Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Reb1rth.

L.A. Noire

Yeah, I'll wait for the PC version (sob), then I'll post about how amazing it is, and how the PC version shits all over the console versions, and all the console gamers can be polite and not mention that they only finished it 18 months ago... :P

It's Rockstar.

They've forgotten about us.

That's why I'm going to have to buy a used xbox... Sigh...

Ya know, they ported nearly every single one of their console games ever made to PC.

They stopped after GTA4. Wanna know why I think that is? They ported GTA4 over and all the idiots with mid range PCs and dual cores couldnt run it maxxed out at a decent clip, so cried about it and said Rockstar sucked.

The result? No RDR PC port and most likely no LA Noire PC port.

That excuse doesn't work anymore, let's hope Rockstar get their act together.

I really want to play Red Dead, and maybe Noire, but if they're not on PC, there's no point.

No point playing 1 incredibly awesome game and 1 likely to be incredibly awesome cause its not on PC?

Sorry but the reasoning behind that is just plain silly.

Edited by TheMojorising

+1, I'm a PC player first and foremost... but skipping decent games worth your time 'cause they're on a console?

That's just silly. There's a number of awesome games that aren't on PC.

I have an article to inform, and hopefully rectify such a situation, though: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide

They're not 1st person games so I can put up with that no problem.

Just take a little getting used to.

If they were FPS's then I probably wouldn't bother at all.

+1, I'm a PC player first and foremost... but skipping decent games worth your time 'cause they're on a console?

That's just silly. There's a number of awesome games that aren't on PC.

I have an article to inform, and hopefully rectify such a situation, though: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide

While I lolled, I do believe suggesting suicide either directly or indirectly to another poster is on of the general no nos around here.

but then I've been wrong before

I'm looking forward to this. Dunno that i'll get it at release, since I have soooo many other games to finish and so little gaming time. But I wil definitely get a copy for my PS3.

As to the whole PC vs console thing... Yeah, its a bit of a bitch that they don't release their games on PC til 12-18 months later.

But honestly, I used to game exclusively for many, many years on PC -- but working in IT and sitting at a desk most of the day, usually, (as well as getting a bit older) means I'm much happier going home and sitting on the couch than sitting at a desk to game.

Each to their own, but that's what is working for me.... :)

But certainly some games (I'm looking at you FPS and RTS) I'll always buy on PC.

-A-

[Edit: ...]

While I lolled, I do believe suggesting suicide either directly or indirectly to another poster is on of the general no nos around here.

Yeah, that's a bit of a daft thing to say; even jokingly. Edit that out, man. Edited by Ashlar

First review I've found.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/games...ire-game-review

LA Noire – review

5 out of 5

Steve Boxer

Friday 13 May 2011 00.06 BST

Ever since it first worked out how to assemble pixels so that they resembled something more recognisable than aliens, the games industry has dreamed of creating one thing above all else – a game that is indistinguishable from a film, except that you can control the lead character. With LA Noire, it just might, finally, have found the embodiment of that particular holy grail.

Buy it from amazon.co.uk

From start to finish, LA Noire feels like a film – LA Confidential, in fact, along with any similarly hard-boiled example of film noir adapted from stories by the likes of Chandler and Hammett. Set in a gloriously convincing depiction of Los Angeles in 1947 (which is much more attractive than today's LA), it casts you as Cole Phelps, returning war hero turned cop.

Instantly, you plunge deeply and satisfyingly into his working life, solving a vast number of cases as he becomes the LAPD's poster-boy, first in Homicide, then in Vice. And your immersion in Phelps' affairs ratchets up even further when he is hung out to dry by his dubious superiors.

There have been plenty of games with cinematic pretensions in the past, so what is it that enables LA Noire to make a transcendental leap? Inevitably, technology is involved: the new MotionScan system used to capture actors' performances simply produces more convincing facial animation than we have ever seen in a game.

LA Noire

Couple that with the obsessive attention to detail for which Rockstar's existing games such as Grand Theft Auto and Red Dead Redemption are famed, and the end result rings true to a greater extent than anything that has gone before. The familiar need to suspend disbelief has been all but eliminated.

Real-life gameplay

LA Noire's gameplay capitalises cleverly on this breakthrough technology. Essentially, it sees you playing through Phelps's working life, doing what you imagine a real-life LAPD detective would have done in 1947. Thus, you have to drive to crime scenes, root around for clues and examine bodies, then follow the resulting leads.

It's when you question suspects and witnesses that things get interesting. You have to analyse facial responses and bodily tics like a poker-player seeking tells, then choose one of three tones to adopt for each question. These are marked Truth, Doubt and Lying, but Sympathetic, Dubious and Accusatory would perhaps be more rigorous.

If you accuse a suspect of lying, you must back that up by producing evidence (all accessed, along with along with your records of each case and details of suspects from your standard cop's notebook). If you don't adopt the correct tone, the character you're quizzing will, at the very least, take longer to give you the crucial information you seek.

LA Noire

As you rise through the ranks, you earn Intuition points, which can be cashed in to eliminate one wrong question-tone (or reveal the location of all the clues at a location). Luckily, LA Noire is pretty forgiving, so if your body language-assessment skills aren't up to CSI standards, you should still get the right result in the end, although you risk a chewing-out from your boss for shoddy police work, which is genuinely mortifying.

Beautiful pacing

The game's pacing and narrative arc impress as much as its believability. The bog-standard detective work, fun though it is, is punctuated judiciously by action sequences including car chases, pursuing suspects on foot, climbing around inaccessible areas, puzzle-solving and, of course, shoot-outs.

Between cases, you either get a flashback to Phelps' war experiences in Japan or a glimpse into his off-duty life; both those elements end up feeding back into the overarching storyline. The oeuvres of Shelley and even anarchist author Piotr Kropotkin are fed into the mix. Newspapers that you find when hunting for clues trigger yet another backstory (this time involving ongoing LA skullduggery), which yet again intersects with the main storyline in the game's later stages.

A fascinating snapshot of an America struggling to readjust to everyday life in the aftermath of the second world war emerges, reinforced by the attitudes of your fellow cops (many of whom would be ejected from the Sweeney for political incorrectness, although Phelps's keen sense of morality keeps them sufficiently in check to appease modern moral arbiters seeking outrage).

LA Noire

Since you're at the centre of proceedings, participating in and dictating the action, the overall effect is powerfully immersive. Cleverly, Rockstar has ensured that LA Noire is a thoroughly inclusive game, too. The control system is sufficiently simplified that even the most determined non-gamers shouldn't find it intimidating.

Indeed, the more hardcore gamers may carp that it isn't sufficiently action-packed or precise. The one criticism that could be levelled at the game is that the shooting system has been over-simplified so that it feels clunky compared to thelikes of Grand Theft Auto.

Depth and meatiness

LA Noire largely does away with the free-roaming that enhanced the appeal of Grand Theft Auto and Red Dead Redemption. As you drive around, you do occasionally hear of street crimes to which you can respond, and there are hidden vehicles and LA landmarks that completists can collect and visit, but the overwhelming focus is on the main story.

So it's a good job that, bucking the modern trend for short single-player games, LA Noire is satisfyingly meaty. Rockstar reckons it's roughly equivalent in length to two seasons of a TV series, a claim that feels roughly accurate.

Perhaps, then, it would be more accurate to argue that LA Noire more closely approximates a television show than a film – it beats any film hands down in terms of the sheer amount of entertainment on offer, which of course is an advantage games have always had over films.

LA Noire

It has all the period charm of Boardwalk Empire or Mad Men – indeed, the role of Phelps is played by Mad Men's Aaron Staton and other digitised Mad Men actors crop up sporadically – and it seasons the gameplay with a healthy dash of CSI.

In the past, games with such overwhelming ambitions have floundered on odd, usually peripheral, aspects that jarred – such as unrealistic animation (and especially facial animation), clunky dialogue, poor virtual camerawork or facile characterisation. LA Noire is the first game to lack any such element which naggingly reminds you that you're playing a video game, rather than strolling through a film or TV series.

That's why it marks a breakthrough for games as a whole – and we can't wait to see what Rockstar does with LA Noire's technology in its other blockbuster franchises.

That's a lot of mature content, I don't know a AAA game with nudity and drug use. On another note, I'm so tired of people squabbling over what they play on, schoolkids do that, apparently adults do to when they play video games. But if we have actual children on the board, I apologies.

Edited by King_TriTAN

That's a lot of mature content, I don't know a AAA game with nudity and drug use. On another note, I'm so tired of people squabbling over what they play on, schoolkids do that, apparently adults do to when they play video games. But if we have actual children on the board, I apologies.

Theres a difference between squabbling for the sake of squabbling and choosing 1 platform over another for certain reasons.

My point is that I'm not about to shell out for a console to play one or two games that I dont get on pc. They can put all the titles in the world on console... Wait... In that case I might get one console and stick to it... But if its only a couple then pcs aren't that hard up for good titles. Hell id happily replay most games I have bought. Haven't played through planescape for a while.

[Edit: ...]

Yeah, that's a bit of a daft thing to say; even jokingly. Edit that out, man.

Who you referring to there?

Yeah, that's a bit of a daft thing to say; even jokingly. Edit that out, man.

No it's not. And no.

People should just be less sensitive, and more awesome... like me.

Also, thanks for the review Hector. Interesting read.

Hopefully some more reviews start rolling in soon, seeing as it's a week away from release.

I'd like to see what other sites have to say about it.

Well some of us can spell like (underachieving) school kids. So there.

Its $105 for brink and the strat guide now.

Inform us on the relevance of Brink in an L.A. Noire thread? :)

Theres a difference between squabbling for the sake of squabbling and choosing 1 platform over another for certain reasons.

People are constantly justify their purchasing decisions on these boards, no one is interested in what you buy but there is a needy attitude that craves validation that is constantly raising it's head.

But if its only a couple then pcs aren't that hard up for good titles. Hell id happily replay most games I have bought. Haven't played through planescape for a while.

You don't need to explain your thought processes, isn't it odd you come into the LA Noire thread telling everyone that you're too busy with PC games? I'm in the LA Noire thread and I'm reading about you wanting to play Planescape because you don't want to play LA Noire. Does anyone care?

Well some of us can spell like (underachieving) school kids. So there.

I'm trying to address the needy behaviour on these forums and your nitpicking doesn't contribute to the discussion.

On a lighter note, I didn't realise how close the LA Noire release date was. Apparently 4 games on the same platform is worth about a 80-90 trade in at GAME, I've never bought a game on release but if the reviews hold up LA Noire will be the first.

Edited by King_TriTAN

People are constantly justify their purchasing decisions on these boards, no one is interested in what you buy but there is a needy attitude that craves validation that is constantly raising it's head.

Alot of the time you seem to speak for yourself only, I see no problem in people talking about which system they will get a game on.

You get defensive when people say they prefer the PS3 over the 360, how is that different to anyone else?

I have the luxury of having a high end gaming PC and both a PS3 and 360, I always go where the good framerates and graphics are. I don't give a flying fuck if no one cares why I buy games. If you want it to be that way, you'll find this place very lonely.

May 20th - next week release right? If it proves to be as revolutionary as claimed I think it may be worth getting.

However will wait for the initial response

Alot of the time you seem to speak for yourself only, I see no problem in people talking about which system they will get a game on.

You get defensive when people say they prefer the PS3 over the 360, how is that different to anyone else?

I have the luxury of having a high end gaming PC and both a PS3 and 360, I always go where the good framerates and graphics are. I don't give a flying fuck if no one cares why I buy games. If you want it to be that way, you'll find this place very lonely.

You misunderstand me if you think I'm defensive about people preferring one platform over another, right now I'm lamenting over individuals feeling the need to explain they're preferences, the inner turmoil people have over video games. Granted the discussion of LA Noire not being on the PC is going to come up but the way it's been discussed has devolved once again into whinging and defensiveness.

I'd like to quote you some examples.

Sounds like a great game to have on pc. Maybe one day when they finish screwing the console market for every last cent.

Buying a used xbox? I say fuck em. They can go to hell. I have plenty of games to play on PC at the moment. If they want my money the fucks can come to me.

Hell id happily replay most games I have bought. Haven't played through planescape for a while.

I want to talk to a bunch of adults about video games, I don't want to wade through emotional outpourings of grief everytime a discussion about platforms come up, clearly like you I don't care how people play their video games but the childish dialogue that ensues is not something I'd expect from an Australian forum. And what is this about a lonely place? We're talking about video games for crying out aloud.

I'm trying to contribute in par with you Tritan.

Sorry Bushi I miss interpreted you, I thought you were calling me a school kid because of a spelling mistake. Edited by King_TriTAN

By lonely place, I meant you'd only have yourself to talk to, but I'm guessing you knew that and just wanted to joke about gamers being lonely.

I can understand your point of view mate, but the simple fact is, its a forum for discussion, this is a thread about LA Noire, not LA Noire on PS3/360 and not PC, not LA Noire being the best thing since sliced bread. Just a thread about LA Noire, you take out discussion that isn't specifically about LA Noire (And I mean this with any thread too) then you'll find that the conversation gets tiresome and boring.

I supposed we could go start a thread to bag out consoles and the developers that cater for them, but what good would that do? So far this thread has been mostly about people looking forward to the game, so why can't someone express their annoyance at this not seeing a release on their platform of choice?

By lonely place, I meant you'd only have yourself to talk to, but I'm guessing you knew that and just wanted to joke about gamers being lonely.

I can understand your point of view mate, but the simple fact is, its a forum for discussion, this is a thread about LA Noire, not LA Noire on PS3/360 and not PC, not LA Noire being the best thing since sliced bread. Just a thread about LA Noire, you take out discussion that isn't specifically about LA Noire (And I mean this with any thread too) then you'll find that the conversation gets tiresome and boring.

I supposed we could go start a thread to bag out consoles and the developers that cater for them, but what good would that do? So far this thread has been mostly about people looking forward to the game, so why can't someone express their annoyance at this not seeing a release on their platform of choice?

Fair enough and I want to be clear I'm not trying to stop people from discussing what platforms LA Noire is and isn't on, what aggravates me is the crappy writing that accompanies it. I'm blowing it out of proportion but I hold the Atomic forums in high regards and yet sometimes the level of dialogue does not validate that. So it's not what is being discussed that offends me it's simply the manner in how it's being discussed, I want people to think through the things they say rather than airing their emotions because it feels good. Edited by King_TriTAN

But if its only a couple then pcs aren't that hard up for good titles. Hell id happily replay most games I have bought. Haven't played through planescape for a while.

You don't need to explain your thought processes, isn't it odd you come into the LA Noire thread telling everyone that you're too busy with PC games? I'm in the LA Noire thread and I'm reading about you wanting to play Planescape because you don't want to play LA Noire. Does anyone care?

I had heard good things about the game and had a look at the thread. It wasn't tagged as console in the title so I read on and was expressing my views as is the common practice on a forum. My comments weren't responding to the op. They were responding to your comments about people whinging about releases on different platforms. How about you just keep on the attack so noon realises how utterly pointless your posts are becoming.

I will apologise for the post at the top of page 2. PUI rarely leads to mature sounding content. I was frustrated that people want a game on a particular platform but then buy another one to play it. It does nothing to achieve what you want when you buy things released in a manner you don't want, be it that games in Australia are too expensive or that its released on the wrong console or that it is missing content to fit MA15+ (although that is hardly in the hands of developers/publishers to decide). So I stand by the point, if not by the wording.

Edited by fliptopia