After a drive scare, Im now going to buy some DECENT sata cables. They're often the issue.

I was told ones distributed by Intel with part number : C95764-001 are the best. Did great in SnR, resistance, etc tests.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/LOT-25pc-22-SATA-CA...=item20b878ef64

What should I be looking at for good cables? Ive only ever found a couple of properly tested cables.

For anyone interested, Ive done some research. Its all heresay and 'user testing' but its widespread and IMO solid.

First up, 26AWG cables, seem to be WAY better than 30AWG.

Makes sense, lower resistance. If you search for cable errors, MOST are using 30AWG, and MOST are fixed only by 'upgrading' to 26AWG.

Who'da thunk it?

2ndly, I found someone who works for a large data storage company on a forum, PM'd him to make sure he was legit.

APPARENTLY his company wont let him release the raw data of their tests, but overall the above item code (C95764-001) had the least loss and noise.

That ebay link has the same model number, and a google of the number along with 'bizlink' suggests they're 26AWG cables.

If they're not, I may be out $15. Oh well.

I'll let you know when they arrive if any of them show faults, and if the connectors are tight.

As i said, NOTHING solid, all heresay, but the widespread nature of this problem and fix must give it some form of passing creditability.

Edited by Master_Scythe

Only cable related issues I've ever had has been from cheap shitty connectors falling out.

All my current cables are ones that came with Gigabyte motherboards, and have a little metal clip on them that does well to stop them working/vibrating free.

the gigabyte ones with metal clips are often made by foxconn and are the exact model i linked above.

Also, MOST gigabtye ones are already 26AWG (though not all).

Mine work fine too, but i find gigabyte ones are loose by nature. annoyingly.

I had issues a few months ago, with what I thought was a dodgy drive. Wouldn't format properly, so I did it in a USB caddy. Then it was all but useless and completely locked up my PC. I found the problem was either a dodgy SATA port, or cable. I haven't gotten around to testing which...

Anyway, I'm going to be building storage boxes over the coming year or two, and am going to need like thirty SATA cables. Getting guaranteed good ones is probably a good idea. Don't really want to pay $8 a pop though :/ Surely you can buy a huge box of them from somewhere?

I've had problems in the past with dodgy sata cables. When I first built my system, windows wouldn't install. Would get about 5 mins in and then BSOD. After pulling my hair out trying to fix it, I swapped the sata cable and magically it started working!

I haven't found a dodgy sata cable in the many builds I have done so far. Wear and Tear yes, but straight off the bat dodgy, no.

Having said that, I have had dodgy IDE cables before though. It seems odd that one type of sata cable could be that much better than others though, they're not exactly complicated.

I haven't found a dodgy sata cable in the many builds I have done so far. Wear and Tear yes, but straight off the bat dodgy, no.

Having said that, I have had dodgy IDE cables before though. It seems odd that one type of sata cable could be that much better than others though, they're not exactly complicated.

They are not better then others. Its like the whole HDMI cable argument saying that you should buy this moster $500 HDMI cable instead of the $2 one of ebay. A sata cable is a stable cable only thing that differentiates them from sata,sata2 and sata 3 is the connectors on the end of them.

I'd have to say since moving from PATA to SATA I haven't had one bad cable. I just use the ones that come with various Asus & Gigabyte mobos I buy. As as been said, I don't see how there can be that big a difference.

- that doesn't mean that there isn't, just that I can't see it :)

I had issues a few months ago, with what I thought was a dodgy drive. Wouldn't format properly, so I did it in a USB caddy. Then it was all but useless and completely locked up my PC. I found the problem was either a dodgy SATA port, or cable. I haven't gotten around to testing which...

Anyway, I'm going to be building storage boxes over the coming year or two, and am going to need like thirty SATA cables. Getting guaranteed good ones is probably a good idea. Don't really want to pay $8 a pop though :/ Surely you can buy a huge box of them from somewhere?

That link I gave is for 25 for 16USD delivered.

They match the part number and are 26AWG.

I have some on the way.

yeah thats what I thought, but he has max rating and a lot of sales.

If the're shit, i'm down about $15 including delivery. It wont kill me.