Reb1rth.

L.A. Noire

Posted Image

With this game approacing release on May 20th, I thought I'd make a proper thread for it.

L.A. Noire - I'm sure we all know of its existence, and what it is, but for those that don't...

L.A. Noire is an upcoming video game developed by Team Bondi in conjunction with Rockstar Games, and published by Rockstar Games.

As the title suggests, the game draws heavily from both plot and aesthetic elements of film noir - stylistic films from the 1940s and 1950s that shared similar visual styles and themes including crime, sex and moral ambiguity and were often shot in black and white with harsh, low-key lighting. The game uses a distinctive colouring-style in homage to the visual style of film noir. The post-war setting is the backdrop for plot elements that reference the detective films of the '40s, such as corruption and drugs, with a jazz soundtrack.

The game takes place in post-war 1940s Los Angeles, a city of glamour, fame and wealth, but also where crime, vice corruption is rife. The player assumes the role of Cole Phelps, an LAPD officer who rises through the ranks of the department. He has joined the police force to "right the wrongs" he committed during the Second World War. He starts off as a patrol-man, then a traffic detective, homicide, vice, and finally arson investigator. Each rank gives the player a partner who will help Phelps in his investigations, fights, and arrests. The game blends investigative elements such as mystery, and crime solving, with fast paced action sequences from chases on foot to car, as well as gun-play. As well as the storyline missions, the player can choose to work on optional side-investigations following a call from dispatch. The player can also travel on foot, as well as in different vehicles.

Initially announced as a PlayStation 3 exclusive, the game was later reported to also be scheduled for release on the Xbox 360.

The PS3 is the lead development platform, ovbiously, and will use a single blu-ray disc, while the 360 version will span across three DVDs.

I have found this information regarding the disc-swapping, for those concerned 360 owners;

“L.A. Noire was always going to be a massive game, from the size and detail of the world to the length of the cases, and of course, the sheer amount of MotionScan data required for the faces of over 400 actors in-game,” said Rockstar’s Jeronimo Barrera “To tell the story and make the game we wanted to make, we knew that it was going to take an entire single layer Blu-ray disc and three Xbox discs.”

If you should be concerned that the disc-swapping will be an issue though, don’t worry – Barrera stated that “Since the game is built around the concept of progressing through individual cases from desk to desk, players on Xbox will find disc-swapping is hassle-free. In fact, players will only need to swap discs twice at natural breaks between cases without interrupting the flow of the game.”

Since I got my PC my xbox has been gathering dust but I must say I am incredibly intrigued about this game due to the theme and setting and could pull me back to it...as Ive always had a particular interest in this period....

I first saw this game nearly a year ago - thanks for reminding me... It is on my "possible purchase" list.

As usual though - I will wait until it has been out about a month and read player reviews.

It definitely looks the goods at the moment, but as always, we'll have to wait 'til we play it to see for ourselves.

I can't see Rockstar stamping their name on something that is mediocre, though.

Hmm, 3 Dual layer DVDs or a single layer Blu-Ray eh, I think my choice of which console to get it on is made up.

Sounds like a great game to have on pc. Maybe one day when they finish screwing the console market for every last cent.

Am I the only one not put off by the whole disc swapping thing?

I mean I dont own a PS3 (but have access to the Roomies but still feel it wouldn't be a factor in deciding on what system to buy it for. Exclusive content may be however..

That said, would go for it on PC above all else given thats how I roll these days...

Edited by TheMojorising

They've pretty much stated that disc swapping will really only be needed twice in a play-through, staging the swaps between episodes, so as to not interrupt the gameflow.

I seriously can not wait for this game.

The disc swapping wont be a huge deal, if you only ahve a 360 it will be fine.

If you had both consoles tho you should get it on the PS3 as it was the lead platform and usually games are optimised better for the lead platforms (goin by history).

On top of that there is a bonus mission that comes with the PS3 version the 360 misses out on.

Maybe one day when they finish screwing the console market for every last cent.

You make it sound like a bad thing. I would hope Team Bondi allows players to install the 360 version and then play the game with one disc, an opportunity thoughtlessly missed on ME2. From the looks of it TB are using the RAGE renderer? Historically that's been better on the X360 so my mind hasn't be made up.

Maybe one day when they finish screwing the console market for every last cent.

You make it sound like a bad thing. I would hope Team Bondi allows players to install the 360 version and then play the game with one disc, an opportunity thoughtlessly missed on ME2. From the looks of it TB are using the RAGE renderer? Historically that's been better on the X360 so my mind hasn't be made up.

Thats not a very good comparison, for the most part Rockstar for GTA games used RAGE and Euphoria to create their game environment Team Bondi are using in house engine created by themselves for this game which was made back when LA Noire was intended on being a PS3 exclusive. One of the reasons was because unlike any previous game LA Noire had the unique requirement of needing to be able to track and map accurate facial expressions of actors to create the 'movie like' experience they plan on giving us. How it performs on both consoles is yet to be seen but PS3 was very much the lead and originally intended exclusive platform.

"Team Bondi’s L.A. Noire is one of the most ambitious Rockstar titles to date, featuring a massive open world and a groundbreaking animation system. It’s also one of the first Rockstar titles in some time that doesn’t use Rockstar’s RAGE engine, rather Team Bondi’s proprietary engine."

http://www.rockstarbase.com/2010/02/15/new...s-not-use-rage/

Edited by Bundy

"Team Bondi’s L.A. Noire is one of the most ambitious Rockstar titles to date, featuring a massive open world and a groundbreaking animation system. It’s also one of the first Rockstar titles in some time that doesn’t use Rockstar’s RAGE engine, rather Team Bondi’s proprietary engine."

http://www.rockstarbase.com/2010/02/15/new...s-not-use-rage/

I didn't have any references as to what renderer they were using, my assumption was based on the gameplay footage looking eerily similar to GTA because of its dry pastel look. Despite that RAGE is a multitude of developer tools, I'm only hypothising but I assume some of the engineers at Team Bondi have been influenced by the rendering solutions used in Rage. Edited by King_TriTAN

Yeah, I'll wait for the PC version (sob), then I'll post about how amazing it is, and how the PC version shits all over the console versions, and all the console gamers can be polite and not mention that they only finished it 18 months ago... :P

Do EB let you pricematch even if there's pre-order bonues involved?

Aside from their standard pre-order bonuses, I have a voucher from the latest Game Informer magazine that grants me a free L.A. Noire t-shirt if I pre-order at EB with it.

Not that I'd wear an L.A. Noire shirt. But still curious.

$108 is too much... JB Hifi's price is $20 less.

Edited by Reb1rth.

Yeah, I'll wait for the PC version (sob), then I'll post about how amazing it is, and how the PC version shits all over the console versions, and all the console gamers can be polite and not mention that they only finished it 18 months ago... :P

It's Rockstar.

They've forgotten about us.

That's why I'm going to have to buy a used xbox... Sigh...

Buying a used xbox? I say fuck em. They can go to hell. I have plenty of games to play on PC at the moment. If they want my money the fucks can come to me.

It's Rockstar.

There are enough console exclusives to justify the purchase. Besides LA Noire looks potentially revolutionary, missing out on it would suck. Edited by King_TriTAN

It's Rockstar.

Ya know, they ported nearly every single one of their console games ever made to PC.

They stopped after GTA4. Wanna know why I think that is? They ported GTA4 over and all the idiots with mid range PCs and dual cores couldnt run it maxxed out at a decent clip, so cried about it and said Rockstar sucked.

The result? No RDR PC port and most likely no LA Noire PC port.

Well I don't necessarily believe whining was the cause, I assume there was a disparative difference in software sales on the PC, from what I gather GTA IV sold 16 million collectively on the PS3 and X360.

It's Rockstar.

Ya know, they ported nearly every single one of their console games ever made to PC.

They stopped after GTA4. Wanna know why I think that is? They ported GTA4 over and all the idiots with mid range PCs and dual cores couldnt run it maxxed out at a decent clip, so cried about it and said Rockstar sucked.

The result? No RDR PC port and most likely no LA Noire PC port.

That excuse doesn't work anymore, let's hope Rockstar get their act together.

I really want to play Red Dead, and maybe Noire, but if they're not on PC, there's no point.