Sign in to follow this  
Bundy

Work out headphones.

Ok I'm after a set of low profile (as in not massive and chunky) headphones that i can use while at the gym, the goal would be ones that do a good job of not letting the noise pollution of the gym in while I listen to what i want, my current solution is just cranking the volume up but I feel that not only does that not work to well I get a headache, and it's probably bad for my hearing. Does anyone know if such headphones exist?

Yep. Sennheiser PX-200.

The PX-100 is WAY better, but its an open set. (i own these, as well as revision2 of them)

That being said, at half volume I can hear the cars and what not in the city, but not loud enough to destroy the music.

But the PX200's are closed phones and sit quite nicely on your ears.

As far as ive found, these are the only small closed can phones available that stand up to a REALLY rough beating.

The BOSE TriPort are probably the best overall small headphones ive tried, but they do NOT stand up to ANY form of beating judging by how many are completely rooted at those "ipod trial stations"

That being said, the new model that replaces them:

http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/bose-ae...tml?tag=rvwBody

Dont have any user reviews bitching about failures. Well, no more than other hadphones ive found.

Edited by Master_Scythe

Depending on where I go, I run with a set of CX-300s.

Don't want to run in heavy traffic though!

+1 to this. Good running/exercising 'phones IMHO. Nice and light, good isolation, all that jazz. Have had mine for a couple years now, have not treated them with a lot of care but they still sound and perform great.

Yeah I have the CX-500's currently which are good little phones with some base to them. Depending how much you have to spend though i'd be looking at the Vsonic:R02Pro2's which I've just replaced my CX-500's with and they are amazing just on my phone.

Posted Image

http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=321

Did you want canal phones or closed cups?

I also have a pair of Aiaiai:TMA-1's @ $269

Posted Image

http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=510

Edited by mudg3

I use $15 Sony in ears for excercise, because of the sweat. Whatever you use will either break or stink

I use $15 Sony in ears for excercise, because of the sweat. Whatever you use will either break or stink

Only if they are cheap or you dont look after them. I used my CX500's for 2 years doing street skating ,working out, soccer used them for everything they still work fine but they are falling apart and after what i've put them through I cant complain for $70.

These are earphones, not headphones.

Not what OP asked for.

Still a nice find, but not quite right.

Only if they are cheap or you dont look after them. I used my CX500's for 2 years doing street skating ,working out, soccer used them for everything they still work fine but they are falling apart and after what i've put them through I cant complain for $70.

these too, are earphones.

After wearing earphones vs headphones, you'll never go back to ear.

Slimline headphones are always better, and hurt less if you trip up on the cord in some way while exercising.

Just saying. Sweat is salty and acidic.

You know, considering its for gym. I'll do my usual trick and make assumptions.

Possible damage if you get the cord caught.

Exposed to sweat and stuff.

treated roughly in a gym bag.

Used in a loud environment.

May I continue to sound like a sennheiser fanboi and suggest one of their new sets?

http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=426

HD218's. They isolate quite well, but are slightly open; as such their bass is extreme! But even with that much bass it doesnt distort nor drown out trebel (i was trying these with my music at a demo stand).

Also, they're cheap!

If thats not your definition of cheap, or you dont like 'on ear' headphones, Hit up the old HD202's.

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/portable/mp3-play...hones-sku-3585/

$59, solid reproduction and pretty tough. They wont win any competitions versus a set of audiophile phones, but compared to almost any other consumer level below $100, I'd put my money on these more often than not.

These are earphones, not headphones.

Not what OP asked for.

Still a nice find, but not quite right.

these too, are earphones.

After wearing earphones vs headphones, you'll never go back to ear.

Slimline headphones are always better, and hurt less if you trip up on the cord in some way while exercising.

They are canal phones. Great for sound isolation. Im not sure why you would think that slim line phones are going to be always better.

Regardless if you trip on the coard they are going to come out and hit the ground. Canal phones can withstand alot more punishment that a shitty pair of over rated sennheiser headphones. Even on body buidling forms when people ask this question about what headphones to get canal phones always win.

After putting my entire leg weight on the cord of my PX100's and having them survive, i'd challenge that.

I was jumping off a very high hight, tucked my knees, and tried to land, the cord had crabbed my knee and took my full strength. A-OK

Ive done simmilar less severe with canal phones; one pair survived, one pair didnt, but both time THE FUCKING HURT LIKE HELL being pulled in my ear.

Catch is, OP asked for HEADPHONES, its like asking "which PC?" and recieving "Buy a Mac" responses. Sure they can be used for the same tasks, but not what i asked.

Sennheiser are easily available, cheap, and are IMO the best consumer level brand. Its for gym training, not listening to a thousand piece orchestra in total silence.

half the time I think headphones are a topic of elitism. My mate has some top range cans, cost him several hundred (I THINK they're AKG's?) and a propper headphone amp. IMO my headphones still sounded better. The tech is not as advanced, and s probably less accurate, but its such a perosnal preferance thing, that it cant be chosen for another; hence the real of elitism.

earphones work fine. just make sure the cord is long, or get an extension. I mash my earphones halfway down my ear canals. works wonders for not hearing people when they try to talk to you and adds to the bass :)

I hear they're ok, don't get the CX-200's though, too much noise from the cable.

canalphones + exercise = hearing your own heartbeat. no thanks.

each to their own of course.

I've never heard my heartbeat through them, just the noise of the cable slapping against my chest. Other canal phones I've used don't do the same.

Tell me about it, I've been through three sets of earphones for my ipod this year, because of work. The legit Apple ones seem to get clogged up with sweat and earwax, and you can't pull the cover off the driver. I used some el cheapo $10 in-ears, and they were going well, as no gunk can get to the speaker through the long rubber bit. But the cable was shit, and completely crapped out on me the other day. Cue 4 hours of trying to keep the cable in a position that worked, whilst trying to work myself...

I might try some 'sport' ones, I saw some in a Dick Smith catalog for $20 I think.

best cheap earphones are Panasonic, by a landslide.

for cleaning, isopro. cleans it all out and doesnt damage the speaker.

Catch is, OP asked for HEADPHONES, its like asking "which PC?" and recieving "Buy a Mac" responses. Sure they can be used for the same tasks, but not what i asked....

Is Bundy an alt of yours? 'cos he doesn't seem too troubled by the discussion of all kinds of "miniature ear-speakers"

Thanks guys plenty of stuff for me to read up on.

Re: damage through catching the cord - if your cord gets caught, you're doing it wrong. I'm not saying I never accidentally catch my cord, but when I do I don't blame it on the particular model of 'phones I'm wearing!

As with others, I've found the cable movements are a lot louder than my heartbeat. Can't say I've heard my heartbeat while listening to music on any canalphones!

Also, I'm no acrobat but I know that when I wear *head*phones, they're never anywhere near as secure as *ear*- or *canal*phones when it comes to bending, tilting - anything other than straight up and down running. And even then, they can slip. Granted, I may have a super-small or funny-shaped head. But that's my experience.

Having said all that, as much as I like canalphones for isolation on the bus I'd prefer my ears be a little open while I'm running. But I need the 'phones to be secure. So, one thing I would really like to find is a super-comfortable version of these: Posted Image

Unfortunately, the few I've tried have always ended up rubbing my ears the wrong way. And you can't exactly try 'em out in a store for two hours before buying them.

Heaps of 'phone options out there. Sennheiser is a great brand IMHO - arguably not the best for all purposes, but to my ears they're the best at their various price-points. Even though I love my HD280s, the HD25s are just brilliant.

I recently got myself a pair of these, Logitech UE 300s. I got these specifically to use whilst working out as well, weights and jogging etc. Brilliant sound for the price and they are very comfortable. They come with a bunch of different sized ear peices and a hard case to throw them in so they don't get destroyed in your gym bag.

Not headphones I know, but they don't ever come out of the ear and are a lot more lightweight and less intrusive compared to my experience with headphones whilst exercising.

The pretenders will tell you to buy fancy earphones (which fall out unless they are the ones designed to wrap around the top of your ear) or buy fancy headphones.

TBH both suggestions are a bad idea because if you work out properly your going to sweat alot and ruin anything expensive, best idea is to go get some cheap heaphones from your local HN/DSE/Bing Lee ect like these:

http://www.philips.com.au/c/headphones/sbc...AD1.app102-drp3

they cost like $15 and I have dropped them, squashed them, pulled on them so many times and nothing has broken, first time I used my Sennheiser headphones (large chunky style) I broke them, $145 down the drain.

I also have a 1st gen video Ipod to go with those headphones, again it has had a hell of a beating in the form of being dropped from over 1.5m onto cement ect but it doesn't matter cause its old and if it breaks its no big deal.