Sign in to follow this  
pb111

Question about OC settings

hi guys, im running a similar set up to another threat starter here, Q6600 with thermalright extreme 120 with a noctua 12cm fan, Gigabyte Ep35 Ds3p, 4GB of Team dark DDR2 800 4-4-4-12, case itself has 6 fans, air cooled system here.

first time overclocker running 333 x 8 atm, left ram and voltage settings all on auto for the MB to figure itself out. getting about 1.41v vcore atm and after about couple minutes of OCCT stress test i get about low 60 degrees on the first core, rest are still under 60, would u guys think i can lower the vcore somewhat so i can say hit 3.0 or even just 2.8 without it being too hot, i read about how the higher the FSB the higher the voltage or something, so what do u guys recommend? also what should i be setting for the ram as i think i only have a setting for ram called the DRAM multiplier and it starts at 2.5 then 3, 3.5 so on... and how come when i run cpuz, it shows my DRAM frequency as 400 a ratio of 2:3 to the FSB, where as after i OC'd it to 2.66 (333 x 8) it's on 4:5, whats the mathematics behind it? should i just leave all those voltage alone or should i be tweaking them each from DRAM to FSB to the cpu as well so i get a lower temp ??!

thanks in advance :D!

edit: what i mean by the "what's the mathematics behind it?" for the FSB:ram frequency is like... my ram is DDR800 so does that mean frequecy is half of whatever it says so in this case 400? or... cause when i left it on auto for the overclock it took the ram to i think 1200 (what it said on the MB bios) and it was a 4:5 ratio with the 333

What are your temps at stock GHz? And whats your ambient temp? I would be inclinded to ramp up the FSB and see what happens, also change the RAM multiplier to 2, so the only variable you're dealing with is the CPU. Also, you say after a couple of minutes it went to low 60s? How long did you test for? It doesn't keep increasing, so low 60's sound pretty safe.

Alternatively, you could install a second fan onto the heatsink, that might provide some piece of mind.

thanks guys for the reply sorry for late respond just came back from dinner, uhm my stock temp should b at max of about low 50s on load, idle probably late 30s to 40s, my ram multiplier could only go 2.5 so is that ok? dont think it can go 2... it goes 2.5 then 3 then 3.5

@nesquick not sure if mine's B3 stepping or not! how do i check D: bought this about march this year.

im currently trying to locate my noctua paste that i seem to misplaced maybe it's time to re-apply, but apart from that, should i just go with 2.5 dram frequency? then muck around with the FSB and kick it up 400? im not sure about 3.2 the last time i tried it was getting quite high 60s lololol. i think i used 400 x 7 or 8 or something the last time. Oh also what about my ram timings? my ram supposedly can go 4-4-4-12 stated on the ram itself, but when i check bios its 5-5-5-18, should i lower it? then leave the "advanced" settings of the dram timings on auto, and voltages all on auto ? or should i be trying to play around with the cpu voltage a bit because im worried about the temps and voltage, on auto it just kicks itself up 1.41 - 1.44 once overclocked :|!

update!

just re-applied some thermal paste, an ok generous dose of it =]! not too thick not too thin. (or is it supposed to be thick lol)

doing OCCT again on my 2.664GHZ still, haven't tried higher yet, just testing the temps with new grease, tested over 25mins and the temps never went over 66 core 1 and 4 hangs around 63 - 65 after a good 15 minutes, core 2, 3 jumps between 59 - 65, mostly under 63, isn't that abit high considering i've only upped the FSB to 333 from 266?

vcore during the test was between 1.39 - 1.41v, is that what's causing the high temp? or does that suggests thats about as far as my computer can take it? can the voltage be tweaked manually so it can run say 1.35 max while still pushing the 2.66 ghz? or should i let my mb to decide on it's own to be safe

Update on top of update! : 2.7 atm, running a weirdly 300 x 9 set up i think, 2.7 lmao, temps roughly the same, idle temps r roughly 38s - 45. also i think my cpu revision is "G0" so yep i guess that means it's not the B3 stepping rightttt?

That's pretty toasty, make sure you've really really screwed down the TRUE.

hey yeh i thought so too, i just re-applied thermal paste last night, the TRUE still slides a tiny bit, lmao does that mean its not solid enough, but it seems pretty damn solid though!, if it's not suppose to move even a tiny bit under the X screwy thingy my bob then i guess i didn't screw it down hard enough but as far as i know the screws have refused to turn anymore

It's always best to set the voltages manually when you are overclocking as motherboards have a tendency to apply a higher voltage than necessary.

A lot of people do a mod to their TRUE where they place a washer or something similar between the mounting bracket and the heatsink to make it a tighter fit.

thanks mate! gonna do that right now!

update: thanks to that guide and everyone else's input im now running at 2997 GHZ =] very stable, that 1.3v suggested in the guide is keeping my temp way under 55, mostly around 45 - 55 on a 30mins OCCT test, pretty happy with the result.

just realised that it wasn't only 2.5 that i can set my dram multiplier to, under 3 and 3.5 it actually has 2.0 and 2.4 hiding -_- and also my cpu is a "B" Stepping shown on CPUZ, correct some of my previous mistakes on the past replies ^^

edit again: what if im greedy and want 3.2 D: ? what's the voltage suggestion and the ram multiplier? considering that im setting FSB to 400 i suppose~

Uh oh, looks like someone's caught the OC Bug =P

The Stepping of your CPU is not shown in the Stepping section of CPUz, but rather under Revision.

Settings are gonna change a little if you want 3.2GHz, which is normally easily doable on 1.3v.

Change your Ram Multiplier to 2.0D and then your FSB upto 400Mhz.

Then change your CPU Multiplier down to 8.

This will give you 8 x 400 = 3200 and 400 x 2 for the RAM = 800MHz.

And that's that =P

woops sorry i haven't keep u guys updated with the result, yes running on 3.2GHZ now :P with 1.3v ^^ thanks guys