mark84

Which Android phone should I get?

So I'm over my Nokia N97. Slowness just moving around menus and stuff want to get something a bit more snappier. That and Symbian has been shot in the face by Nokia so it's a dead platform.

Onwards to Android!

So, looking around the net I've come across two that are appealing.

- HTC Incredible S

- LG Optimus 2X

Now I was almost going to get the HTC one but then came across the LG. Now the atomican in me is twisting my arm saying "get the LG". Dual core, tegra2, HDMI out, includes 8GB internal storage, 1080p.

I like the look of the HTC though and the whole "Sense" UI thing seems interesting. Generally seems better on the software side. Waiting on Anandtech to bring their review out this week to see what they say.

I like the keyboard on my N97 for typing, but things like the HTC Desire Z are a bit sub par performance wise.

What one should I go for? LG with the hardware or HTC with the software? Or suggest another option.

Money isn't too much of an issue. I'll be buying one outright and $500 - $600 seems an ok price point.

I use my phone more for mobile entertainment and web browsing than I do actual calls :)

4" screen seems to be what I'm looking for, 4.5" ones look like miniature tablets in some shots I've seen lol

Edited by mark84

Thing is, if you want entertainment ... maybe an Android tablet is way to go.

I own a WP7 phone, not an Android one.

Edited by Jeruselem

Nah definitely needs to be a phone :)

How's WP7 go? Any good?

Mmm, just seen there's a HTC Sensation coming out June 8. Best of both hard/software? But it's a month wait.

Nah definitely needs to be a phone :)

How's WP7 go? Any good?

Mmm, just seen there's a HTC Sensation coming out June 8. Best of both hard/software? But it's a month wait.

Depends, if you don't like being tied down in OS (like the iPad) then WP7 is not for you.

There's a lot more apps for Android and not that many for WP7.

I suggest you visit a telco store and play with Wp7 phone first.

The NoDo update has fixed a lot of problems with the initial release. Waiting for bigger Mango update now.

It's really easy to relocate your Zune setup from one PC to another (compared to iTunes which makes it more difficult than it needs to be).

Edited by Jeruselem

I'll only add one minor point - put no weight on the camera.

The megapixels have been going up and up, but the problem with phone cameras IMO is the lens. You can't get a great shot from a tiny lens. A shot from a 2MP dedicated camera will be better than a 4MP phone simply because of the lens.

I know this is a generalisation, but I've never been impressed by pics taken from any phone, and I've loked at a few :)

I'll only add one minor point - put no weight on the camera.

The megapixels have been going up and up, but the problem with phone cameras IMO is the lens. You can't get a great shot from a tiny lens. A shot from a 2MP dedicated camera will be better than a 4MP phone simply because of the lens.

I know this is a generalisation, but I've never been impressed by pics taken from any phone, and I've loked at a few :)

+1 - yes, camera phones suck in general.

I'm loving my HTC Desire Z - The keyboard just makes life so much eaier. I find it perfectly fine with regards to performance though. You might be better to wait for the next release if you want the best performing phone. It's not long until HTC releases their new batch.

Edited by smakme7757

How rough are you on your phones? The build quality on the HTCs is second to none in my opinion. My Legend has had a pretty rough life, and it's only a mid-range, the Desire (which I also looked at) looks even tougher. Plus the software is smooth and simple. My friend has one of those pirdy Nokias mentioned and the software is shite! Ruins the phone.

I'm loving my HTC Desire Z - The keyboard just makes life so much eaier. I find it perfectly fine with regards to performance though. You might be better to wait for the next release if you want the best performing phone. It's not long until HTC releases their new batch.

If only it came in a 850Mhz flavour, the 2100Mhz is due to die next year with Telstra.

Have a look at reviews for the Samsung Galaxy S2. It should be available very shortly.

Looks interesting. I'll read up some more on it.

Yeah it looks like a neat phone, especially coming from the N97 with the keyboard and all that. I'm just thinking I might be ok though with proper touch screen keyboards that android has vs what this Nokia has from the early years of touch sceen input.

Is just using the touch screen keyboard ok to use though? I'm thinking I can live without the keyboard if it means a thinner more powerful phone.

Dell Streak. No competition IMO, unless you got one of the Droid Pro's or something with a hardware keyboard.

Interesting. Though with a 5" screen it's getting a bit large imo. Similar specs to the Incredible S

How rough are you on your phones? The build quality on the HTCs is second to none in my opinion. My Legend has had a pretty rough life, and it's only a mid-range, the Desire (which I also looked at) looks even tougher. Plus the software is smooth and simple. My friend has one of those pirdy Nokias mentioned and the software is shite! Ruins the phone.

I look after my equipment. My N97 still looks brand new :)

I'm careful. My HTC cost me $700. I aim keep the phone for a few years b4 replacing it again.

My previous Nokia 6131 actually still works well, but ... it's kinda obselete.

Another HTC fan here. Pretty much everyone I know with a HTC has never had an issue, and I got my Desire earlier this year and definitely have not looked back.

Plus there is a 2 year warranty (well, on the Desire anyway) for manufacturing defects, so if your phone is a faulty one, you have a long time to not worry.

I had a HTC Hero before the Z and i got used to the touch screen, but after having the Z i'm not all the keen on the touch screen anymore, but it is useful every now and again. The keyboard makes it much easier to type emails and so on. Anyhow you seem to want the most powerful beast you can get so i'd just wait until the end of may to see what's out and get the best of the bunch. My wife has ther Desire HD which is pretty powerful and she is delighted with it.

My mian focus when buying a phone, even more so with android, is if it has the grunt to run the next 2 versions of the OS. I'm prety sure both the Z and the HD will run Gingerbread very well, but i'm not too sure about the revision after that again, but i use it more as an organiser than an entertainment device. I have the Gameboy and Snes emulator on it as well as a drag racing game and some movies; otherwise it's all Email and work related stuffs.

I have a motorola atrix from AT&T in america off ebay, had to unlock it. It's a pretty awesome phone despite it being crippled by motoblur (launcher pro makes it seem like it's not even there). It's like the optimus 2x in that it's powered by tegra 2, but it has more ram which means scrolling through everything is smooth. The swype keyboard is also a huge bonus over other keyboards.

Dell Streak. No competition IMO, unless you got one of the Droid Pro's or something with a hardware keyboard.

I love mine to absolute bits, but the camera is incredibly crap. I'm really impressed at the camera quality that a mate's HTC somethingorother produced.

And the problem with fragile screens on the Streaks bites bottom too. At least replacements are down to $100 on eBay :D

Honestly though Mark, give it a try before you dismiss the size. It seems large at first, but if you've got a man sized body, you should get used to it in a day or less :D

The more I think about it, the HTC Sensation is looking more and more attractive. Sense 3.0 interface plus beefy guts. And I reckon 4.3" screen is workable.

Camera quality doesn't fuss me too much. I know if I need good shots I'll use a dedicated camera.

I think I'll wait until that's released and get it or something similar depending on what's out then. June 8 is apparently world wide release date (Vodafone and other retailers get it mid-late May).

Thanks for all your input peeps!

Im about to replace my nexus one, Think im leaning towards the motorola atrix. Being released by Telstra here in Oz next week.

Edited by russty1978

Atrix ay? I've seen mention of it around the joint but haven't looked into it. What's it got going for it?

FYI, I ordered a Samsung Galaxy S II, should ship this week or next.

Edited by mark84

I love mine to absolute bits, but the camera is incredibly crap. I'm really impressed at the camera quality that a mate's HTC somethingorother produced.

And the problem with fragile screens on the Streaks bites bottom too. At least replacements are down to $100 on eBay :D

Honestly though Mark, give it a try before you dismiss the size. It seems large at first, but if you've got a man sized body, you should get used to it in a day or less :D

Fragile? I thought gorilla glass was 'the shit' (in the good way)

FWIW Dad just got the Incredible S, it's fantastic. Is basically everything good about the Desire (minus the scrollpad and hard home/return buttons), it's plenty fast, and the battery seems to be awesome. Got it outright, imported to work on NextG.

HTC Incredible S has come out ... but too late now I guess

http://www.htc.com/www/product/incredibles/overview.html

Detailed specifications

CPU speed

1 GHz

I lol'ed. That's detailed?

I have an iPhone 3GS. What I like about the Incredible S already: You can take the battery out and put in a new one.

Edited by metasynaptic