in the US. We can't say for sure whether we're looking at overwhelming demand or just limited supply, but it's hard to argue with ASUS' excellent value proposition here: a 10-inch IPS display, a dual-core SOC and a feature-rich tablet OS all for less than four Benjamins. You'll just need to be quick on the trigger if you want one.

I think us Australians will be on the short end of the supply line again with EEE Transformer. And then we'll be paying far too much.

If any one is interested in the Asus Transformer, it is now available to pre-order at B&H (one of the few places that will ship directly to Aus.)

Edited by GoFaster

If any one is interested in the Asus Transformer, it is now available to pre-order at B&H (one of the few places that will ship directly to Aus.)

And the base model is approximately $450 shipped with the current exchange rate.