Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
orcone

Want a $25 linux running PC that fits in your pocket?

I disagree.

Similar ARM based systems you can buy, as opposed to designing and soldering, and compiling, etc for yourself, are around $100, I think.

The reasons those cost $100 is because they tend to be low volume, without a view to cost savings, and take a profit margin. (Iirc this guy's $25 was the production costs, he wasn't going to take any profit on them.)

Give me their designs and I'll trim some fat. Then I too will be able to say "At sufficient production numbers I could produce these for $25."

In my view there is, simply, nothing technologically new nor unique about the device in the OP. It's an ARM chip with the bare minimum of components added.

(Not to say the guy doesn't deserve credit, though, if not just from a marketing POV)

Rob.

Edited by robzy

I disagree.

Similar ARM based systems you can buy, as opposed to designing and soldering, and compiling, etc for yourself, are around $100, I think.

The reasons those cost $100 is because they tend to be low volume, without a view to cost savings, and take a profit margin. (Iirc this guy's $25 was the production costs, he wasn't going to take any profit on them.)

Give me their designs and I'll trim some fat. Then I too will be able to say "At sufficient production numbers I could produce these for $25."

In my view there is, simply, nothing technologically new nor unique about the device in the OP. It's an ARM chip with the bare minimum of components added.

(Not to say the guy doesn't deserve credit, though, if not just from a marketing POV)

Rob.

Ah okay, I get you.

So basically, it's the same as every other ARM device in that range?

$100 just seems a bit steep, without even ethernet, that's all.

i'd like one of them. probably better than the Laptop im getting for yr 9......

As a former TSO at a government school, I can say without a doubt that they are much better than what you'll be given for school.

When you do get your laptop, send me a PM and I'll show you how to get around the filters :)

As a former TSO at a government school, I can say without a doubt that they are much better than what you'll be given for school.

When you do get your laptop, send me a PM and I'll show you how to get around the filters :)

ahah im in yr 8 around the end of the year. cant wait........ :( apparently we are getting and acer travel something............

ehhhh

no grunt at all.

anything Elite-like would be in direct competition with EvE.

Just on a side-note, eve and elite are, other then both being set in space, entirely different games.

I want to get my hands on this pi as well. I don't know what I'd use it for, but for $25, there are tonnes of cost-efficient uses I can think of.

An email server, for example, maybe voip (mumble/TS) as well. It would consume bugger all power, you could leave it just dangling out the back of your monitor.

Edited by Sir_Substance

For people interested in the size comparison, that 20p coin is about the same size as a 10cent coin (australian)

This would be awesome for my own home database. As mentioned above a little more ram could be cool, but i could install debian on it and stick it to the wall lol.

For people interested in the size comparison, that 20p coin is about the same size as a 10cent coin (australian)

It's the size of a credit card. :)

http://www.raspberrypi.org/wp-content/uplo...22775601548.jpg

http://www.raspberrypi.org/wp-content/uplo...re-001-copy.jpg

And just to add more information to what Robzy's posted, these ARM chips offer some pretty incredible 3D and multi-media power for their price point, all integrated onto the ARM chip. Unfortunately that means they won't be totally open source, but another side-effect of their interesting boot architecture, is that you can't brick them. The chips are from broadcom.

Just on a side-note, eve and elite are, other then both being set in space, entirely different games.

For sure, as originally concieved. But do you really think any hypothetical Elite 4 could get away with not being/having multiplayer - ideally massively multiplayer?

Frontier already had a persistent galaxy with factions, economies and roles to play. From what I've seen, EVE strikes me as very similar to Frontier except that it has a skill tree and the factions and economies are run by players (instead of generated by the computer).

...Anyone realise most olds phones can be used for the same thing but through a usb port......with the ability to increase memory...goes and double check to see if you could put Ubuntu on a phone...

Maybe its only available on touch smartphones...hmm

Would bring a new use to all those old mobile phones people have.

Edited by thesingularity

For sure, as originally concieved. But do you really think any hypothetical Elite 4 could get away with not being/having multiplayer - ideally massively multiplayer?

Frontier already had a persistent galaxy with factions, economies and roles to play. From what I've seen, EVE strikes me as very similar to Frontier except that it has a skill tree and the factions and economies are run by players (instead of generated by the computer).

Elite-like games are still not in competition with eve. Black prophecy, maybe.

The combat mechanics difference between eve and elite is as big as the difference between neverwinter nights and skyrim. Both RPG's, Both set in medieval times, yet fundamentally different games.

...Anyone realise most olds phones can be used for the same thing but through a usb port......with the ability to increase memory...goes and double check to see if you could put Ubuntu on a phone...

I'm not sure what you mean.

Most old phones can play quake 3?

Most old phones can run 1080p movies?

Most old phones allow you to boot your linux distro of choice with substantial openGL performance?

Could you link something up pls?

Elite-like games are still not in competition with eve. Black prophecy, maybe.

The combat mechanics difference between eve and elite is as big as the difference between neverwinter nights and skyrim. Both RPG's, Both set in medieval times, yet fundamentally different games.

We may have to agree to disagree on this one. I don't think that the particulars of a combat system determines the essential character of a game, unless it's actually a fighting game.

EVE and Elite/Frontier are completely open-ended space adventures with no specific goal except your own personal ambitions. I can't speak for other "Elite-like" games as I've not bothered with any recent ones; NWN and Elder Scrolls are massive DnD campaigns in a world of high fantasy.

:--]

I'm not sure what you mean.

Most old phones can play quake 3?

Most old phones can run 1080p movies?

Most old phones allow you to boot your linux distro of choice with substantial openGL performance?

Could you link something up pls?

I never said it could play Quake or 1080p movies considering most phones don't even support a resolution high enough to do that...

http://pocketnow.com/android/run-ubuntu-on-your-android

Thats a touch phone one for starters.

Oh and a site on a dude on the expedition of trying to install Linux on his phone.

http://www.surjpatel.com/?q=node/9

Old Android Phones? They still cost more than $25.

Plus not really that useful for what they want to do.

Processing power is getting ridiculously physically small D:

I recently had to upgrade my desktop to feel ~on par~ with high end laptops. Actually, some even feature 6990m xfire --> gg my desktop D:

Well, the first Raspberry Pi boards have gone on sale. As the project guys said earlier, they're selling them on eBay to raise funds for development costs. As of right now the latest bid is £1,900.00. A nice tidy profit for the project, but a hella big step for the early adopter!

Very interesting. I have been thinking of trying to automate my home brewery (arduino), but, at the same price, this looks interesting - the add on board especially. Will be interesting to see how this goes.

These guys continue to amaze me. The beta boards had a (very) small flaw in them that needed fixing, so what did they do? Scraped a 1x1mm portion of the board and dropped a minute bit of solder in place. On every board. All by hand.

That's dedication.

Oh, BTW, the auctions have now gone up to nearly £7000. Seems a lot of folks are getting behind this with some serious money. Needless to say, the project people are pretty chuffed.

It's at its embryonic stage but give it time this thing could go a distance being low-cost and portable. For people who have been able to play around powerful machines this thing's a joke. But for those low-income people, especially students, this piece of craftsmanship maybe a big help.

It's at its embryonic stage but give it time this thing could go a distance being low-cost and portable. For people who have been able to play around powerful machines this thing's a joke. But for those low-income people, especially students, this piece of craftsmanship maybe a big help.

It's not a joke for machines

With the Gert board for GPIO, this could well see a lot more powerful homebrew setups.