morris

[PS3, PSP] PSN users - your data has been compromised

Since last Wednesday I think, the PSN has been down. It was because of an "external intrusion". Basically they got cracked.

Now Sony have admitted that the intruders got your PSN details too. They haven't confirmed credit card details though, but keep an eye on your accounts.

Here's the first part of the article on Ars Technica

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/04...been-stolen.ars

Sony admits utter PSN failure: your personal data has been stolen

Sony has finally come clean about the "external intrusion" that has caused the company to take down the PlayStation Network service, and the news is almost as bad as it can possibly get. The hackers have all your personal information, although Sony is still unsure about whether your credit card data is safe. Everything else on file when it comes to your account is in the hands of the hackers.

In other words, Sony's security has failed in a spectacular fashion, and we're just now finding out about it. In both practical and PR terms, this is a worst-case scenario.

What did they get?

Here is the data that Sony is sure has been compromised if you have a PlayStation Network Account:

* Your name

* Your address (city, state, and zip)

* Country

* E-mail address

* Birthday

* PSN password and login name

"It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained," Sony announced. While the company claims that there is "no evidence" that credit card information has been compromised, it won't rule out the possibility.

Their advice is to be safe, rather than sorry. "If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained."

Further reading

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/26/...k-and-qriocity/

Edited by morris

Credit card numbers, expiry dates and billing history confirmed as 'likely' to have been compromised (Source)

Absolutely pathetic fail from Sony IMO.

Edited by philo-sofa

They were "investigating" the intrusion to find out what happened.

Day one, they should've come out and said:

We're terribly sorry to inform you that our user data storage has been compromised.

We're shutting down access to the PSN as a part of our active investigation.

Then kept people informed as new info emerged...such as when they discovered exactly what data had been mined.

Sweeping it under the carpet and hoping that no one notices wins them no favours.

Sweeping it under the carpet and hoping that no one notices wins them no favours.

And they sure need as many favours as possible at the moment.

Does this mean PSN is back up?

PSN is staying down until they can identify the breach and secure it.

That's my understanding of what's been happening the last week.

Hector: That would have been the smart and honest approach to the situation.

They were "investigating" the intrusion to find out what happened.

Day one, they should've come out and said:

We're terribly sorry to inform you that our user data storage has been compromised.

We're shutting down access to the PSN as a part of our active investigation.

Then kept people informed as new info emerged...such as when they discovered exactly what data had been mined.

I have a feeling they were hoping that nothing serious was compromised, and they could be back up and running without losing face.

In any case with the risk of private data and money, they shouldn't have taken that risk and it doesn't look good for them at all.

Not related to the Sony debacle, but I wonder if it's possible to get my CC details removed from Steam. Sure, their support use credit card details to confirm account ownership, but it's a security risk.

now children, that's why you play games on the pc.

at least until Steam gets hacked. It's probably a very tasty target.

Considering that PSN has a Portal into Steam I wouldn't be all high and mighty just yet...

at least until Steam gets hacked. It's probably a very tasty target.

God if Steam gets hacked.... they'll be demonic flying pigs in the sky. And not in a good way. :P Edited by Mr.Twinkie

They might have a legitimate reason as to why they only informed people today

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/...ach-Immediately

Sony didn't tell PSN users that personal information had been compromised right away because it took some time to figure out what happened.

Sony recently hit PlayStation Network users with a doozy when it informed them that all of their personal information may have been obtained by "external forces." Sony learned of the breach around a week earlier, prompting everyone, including one angry senator, to wonder why the company didn't reveal that sensitive information may have been stolen right away. According to Sony, it simply wasn't aware of the leak.

The latest post from Sony's Patrick Seybold on the PlayStation Blog details a little more of the internal steps that Sony had to take when it learned someone had gained illegitimate entry into the PSN. "There's a difference in timing between when we identified there was an intrusion and when we learned of consumers' data being compromised," he wrote.

"We learned there was an intrusion April 19th and subsequently shut the services down," Seybold continued. "We then brought in outside experts to help us learn how the intrusion occurred and to conduct an investigation to determine the nature and scope of the incident. It was necessary to conduct several days of forensic analysis, and it took our experts until yesterday to understand the scope of the breach. We then shared that information with our consumers and announced it publicly this afternoon (April 26)."

It's impossible to know if Sony is telling the truth, because this would be the official story no matter what the case. However, when you're dealing with a situation where literally hundreds of thousands (millions?) of customers may have had their information stolen by a "scary hacker man," you're going to want to make sure that you know it actually happened.

The best idea is definitely to perform a full investigation rather than to spark outrage for no reason. Unfortunately, the situation with the PSN has sparked outrage with good reason, which is much, much worse.

It took a week to find it out? Yeah right.

The only reason I can see this happening is that, due to the Easter weekend, only the on call support people where looking into things so it was reduced bums-on-seats and someone has only checked that now everyone is back from holidays.

Also, someone commented to me that perhaps the hackers aren't looking for personal information, perhaps this was an attempt to kill Sony after them screwing customers around again and again and again and again.

It took a week to find it out? Yeah right.

The only reason I can see this happening is that, due to the Easter weekend, only the on call support people where looking into things so it was reduced bums-on-seats and someone has only checked that now everyone is back from holidays.

Also, someone commented to me that perhaps the hackers aren't looking for personal information, perhaps this was an attempt to kill Sony after them screwing customers around again and again and again and again.

It is probably the same people who have exploited the PS3/PSP's hacks in the past, and used them to homebrew consoles. I'm just glad I never linked a CC to my PSN account.

I had been meaning to purchase a PSN card for a while, but if the network is still down, looks like I will put it off longer.

Ironically, it was the PSN card that was better than doing CC on the PSN for me. I was about to use my CC before I bit the bullet and bought a card. :P

In all sense, it does show that people should be careful with their CC details these days.

Ironically, it was the PSN card that was better than doing CC on the PSN for me. I was about to use my CC before I bit the bullet and bought a card. :P

In all sense, it does show that people should be careful with their CC details these days.

As i said on facebook:

"It wouldn't make a difference. I could buy plane tickets online and the database could get hacked and my details taken. I could buy the same tickets in store at a flight centre and, because they have online operations (which one would assume uses the same database), possibly end up in the same situation should someone successfully gain access to their database."

The person who followed me stated that they got ripped off after using their CC at a servo.

Anyway, I cancelled my cards today. I'm on a tight timeframe in the next week, and I can't afford to leave the country without a working CC. So I canned it at lunch today, and should have the replacement by monday - tuesday next week.

As i said on facebook:

"It wouldn't make a difference. I could buy plane tickets online and the database could get hacked and my details taken. I could buy the same tickets in store at a flight centre and, because they have online operations (which one would assume uses the same database), possibly end up in the same situation should someone successfully gain access to their database."

The person who followed me stated that they got ripped off after using their CC at a servo.

Anyway, I cancelled my cards today. I'm on a tight timeframe in the next week, and I can't afford to leave the country without a working CC. So I canned it at lunch today, and should have the replacement by monday - tuesday next week.

As I said to my friend when he got scammed using his CC:

"No matter how hard you try to hide something, someone or a group of people WILL find it regardless. The only uncertainty is when."

I've already asked the bank to cancel my new card today just in case it was used already. The problem is that they (the hackers) already have my name and possibly my DoB which is even more incriminating. So I probably will cancel my PSN ID soon.

While I can understand the steps you took (tho not necessarily with the cancelling of the PSN account), you're kinda missing the point.

You wouldn't, in theory (and its theory only because it hasn't happened yet), have to give your CC details online to the flightcentre website to run the risk of having someone obtaining your info. Its not what you do with your information - its what they do with it. So you may feel safer walking into the store and performing an over the counter transaction, but its ultimately a false sense of security.

The only way you can really be safe is to cancel your credit cards - not simply replace them.

I just got off the phone with my bank. I decided to cancel my card no point taking chances! But i'm royally pissed off.