Sign in to follow this  
thesorehead

Help me pick a 22" monitor

Hey all,

Been looking around, reading reviews and such so now I have a shortlist. However not all of these monitors actually have reviews, and some have various features that can't be summed up in "well, the panel was made here so it sucks".

I'm going to be doing a bit of everything with this monitor, from gaming and movie-watching to amateur photo-editing and essay-writing. These are all at my pricepoint (~$250). If you have experience with these monitors, dealing with the manufacturer for warranty, read reviews I've missed, or any monitor I may have overlooked (even if it creeps towards $300) I'd appreciate your input.

SO, onto the shortlist! Prices from MSY

LG W2242T-BF - $231. Got a great review from At0mic (or was it PCA? whatever). Cheap and simple. 3 year zero dead pixel policy (IIRC)

Viewsonic VX2255WMB - $265. Good reviews, webcam (always wanted one, never CBF what with mounting it and all).

BenQ E2200HD - $239. 1920x1080 in a 21.5" screen? HELLS YES!! DVI + HDMI, headphone passthrough - at the moment this one is on top, especially as HD media becomes more common (and BRD drives dive in price over time) ... pixel policy not as good, and there are no reviews! :--[

I'll just leave it there. I'd love some impressions as I really want to get a new screen!

Thanks!

I'm in the same boat as you, looking for a new screen, pref a 22", for under $250 so I've been reading a lot of reviews etc to get an idea of good screens. Out of those 3 screens you have listed I was going to purchase the E2200HD since it has VGA, DVI, HDMI and a massive resolution and is fairly cheap.

Found a site with a review but it's only a partial review as the person testing on just got the screen so might be good for asking questions about the BenQ E2200HD. Little warning, there is a lot of pictures that haven't been resized so may take a while to load. http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1359320

Yeah I saw that one. Doesn't count as a review in my books. More like another index680i going off about how he likes his new toy. Which is fine in itself, but it's not a review.

c'mon, is there anybody out there??

Thx Faldo, got that article with my At0mic magazine. Was hoping to get impressions on the other screens in the OP as "Full HD" is pretty dang impressive, and having a built-in webcam in a desktop monitor is pretty rare.

*sigh* ah well, guess I'll just have to wait. Don't really *need* the screen right now - but dang I'd like an upgrade from the crappy LG that I have ATM. My older Samsung still defecates all over it.

Samsung and AOC is a good option. But it's you who will decide on what to buy. It is better if you spend some of your time in canvassing on different stores and look for 22" monitors. This will help you determine the right one.

I had considered that option. However there are two primary reasons why wandering around retail stores looking at monitors is not going to work for me:

1. retail stores don't have good reference images, nor do they have the monitors set up properly.

2. retail stores typically don't have the monitors I'm after (or the ones that get good reviews) out on display - and I don't have time to go crazy driving all around Sydney in the hope of chasing down a display model. I bought my current Samsung (172x) on the strength of the review it got from at0mic (amongst other sources) and it has served me well. I never saw one in a retail store, got it from MSY.

But, if there are no reviews or reliable impressions to go from, I'll just have to wait. I could do what I did years ago and grab the LG that at0mic loved - but when I could be getting what might be a better screen for $8 extra, and I don't really need it right now ... I think I'll wait for the moment.

i have that one they reviewed in atomic, the more expensive of the two LGs.

well more specifically my brother has it. compared to my 24" acer, the color accuracy is excellent. my brother does art on his computer like every day so color accuracy is incredibly important to him. he still says there is room for improvement tho, so im not sure if hes 100% satisfied with it, but he's not really complaining.

i am also interested in the BenQ E2200HD, i just wish there were more reviews.

ultimately to determine a good monitor, one needs to have a hands-on with it. unlike the prevalent layout of tv stores, us who like to try-before-buy monitors are left out in the cold and have to rely on second-hand information, ie. reviews. if you can find a shop that has popular monitors on display that theyll let you fiddle with and test in-store, then i think its worth paying a bit exra when you find th e monitor that u really like.

basically the things you should be looking for is this - color accuracy (which entails depth and contrast) and ability to play DVDs at full res without video noise/pixelation. those together are the hallmarks of a quality monitor for the full gammet of applications.

and like i said, i wish there was more reviews of the BenQ and more stores that offered demo/hands-on.

Yeah it sucks eh, that there are no reviews for the monitors we really want to find out about.

I may just get the cheaper of the LGs reviewed in at0mic - one of my workmates recently got the more expensive of the two and it looks pretty good (though you have to do some adjusting - it's not perfect out of the box)

Well, atm I'm considering the more expensive LG, as it looks good from the reviews I've seen .. .

It'll be a good replacement for my 17in CRT that I've had to use for the past 3 years. . .. .

i saw the review for LG, i think that's the best for under $250, but price has increase now

anandtech has just reviewed the E2200HD and e2400HD. I'm still reading it atm. But I'm also interested in the e2200hd, price is too good to be true.

Now I'm wondering if the price we have right now on the e2200HD is right. Anandtech say $250US. but its available for $239 here.