mykl_c

62dB attenuation downstream

Down Up 
Line Coding(Trellis): On On 
SNR Margin (0.1 dB): 78 170 
Attenuation (0.1 dB): 620 300 
Output Power (0.1 dBm): 182 119 
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 1312 808
Any suggestions on pulling in a couple of extra Kbps down?

Apart from moving closer to the POP?

Edited by mykl_c

Down Up 
Line Coding(Trellis): On On 
SNR Margin (0.1 dB): 78 170 
Attenuation (0.1 dB): 620 300 
Output Power (0.1 dBm): 182 119 
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 1312 808
Any suggestions on pulling in a couple of extra Kbps down?

Apart from moving closer to the POP?

That truly is godawful stats, I thought I was bad at 59dB.

No need to move closer to the POP, just the exchange or RIM.

:P

If you have any hiss or noise on the phone line then you could try reporting a voice fault to your voice provider (assuming not a naked connection). Don't mention ADSL.

You may get a few more Kb out of the line and will probably get an increase in real transfer speed (less errors and therefore retransmits) if you lock your modem to G.Dmt (8Mbit ADSL), assuming the modem has the settings to do this (some don't some do). With that high attenuation you also should be running a Broadcom chipset modem as the Broadcom chipset seems to be far more robust at holding a connection on a long or noisy phoneline. Most if not all TP-Link modems are broadcom chipsets and are very good on crap phonelines.

If there is the option you could play with your SNR a bit, don't go below 6dB unless you want constant dropouts.

Check all devices on the phone line, except the modem, are filtered. Could try putting filters on any unused phone sockets in the house, this can sometimes help oddly enough.

are you in brisbane and is this new?

In the last hour, my attenuation jmped from 40dbs to 101dbs, opr speed has dropped from 6mbps to 320kbps.

annoying. Hopefully it picks up soon.

are you in brisbane and is this new?

In the last hour, my attenuation jmped from 40dbs to 101dbs, opr speed has dropped from 6mbps to 320kbps.

annoying. Hopefully it picks up soon.

Should plug your phone line back in the wall.

Probably a stoopid question, but have you tested the stats from every socket in your house? It may give an indicator of internal line quality.

Check your phone cable from the moment it enters your house to the moment it terminates. The number of times I've seen cable held in place by staples from a staple gun. Not too bad for voice, but kills ADSL. I've given people extra Mbps by re-running internal cables.

Otherwise, I'm outta suggestions.

Dave

i chcekd everything. nothings changed.

At least I till have sync, just sharing 300kbps between 6 people is slow.

Yeah I had that happen one night. walked over to the wall socket and one of the guys had tripped on the cable and pulled it 1/2 way out.

OP:

Try changing your routers settings to ADSL1 (assuming its ADSL2+); you're well within ADSL1 spec there and it should show a few more Kbps

I gained a whole 1Mbps when i changed my ADSL2+ to ADSL1.

You're simply telling the modem to accept different tolerances. There are other differences, but none that you'll see on your end.

Mudg3:

Yeah, a 10 minute call to exetel managed to get it sped up to 1.5Mbps, but thats the best they can force without it dropping.

Its now logged with Telstra as a line fault, and they'll keep me updated by SMS. Thus far been recieveing hourly SMS's as their job progresses through telstras queue.

quite impressed with exetel.

Just shits me this happens... randomly with no change.

I only have one wall socket, and it only serves the modem. no phones.

Configured Current

Line Status --- SHOWTIME

Link Type --- Interleaved Path

[Go Top]

Data Rate:

Stream Type Actual Data Rate

Up Stream 166 (Kbps.)

Down Stream 1630 (Kbps.)

[Go Top]

Operation Data / Defect Indication:

Operation Data Upstream Downstream

Noise Margin 12 dB 7 dB

Attenuation 101 dB 63 dB

Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator

Fast Path FEC Correction 0 0

Interleaved Path FEC Correction 0 95134

Fast Path CRC Error 0 0

Interleaved Path CRC Error 0 2521

Loss of Signal Defect 0 ---

Fast Path HEC Error 0 0

Interleaved Path HEC Error 0 0

[Go Top]

Statistics:

Received Cells 243651

Transmitted Cells 71129

Master_Scythe - I'm in Wollongong NSW. With Exetel. They managed to get the change approved and the situation is a little better, save financially, where it's better! $50 per month for 200GB down ADSL2 instead of $70 for 60/120GB down ADSL+

Downstream Upstream 
Line Coding(Trellis): 	On 	   On 
SNR Margin (0.1 dB): 	75 	   62 
Attenuation (0.1 dB): 	560 	   304 
Output Power (0.1 dBm): 176 	   124 
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 2308 	   765
6dB reduction in attenuation! +1000Kbps. It's not huge, but it's better.

Even Atomic has stopped dropping out every time I change pages or post a comment.

Aliali - Modem is NetComm NB6Plus4W and it works like a trooper, usually up for weeks at a time.

Have tested phone connections, all ok, no change with different cables/lengths/points, only one filtered phone in the house, no change with it disconnected and joint (double adapter) removed.

Guess I'll just start putting a little tension on the T side of the line and see if there's any slack!

EDIT: Interestingly, Pingtest tells me my quality has dropped from a B to an F! Good thing I don't multiplay.

Edited by mykl_c

Where do you get these stats about your line from? Sites give me more basic info, but would be nice to have those details (that I don't understand). There's over 5km of line between me and the exchange, so I don't know what to expect when my higher speed plan kicks in on Monday.

Stats page in the modem should give you that type of info harmonic. Just log into your modem and look around for adsl stats.

Cheers

Had a quick squiz through the manual, and there should be a status tab up top... Click that and then underneath that on a new line you should be able to see DSL. Click that and hopefully voila!

Yeah, there's where I checked, it doesn't have anything with dB mesaurements. Unless the units are implied.

Downstream Rate: 1536 kbps
Upstream Rate: 256 kbpbs

PVC Connection 	 

Encapsulation: RFC 2364 PPPoA
Multiplexing: VC
QoS:	UBR
PCR:	
SCR:	
Autodetect: Enable
VPI: 8
VCI: 35
Enable: 1
PVC Status: Up

hmmm... interesting.

Try this link

http://192.168.1.1/setup.cgi?next_file=adsl_driver.htm

edit - assuming the modems ip is 192.168.1.1

Cheers

edit 2 - Read around e a little bit more and seems like cisco didn't implement this feature?! Looks like you may not get to find out what your snr margins are. Weird.

Edited by mattym

Probably a stoopid question, but have you tested the stats from every socket in your house? It may give an indicator of internal line quality.

I'd disconnect everything after my lead in, and plug the modem directly into that. The things I've seen in some residential places would keep liney's up at night.

'