morris

Asus Transformer

Virt's thread turned into a discussion on the Transformer, but it's not obvious so I've created one.

Now from what I can find it's launching end of May in Australia.

There will be a launch countdown starting May 19. They will announce retailers then.

It seems that we are getting the 16GB model for AU$599 (unsure if this includes the dock) and the 32GB for AU$799 with docking. Much more expensive than the US pricing and it's angered quite a lot of people and they've made it known on Asus' facebook page. They have not responded to the pricing though.

So... who's getting one?

I've told workmates about it and they are now interested too. One was about to import it through B&H.

I'm going to wait for the list of local retailers on the 19th and then make my decision. I can keep using my netbook for a little longer, but I do want a tablet very soon.

well im very pleased with my little samung Tablet so the larger one would be a happy edition to the family. But since i have the tablet i think i'll sit in the pool and circle around my pray until it's vulnerable then i'll strike!

translation - I has tablet. will wait for big one to get cheaper.

so i'll be watching your progress morris.

Can you get amazon to ship from U.S or U.K? might be cheaper?

I don't think I can wait til the 25th, so I'm going to need to order one from the US.

B&H don't have any stock. I wonder where I can track one down.

Edited by Virtuoso

I don't think anyone has any in stock. There's a lot of demand for it and the first batch disappeared very quickly.

I'm waiting for the 19th to find out if work is going to be stocking it. If so, I'll be finding out what my staff price is :D.

If we're not going to stock it, I'll find out how much it is and make a decision from there. I was about to buy an Acer A500 from work, but I can wait a couple more weeks for this.

I'd be tempted, but I'd want the keyboard, and as far as I can see, the low-end model doesn't come with it.

I'd be tempted, but I'd want the keyboard, and as far as I can see, the low-end model doesn't come with it.

You can buy the keyboard dock separately.

I want the dock too, but I'm looking at the 32GB model anyway.

both the 16gb and 32gb will work with the dock. the dock is an optional accessory (for a price)

apparently on facebook, countdown begins with release on the 25th as mentioned in this forum, but the same statement says that the list of suppliers in AU will e disclosed closer to the 25th not the 19th, so not sure if we'll know on the 19th

i'd like to order one myself, everywhere is sold out, but prices in the states are better than over here, i wish asus AU had offered it at better prices, based on demand, they will still sell, so probably no hope of any early prices unfortunately

B&H wont have more in stock until 31st may, excaliberpc.com have stock coming in on the 13th, but who know how much stock they will get and most likely they wont be able to fulfill the current set of orders (plus they only take wire transfer not international cards)

so maybe, we are all but destined to buy locally and pay the more expensive price......

i do wish however, that there was a mini or micro USB actually on the tablet as opposed to just the docking keyboard accessory though...but thats the way it goes i guess.

Ahh you're right. 19th is the start of the count down, but 25th is the list. I'm not sure any more. Let me re-read the discussion on the Asus facebook page where I read about it first. When I get home (I'm currently on the train home on my netbook wirelessly tethered to my mobile phone)

I do like the idea of having USB on the tablet itself (like the Acer A500). I might wait for reviews too.

*sigh* if I keep waiting I'll never buy one.

EDIT:

According to the facebook page the 19th is the start of the countdown, 25th is the launch date and they will announce who is stocking the product just before the 25th.

Edited by morris

See when I saw it first off, I thought the keyboard came with it. Then I researched, and found out that it was additional, and was going to cost around $150-200 extra.

See when I saw it first off, I thought the keyboard came with it. Then I researched, and found out that it was additional, and was going to cost around $150-200 extra.

yep "optional extra" seems kinda crazy for them to try and price these things against the iPad.

I thought it would have made more sense to price them below apples market leader to build up a user base and get the units hauling out the door.

Make sure you guys post up the info you find and if you get one i'll be very interested to see how you go.

On a brighter note - The longer you have to wait the more Bugs they can fix and also more apps should appear for honeycomb. Small consolation prize i know but every bit counts.

According to an old whirlpool thread - http://whrl.pl/RKON6 - it seems to be that achieva and synnex is the distributors for Asus - consider contacting them?

Edited by amckern

According to an old whirlpool thread - http://whrl.pl/RKON6 - it seems to be that achieva and synnex is the distributors for Asus - consider contacting them?

I don't think there's any point. Asus said that it's out on the 25th. Contacting the supplier isn't going to get it out earlier.

Achieva doesn't currently carry any Asus netbook/notebooks, and while Synnex has a wide range of their notebooks, they have only two eeePCs listed (and only one with stock).

So while there's a chance they'll carry it, I wouldn't be holding my breath.

Edited by tantryl

According to the Asus Australia facebook page, JB Hifi and Harvey Norman stores are stocking the Asus Transformer.

BUT not all stores will be stocking it. Closer to the release day they will (with permission from respective chains) publish a list of stores that will be stocking the unit.

I'm hoping my store is on that list.

How much discount do you get Morris? Wanna grab me one as well? :D

:P

[edit] Just looked at the Hardly Normal catalogue, they have the Asus EEE Slate, $593. 16gb SSD, 1GB RAM, Honeycomb.

Edited by 800_series

How much discount do you get Morris? Wanna grab me one as well? :D

Let's first find out if my store is getting it.

Also looked at the JB catalogue, and quite uncharacteristcally of them, they have the Acer Iconia 16gb tablet for $20 MORE than Harveys.

Yeah harveys is smashing 'small consumer product' prices now, and gouging on fridges, couches, and full systems.

It seems to be a new plan to get you in, and sell you more once you're there.

I went looking for a tablet yesterday; I want 3G on whatever I get otherwise I dont see the point.

NOTHING cheap exists. Where are all the slow $50 tablets we were promised?

In the USA the samsung tab is down to $99 through verison (with no contract) but i cant import that here.

FML. I only want to RDP.

Ahhh, I went googling this tablet to see if there was any up-to-date news about it, and found a link here. Should have known to just head here first :)

I've been eagerly awaiting a good Android tablet (As I'm sure Morris knows, hah). And the Asus Transformer has been high on my list of Tablets to get a closer look at.

Having been into a JB where they had an Acer Iconia running Honeycomb with very similar specs to the Transformer, I can definitely say that I'd be quite happy with the performance, and with the keyboard dock (including an extra battery), it seems like it'd be very portable.

I would have really liked 3G support, but already having an Android phone that can act as a WiFi hotspot, and being able to buy relatively cheap WiFi hotspots from pretty much any Telco now, it's not a big problem...

But I am struggling to work out exactly what is, and isn't important. With most of the tablets today being SO similar, the differences, although minor, become increasingly important...

The Transformer has the Dock, with keyboard, trackpad, extra USB ports, and extra battery for longer life. These sound pretty excellent... But would I *really* use those features that much? Or would the dock end up buried under paper on my desk? Would I rather have 3G built right into the tablet? and/or a barometer (?!?!?!?)?

because id use mine for email, surfing and RDP mainly, i'd like 3G built in. I know that.

But, thats about all i know :P

I've worked out that I want a tablet to use on the train. For reading ebooks and comics.

It's much easier to do with a tablet than a netbook, especially if I don't get a seat.

When I get home I can plug it into the dock and I can use it sitting down.

I don't need 3G because when I'm on the train, I have my phone for wireless tethering. When I get home I have my wifi network.

btw the 3G model won't be out until fourth quarter this year.

I am so sick of waiting for Android Tablet manufacturers to get their shit together.

Seriously, annoying, shit. Why do we have to wait SO long, to get the same device, with a 3G module?

My boss went and bought "The tablet we do not mention" because he could get it, and it serviced his immediate needs. He agree's that the Android tablets I've been showing him look great, but he can't buy one, so their useless to him, and unfortunately he has a point.

But you're right Morris, if I want data that badly, I have my phone, if I want to do some work, create or consume some media, then I'll have a tablet. Guess I'll see if I can find a way to order the Transformer! (It does have the best name).

Do you think, if we get 5 Transformer tablets together, that we can combine them together to be a mega Transformer ala Predaking?

Portable memory is really important. Being able to easily take data from the tablet to a PC, or from a camera to the tablet is pretty important for me.

And since Asus have announced the Honeycomb 3.1 update already (http://thisismynext.com/2011/05/17/asus-acer-honeycomb-tablets-android-3-1-june/), the USB ports, and microSD card slot make this super attractive, for those very reasons. (Honeycomb 3.1 has USB peripheral support).

I've just spend the better part of the afternoon trying to work out where to buy one from, and I haven't had much luck. It looks like some American etailers got some stock today/yesterday and are already out again, and due to the insane price hike for Aus, I'll definitely be trying to order from the US. a 32GB model for $499 plus $150 for a dock = $650. Which is actually more like $610.76 at current exchange rates, means that you can probably get them to your door for around $650 total.

But I've been reading about supply problems, so I guess I'm just going to have to wait...

Well today is launch day and

... no one seems to have them in stock or even know about it.

I've been following it closely on the Asus Australia facebook page and no one is happy.

They promised us a list of stores and it's a generic list. No specific stores mentioned.

And the national retailers seem to know nothing about it. Some are getting it in June/July, but no one has them today.

Failaunch.