robzy

Which SSD should I get instead of a Vertex 2?

You see, it seems like the OCZ Vertex 2 is the best bet, because I can't justify the extra wait and $100 for a Vertex 3, but I'm worried I might be missing something.

So, what is better than an OCZ Vertex 2, and why? :P

Rob.

errr, Vertex 3 because it's faster :)

I know this doesn't help, but look at it this way -

How long will you keep the SSD?

What's the difference between the cost of the 2 v 3?

So, what's the cost difference, per month over the lifetime of the device ?

What's the performance difference you will receive every day of use?

Buy the Vertex 3.

You're welcome :)

To be honest I'd just grab a vertex 2 if you can get it cheap enough. Are you going to need those kind of read/write speeds anyway? What do you currently use your computer mainly for?

Isn't SATA III via SATA II kind of a waste?

That's the way I see it. It's going to be at least 6 months before I upgrade my Mobo, CPU and RAM so I am getting a Vertex 2 to use until then. After that I can get a SATA 3 drive at decreased price and increased size to use after that. My 120GB would then make an awesome Steam drive.

Isn't SATA III via SATA II kind of a waste?

That's the way I see it. It's going to be at least 6 months before I upgrade my Mobo, CPU and RAM so I am getting a Vertex 2 to use until then. After that I can get a SATA 3 drive at decreased price and increased size to use after that. My 120GB would then make an awesome Steam drive.

That makes sense if you want to end up with two ssds, but what if you only want one?

Aren't you better off buying the faster sad now so when you upgrade your mobocracy your sad is good to go?

How long will you keep the SSD?

Likely 'till its dead, in some form or another.

What's the difference between the cost of the 2 v 3?

$100

So, what's the cost difference, per month over the lifetime of the device ?

Annoying logic is annoying :P Because all manner of things would be justifiable if I split its cost over the lifetime of the object :P

What's the performance difference you will receive every day of use?

Nil, for the moment :P

Ignoring all the above though, which are most smart-arse answers, this is how I see my options:

• Buy a 120GB Vertex 3 for ~$330. Keep it for years, over the next upgrade, and never spend any more money.
  • Buy a 120GB Vertex 2 for $230. Keep it for ~12 months until I upgrade, and then buy the equivalent of a Vertex 3 for ~$230, maybe less.

Option 2 would mean that I've spent $460, as opposed to $330. There is no negatives because I've always experienced at the least the speeds I would've had with Option 1, except when I get the faster speeds in ~12 months, I also have the added bonus of a capacity doubling (because I will now have two).

Although having said all of that...

• Buy a 120GB Vertex 3 for $330. Keep it for ~12 months until I upgrade, and then buy the equivalent of a Vertex 2 for ~$130, maybe less.

Rob.

The Vertex 2 or equiv will give you better mileage, it will delay your next GFX/CPU/MOBO upgrade somewhat and if your next system can really needs sata III then use the Vertex II as a steam drive and get a faster ssd if then :p

I find the 'buy the faster one later'option curious since, as you point out, it ends up being the most expensive option in a choice where price is a key factor.

My attitude is bite the bullet now. That assumes of course, that spending the extra cash is a financially viable option!

I think the only solution is to buy 2 x Vertex 3 and put them in a RAID 0 array :D

Edited by Mac Dude

I think the only solution is to buy 2 x Vertex 3 and put them in a RAID 0 array :D

Browsing reddit would be insane!

On another note I'd grab the Vertex 2 as i've seen them for less then $200. Sell the vertex 2 later down the track and buy what ever is out in 3 months for less then what a vertex 3 is now as per your option 2

Edited by mudg3

Genius :P

On another note I'd grab the Vertex 2 as i've seen them for less then $200.

Really? Mind if I ask where?

Can you get one cheaper from the U.S. ATM due to our dollar going gangbusters?

Newegg have them pretty cheap, but I'm guessing shipping would erode the savings. Unless you can suggest somewhere...

Rob.

Have you considered a Vertex 2 240GB? Not too far off the price of a 120GB Vertex 3, but a good amount of room for your OS, Office software, and some games. Many of the smaller drives, don't provide the system speed people are after as they don't buy large enough drives. Having a system that starts up in a few seconds is great, but how many times do you turn your PC on a day vs using various programs (including large game files)?

My Windows + Program Files + Program Files (x86) + Program Data = 30.6GB

Throw in an extra couple of gigs for Users, and it still comes out to only ~35GB.

I don't really game, so 120GB will do me fine.

Rob.

Edited by robzy

On another note I'd grab the Vertex 2 as i've seen them for less then $200

Really? Mind if I ask where?

Pc Case gear had a facebook special had them for $199

Damn, if only I'd known. But yeah, it's somewhat misleading to bring that up, because that's an anomaly. All other prices I've seen are >$200.

I just rang PCCG trying to get that price, with no luck though.

Rob.

Just installed a 120GB vertex 2 and win 7 today. Amazingly responsive compared to before, even with the overhead of Windows 7.

Dooooo it.

You see, it seems like the OCZ Vertex 2 is the best bet, because I can't justify the extra wait and $100 for a Vertex 3, but I'm worried I might be missing something.

So, what is better than an OCZ Vertex 2, and why? :P

Rob.

1 thing to consider- the second generation of Vertex 2's are not the same as the first generation of Vertex 2's. there is a thread about here somewhere. I will have a look. Ok I found the other thread - worth a read -

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=40174

The architecture is slightly different resulting in for one thing less capacity than what is advertised even after allowing for the couple of gigs that is normally reserved. there have also been questions about its reliability and longevity as compared to the other model.

Mine is a first gen.

To be honest I would get the Vertex 3. Far more future proofing. Nothing wrong with running it in SATA II mode. And it means that when you do your upgrade it wil be ready to go. I cant see any point buying the Vertex 2 really now that SATA 3 is out. If the SATA 3 models hadnt been released yet but were pending then I would say stuff it and get a SATA 2 drive. But yes, as SATA 3 is out . . .

Edited by GhostFaceKilla

Thank GFK, well aware actually :) Already got my RMA approved for 32Gbit chips. (25nm chips, still, but afaik there's nothing all too wrong with that)

Funny thing is that my 965P-S3 doesn't actually play nice with the SSD. Meaning that I'm going to need to upgrade now :P Prob should've just gone for an Agility 3.

Rob.

Personally, if you're happy to spend $330 on the drive now, then go for it. But you're still going to see a massive increase over traditional HDD speeds with the vertex 2, you can get a 180gb vertex 2 for around $300, I know what I'd be buying. When it comes down to it, the extra 50% storage space is probably worth more than the extra speed you're going to get anywas, as lets face it, the Vertex 2 is still a fast drive.

Thank GFK, well aware actually :) Already got my RMA approved for 32Gbit chips. (25nm chips, still, but afaik there's nothing all too wrong with that)

Funny thing is that my 965P-S3 doesn't actually play nice with the SSD. Meaning that I'm going to need to upgrade now :P Prob should've just gone for an Agility 3.

Rob.

Whats going on mate?

Whats going on mate?

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=40174

At some point OCZ stopped making the Vertex 2 with 32Gbit chips, and instead started using 64Gbit chips. My, perhaps incorrect, understanding is that this meant they only used half the chips and therefore performance suffered. (And free space too apparently)

But after customer outcry, they offered to replace 64Gbit drives for free. (Less the cost of shipping the 64Gbit drive to them)

I was hoping that because the one I ordered from PCCG didn't have an "E" in the model number it would be a 32Gbit drive, but no such luck. But I knew there was a possibility of that happening.

Rob.

Ahh fair enough. I totally forgot about that happening.