GoFaster

Acer Iconia A500

As I posted before I've been looking at buying a tablet primarily for uni but also for something to play around with when I don't want/need to boot up my main computer. In the end it came down to either the Acer or the Asus Transformer. While the Transformer had the technically better screen and was available cheaper by import but it was also unavailable (the first shipment sold out in only a few hours) and lacked a USB port in any format, which was the clincher for the Acer as at the time I couldn't get my wireless network running (Which I've since solved, I had the Router and Modem on the same subnet...). The version I have is the 32GB 10.1 Inch model running Android 3.whatever as this was the only version that the Good Guys I went to had in stock, it cost me $629 which I was happy with (I have read on Whirlpool that some people have got it for sub $600, but I had no proof of this when I went in and I live in a completely different state to were this price was from)

The device doesn't boot instantly, there is a few seconds delay between power up and usage. It feels a little heavy but I got use to the weight pretty quickly, keeping in mind I don't have a smart phone or a netbook so I don't really have any point of comparison. The 10.1 inch screen looks fantastic, it's the right size for me (I think any smaller and it just wouldn't be useful) and I've had no problems with the touch sensitivity, No problems with the viewing angles either but it can be a little be glarey if you get it in the wrong spot compared to a light source. I've installed ES File Explorer and moved files from my main computer to the tablet and that went flawlessly, as did connecting it to my wireless network. Web browsing using the inbuilt Browser and Dolphin HD went smoothly and as fast as my Desktop browsers after I adjusted the settings to display the desktop version of webpages, which for the built in browser had to be done in debug mode for some reason. Youtube clips play fine with the built in app, but so far I've found that both browsers don't like some content, I tried to watch the latest episode of The Colbert Report and Browser would just crash back to the desktop, and Dolphin HD would run the content but if I moved the screen (as in scroll up or down) it would also crash back to desktop, but at least it doesn't just freeze.

I haven't done any typing on it yet, but plan on getting an app from the market so that I can do some basic word processing, but this won't be its main purpose. Actually speaking of word processing does anyone know of any apps that let me use my finger/a stylus to write like I'm using a piece of paper? I've probably missed a few things, but if you have any questions ask away and I'll try to answer them.

Edited for Spelling and Grammar

Edited by GoFaster

What's the battery life like?

It had 40% battery when I first powered it up and that lasted me about 4 and a half hours, during that time I spent about 45 minutes playing games (Angry Birds and some Spartan game that it come with), about an hour of low res video from Colbert nation and youtube and the rest of the time doing some light browsing.

Quick review on Ausdroid has mostly given it the thumbs up

http://ausdroid.net/2011/05/07/acer-iconia...-tablet-review/

Only thing they mentioned that I don't like is the part about in sunlight. I plan to use it mostly on the train to and from work. I usually get a seat, but sometimes it's in direct sunlight, which might make it hard to read.

Still tempted. I need to play around with the one at work.

I gave it a go at work today and I like it.

One of my workmates was wondering why I wanted it over an iPad. I think I convinced him and he's now rethinking his stance on the iPad.

I'm going to wait for the Asus Transformer before making up my mind though.

Picked one of these up today. So far I quite like it. Will take me some time to get the feel for it, but it has a nice weight and responsiveness.

So i've been playing with the samsung vesions a couple of guys here at work have (one of them just got back from google IO and scored a free Samsung 10" tablet. The new ones luck SOB)

and i've noticed that the swype keyboard isn't on the honeycomb versions by default?

I find that feature one of the faster ways to input data in meetings etc on my smalled samsung 7" on the older version of android.

Can you turn it on? or you have to go get an app to do this now?

Nearly bought one last week but a workmate got one the same day and reported it doesn't play Game of Thrones properly. no L4.1 support for h264 and apparently no chance of firmware/software update to fix. dealbreaker.

So i've been playing with the samsung vesions a couple of guys here at work have (one of them just got back from google IO and scored a free Samsung 10" tablet. The new ones luck SOB)

and i've noticed that the swype keyboard isn't on the honeycomb versions by default?

I find that feature one of the faster ways to input data in meetings etc on my smalled samsung 7" on the older version of android.

SlideIT is the app that does the Swype thing. I installed it on one of the demo units at work, and it's pretty sweet. I will try the actual Swype keyboard too, if it supports the tablet resolution.

FWIW, I work as a demonstrator for Acer at the JB HiFi in Sydney, the slick new Centrepoint one. Come see me on Thursday 4:30-8:30pm or Friday 11am-3pm and I'll be sure to hook a brother up. :)

You can visit the swype beta website and sign up to the beta for free which gives you the links to download swype. Will have to check to see if devive is supported.

I have one and loooove it! Only gripe was screen glare and an anti glare and fingerprint free skin on the screen fixed this. Awesome aspect ratio for comics and books too.

I have one and loooove it! Only gripe was screen glare and an anti glare and fingerprint free skin on the screen fixed this. Awesome aspect ratio for comics and books too.

Apart from the screen protector, do you have any other accessories you use with it (eg case or stylus')?

Apart from the screen protector, do you have any other accessories you use with it (eg case or stylus')?

Yeah, just grabbed an ebay "leather" fold out case to keep it scratch free for like $30 but no stylus...never needed one before, is it worth getting one?

We got one to fiddle with at work. Something odd we've found, in the battery usage screen it shows 25% being devoted to Cell idle time. AFAIK it has no mobile phone network capabilities yet it's still spending battery time on it?

Have you guys found this? Android bug? Maybe something Acer forgot to take out of the OS build?

We got one to fiddle with at work. Something odd we've found, in the battery usage screen it shows 25% being devoted to Cell idle time. AFAIK it has no mobile phone network capabilities yet it's still spending battery time on it?

Have you guys found this? Android bug? Maybe something Acer forgot to take out of the OS build?

Yeah I'm having the same issue with mine, if it actually is using power it's chewing through more than the wifi. When I first got mine the product description on the device showed that it was the 3G capable A501, the latest update fixed this so I'm not sure want the issue is.

I got one yesterday. Are any of you guys able to tether it via USB through your PC?

I tried tethering via Bluetooth through my iPhone and while the devices see each other and are paired, that's as far as it goes :(

Nice! I ended up with a Motorola Xoom but the Acer has the advantage of a full sized USB port which is win

Not a bad device at all

Ug: I don't think you can tether for internet over USB on any android devices at the moment by default.

You should be able to use Personal hotspot over WiFi if you're running a recent version of iOS on your iPhone

Bought one cheap a few days ago. Nice responsive screen but a finger print magnet. I found it to be quite a bit heavier than my old Archos 101 but All-in-all not bad.

Had one for a few weeks. It's much better than I expected. The only problem is the glossy screen but a good screen protector will fix that. I'm going to install urukdroid and see how it goes.

I picked up a A501 last week from the Telstra shop as they now have them on plans.

Anyone else with a 501 still waiting on the 3.2 update to come down OTA.