bnew

PSA: Ubuntu 11.04 Released

From where I sit, it could be even better if the community wasn't so fragmented. Imagine how good it could have been if eSD, ARTS, PA, JACK, OSS, ALSA, and whoever else banded together?

Well, eSD is no longer in the game, the official successor for that is PulseAudio (and careful with acronyms like "PA", it can also stand for PortAudio which is a cross-platform audio library... actually the one Audacity is based on). ARTS has also been canned, the KDE team now use Phonon which uses xine or gstreamer (on Linux, it also talks to CoreAudio on MacOS X and DirectSound on Windows) as its backend, both of which can talk to OSS, ALSA or PulseAudio.

OSS and ALSA won't band together, ALSA officially replaces OSS under Linux, with OSS only being maintained for legacy reasons.

JACK and PulseAudio already do work together, as while they appear to have different purposes on the surface, they are trying to achieve quite different aims. Lennart Poettering has already explained that the projects are quite different in their aims and won't merge. Instead, PulseAudio becomes a JACK client.

Most userspace applications are being written these days using something like gstreamer, SDL or PortAudio to do the communications with the audio subsystem, so ALSA is becoming less relevant these days. It's very easy to suggest we all just merge and be one happy family, but as we've seen from the big fish (just look at how much of the corporate IT world has "merged" into Microsoft), that doesn't always achieve what we want either.

Edited by Redhatter

From what I've been reading, I must be the only person who loves Unity (other than Canonical employees).

Ubuntu is awesome. I love Ubuntu One, and will soon need a second 20GB pack (!). Quickly is really fun and interesting. DesktopCouch is awesome, I can't wait to see how that evolves in the next few years. AppIndicators are really sweet, and have reduced the clutter in the notification area.

I think it's awesome that Ubuntu is daring to be different in a world of "me too!" Linux distros.

Canonical has a lot of detractors. I think if people put the politics aside, they would see that Canonical is making some great software, and to do that, have to make some decisions that not every single community is going to like. My server will probably always run FreeBSD, but Ubuntu is a wonderful desktop distro which is getting better all the time.

I must say I'm really enjoying Ubuntu. I've never used a Linux distro before, I've always been a Windows guy. However, after seeing screen-shots of Unity in action I thought it was time to finally give Ubuntu a go.

I can pretty much replicate in Ubuntu, all the things I'd typically be doing on my Windows PC. Only question is though, which I'll ask here before Googling it, can I easily create desktop icons?

I can pretty much replicate in Ubuntu, all the things I'd typically be doing on my Windows PC. Only question is though, which I'll ask here before Googling it, can I easily create desktop icons?

You can right click on any file or application and go to "Make Link". Then just drag that to your desktop. However, I don't think that really is the most effective way to navigate. If you press your Windows key on your keyboard, you get the Dash. It's probably faster to type the name of the application than to minimise windows to the desktop. As Unity and Ubuntu mature, we'll start to see more novel ways of using the Dash through the use of Lens's.

So, I tried out 11.04 on the weekend. At this stage, I'm liking Unity less than Gnome. I'll keep using it for a while and see if it grows on me.