Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
morris

Magnetic Vision

I'm pretty sure there was an atomic article on this a couple years back.

I would be interested to read it.

Dan Rutter wrote an article on magnetic fields

It would be before issue 60

Stelarc, see if you can find pictures of him 'hanging around'

Edited by TheManFromPOST

Dan Rutter wrote an article on magnetic fields

It would be before issue 60

Stelarc, see if you can find pictures of him 'hanging around'

You mean suspension? I've seen plenty of videos and photos of him and others.

Will see if I can find the article.

If he mentions magnet implants then it might be the article i recall, I just remember reading something about magnetic implants in atomic, a joke about using it to wipe hdd's and something about the silicone coating slowly breaking down over time.

The only reason i remember it is because prior to that article i never knew such a thing existed or was done.

Edited by Bundy

I'm guessing this is the article

http://www.dansdata.com/magnets.htm

It briefly mentions people posting on BMEzine about the mods.

As mentioned in the Magnetic FAQ I posted in the OP, the earlier implants were prone to rupturing. The newer ones (like the one I have) are encased in a much firmer silicon. No one has had one rupture yet.

Something to try:

get a low voltage LED and some thin copper wire. Make a coil (spring shape) by wrapping the wire around a thin nail, leaving a little straight wire at each end.

Remove the nail, solder each end to the LED.

Now wave your finger over the coil - hey presto, self-powered personal lamp!

That's crazy shit. You have bigger (and more metallic) balls than I.

Something to try:

get a low voltage LED and some thin copper wire. Make a coil (spring shape) by wrapping the wire around a thin nail, leaving a little straight wire at each end.

Also awesome.

Something to try:

alternately, wrap a few coils around your finger, run a low frequency AC current through the coil, personal vibrator.

alternate use 2, wrap the coil around your finger, connect the coil to an audio output, stick finger in ear, personal earpiece

These little projects sound cool, but I don't think the magnet is strong enough for any of them. I can't lift more than 3 staples at the moment.

But it is getting more sensitive as it's healing. I could feel my phone for the first time. That thing was going crazy.

I started reading your post, and thought "this is the stupidest thing ever."

I finished reading your post, and thought "this is the coolest thing I've heard about in a long time."

What most interests me is the idea of installing one in each fingertip and seeing if you could feel the shape of a magnetic field much like it's possible to use your fingers to build up the shape of an object with your eyes closed. I wonder how well the brain would adapt to interpret the sensations and reconstruct them in a meaningful way.

I've got a mohawk now, finally, and I've always had a couple of very standard piercings, but I might skip on the magnets!

You da man, bro!

I've got a mohawk now, finally

How are people going to tell the difference between us now? :P

At the moment it's just a general buzz.

I'm wondering if over time I'll learn to tell the difference.

I've only had it for 2 months, so it's still early days.

The most useful link I posted was the blog. He mentioned the practical side of the mod when he was welding.

I have read about someone that was in a meeting for a product. The product demo went well, but he realised it was impractical because the demo was using way more power than normal devices. He could tell because he could feel the powercable and knew it was more than normal.

I'm the same as Fuzz...when I started reading I thought 'crazy', but actually, the extra sensory inputs that you are getting from it fascinate me. I wonder if you could develop the sensitivity and experience enough to build a repertoire of recognisable sensations so you can identify different types of magnetic fields, maybe even electro-magnetic radiation etc.

Meh, decided to put in my 2c worth after all.

Some folk are sensitive to magnetic fields without implanted dohickies. Some have similar skull structures to homing pigeons. I can't sense the earth's magnetic field (some rock formations close by yes though) and have absolutely no sense of direction. ;{)

There is a kid in the last day or so news that supposedly attracts metal objects. I've known folks that could put out electrical interference so that seems like a real possibility to me, wouldn't expect anyone to show up at the level of marvel's "Magneto"TM anytime soon though.

This is seriously cool stuff man. I want one. But now that you've done got one I'd just feel lame. Dagnabbit! Have you experienced any problems with it? Are you afraid of going near very large and powerful magnets for fear of losing your new mod?

This is seriously cool stuff man. I want one. But now that you've done got one I'd just feel lame. Dagnabbit! Have you experienced any problems with it? Are you afraid of going near very large and powerful magnets for fear of losing your new mod?

No problems so far. It used to hurt while it was healing, but it's fine now.

I admit that I'm cautious around strong magnets eg the ones at work, or the ones I keep on my fridge.

I mentioned earlier that I couldn't get an MRI unless I had it shielded.

Oookay. What's going on today ? Had a paragraph dissappear from my previous entry above.

Basically when I was younger I had double blind tests and could tell hidden magetised metal slugs from nomagnetic ones and wether power was flowing through wireing or not even behind wall material. Could tell the whereabouts of old fractures without seeing or touching the limb and a few other oddities. This has decreased in reliability with bouts of severe ill health and age. I have a foggy idea that a fair few xrays and a couple of mri's may have scrambled it as well.

Elfarch that's fantastic. I worked with someone that can't wear a watch and constantly kills mobile phones within a month if she carries it with her, but I haven't heard about someone feeling what I feel naturally.

A few people that have the magnet implanted can tell which wires are active. I haven't tried it yet though.

And I'm not expecting to get Magneto levels of powers :P

As for the magnetic kid (Cummings posted it on my facebook page a few days ago), he's not the first. Search for "Magnet man" and you'll see a few people that claim the same thing as the kid.

Surely you would get the same sensation wearing a magnetic bracelet.

I must be getting old because it all seems a little silly to me.

Surely you would get the same sensation wearing a magnetic bracelet.

I must be getting old because it all seems a little silly to me.

I don't think it will. I might have to get one and see the difference.

You can keep your mitts away from my hard drives thank-you very much. :-P

The hard drives will affect me long before I can do anything to them.

I can feel the hard drive in my netbook as I type this :)

I remember the first time I shut the lid and felt the hard drive spin down. That made me excited.

Yes those folk that can't wear a watch are supposed to make good dowsers with training. I've always thought dowsing came from an ability to detect weak electromagnetic fields from water movement and interaction with minerals.

I've met one guy with a severe field that fluctuated and when it was hitting peak he couldn't go near electric typewritters or comps etc unless you wanted them dead. :{) Could really stuff up T.V. reception and monitors as well.

Oh yep I had heard of other "magnetic" people previously.