Goth

Anti Spore - resisting EA's attack on good christian values

I guess it's a reminder that people who are fanatical about anything usually look like complete and utter idiots.

Certainly, religion is a major group of these people, but there are other groups that are just as bad but perhaps not as numerous =P

"This entire game is propaganda aimed directly at our children to teach them evolution instead of creationism, or “intelligent design” if you go for stupid PC terms. "

"It takes a village to raise a child

And 8,500 employees at Electronic Arts to corrupt a child’s mind.

8,500 people all working together and not a single one with enough Jesus to stand up and say what they are doing is wrong.

It makes me sick."

"I used to like Will Wright. He created Sim City, a fantastic game that celebrated the earth that God created for us and allowed you to use all your God given abilities to make an ideal society. But if you ever felt like you had too much power, God would come in with a tornado or an earthquake and put you back in place.

You would think that as a member of the Episcopal Church, a smart man like Will Wright would not be capable of creating Spore. However, we must be reminded that the Episcopal Church is the only church in america that ordains homosexuals on a regular basis.

It makes sense that a perverted church would cause a man to make the creations he has in this game. It just may be that evolution is not the only thing to fear this game teaching your children."

"However, I have received many comments saying that the game is more like intelligent design than evolution and I must say I very much disagree after using Craigslist to find someone who would allow me to watch how the game is played.

Yes, the game allows the player to choose how the character looks. But the game guides you through the evolutionary theory.

If you create a character that functions badly, and you can not eat, or fight, or move fast. You have difficulty surviving. Thus you must through trial and error select a design that works. Which is the fundamental “survival of the fittest” theory behind evolution.

Additionally, if you choose an omnivore creature, and eat only meat. Guess what? You evolve into a Carnivore.

God did not create us through trial and error. He did not make millions of mistakes until deciding on the final concept. Each of his concepts were perfect on the first try."

Gold!

The 'about' section is a horde of lulz.

I didn't relise there was an about section! I just read the first entry!

/me goes back to read more.

"This entire game is propaganda aimed directly at our children to teach them evolution instead of creationism, or “intelligent design” if you go for stupid PC terms. "

However, I have received many comments saying that the game is more like intelligent design than evolution and I must say I very much disagree after using Craigslist to find someone who would allow me to watch how the game is played.

Yes, the game allows the player to choose how the character looks. But the game guides you through the evolutionary theory.

If you create a character that functions badly, and you can not eat, or fight, or move fast. You have difficulty surviving. Thus you must through trial and error select a design that works. Which is the fundamental “survival of the fittest” theory behind evolution."

meh.

I played for a bit then returned it, not cos it was an affront to my delicate spirituality but because it was SO FUCKING BORING! But I digress, before I returned it I did use the thing to sneak in some critical thinking skills to junior about evolution, and how here is this game that's supposedly about evolution and yet you, the intelligent designer have to pick body parts, pick behaviours, or in other words intelligently design and manage most aspects of the game. But that's just me, I'm cunning like that. So while the gamedoes hap on about evolutionary theory I found it great that nothing about it would work without intelligent design or direction. But hey, each to their own I guess. ;-)

Who's to say that evolution isn't part of God's own intelligent design?

The process of evolution, to me at least, seems like a pretty clever one. It's amazing how life evolves, and it makes one wonder if there isn't a greater intelligent force nudging it along in the right direction.

I've never understood why christianity and evolution seem to be so mutually exlusive. I don't think there's any real need for them to be, unless of course you read both Genesis stories and take their meaning a little too literally without giving ANY thought to when, where, and why those stories were written.

It's funny, you'd think that if you were so confident and felt so right about your own philosophy, you wouldn't be so affronted by conflicting ideas. Unless, of course, there's this little niggling feeling in the back of you mind which keeps pressing the "You know you could be completely wrong about everything" button.

Dude, god has only existed for 2000 years.

'

It's funny, you'd think that if you were so confident and felt so right about your own philosophy, you wouldn't be so affronted by conflicting ideas. Unless, of course, there's this little niggling feeling in the back of you mind which keeps pressing the "You know you could be completely wrong about everything" button.

Thing is, most sane people, religious or not, cretionists or evolutionists, can accept both sides of the fence, and will believe what they choose without forcing it down everyones throat.

Its just extremists who ruin the peace.

Spore Fans Get Rick Rolled

A purported religious anti-Spore blog turns out to be a meme-fueled Internet joke.

By GameSpy Staff | Sept. 11, 2008

Amidst the recent Spore hype, negative Amazon.com reviews concerning DRM issues and other craziness surrounding Will Wright's latest release, one blog has today confessed to being nothing more than a hoax. Antispore.com is a user-generated Internet blog that claimed to be run by a religious individual who was not at all pleased with the "theory of evolution" embodied in the game's core gameplay mechanics.

For a few weeks now, posts have been made to the blog stating that people of faith should not support EA, Will Wright, or essentially anyone that wants to play Spore.

Today however, a new post suggests that it's all been a joke at the angry blog readers' expense. The post entitled "Understand my beliefs please" starts off in the traditional manner of baiting the defenders of the game. It then reaches a point where the following paragraph "rickrolls" all the participants:

But the Bible teaches us that God was not done with man. For we were His creation and He then spoke to Noah in Genesis 8:21-27 after the flood.

"21. The LORD smelled the pleasing aroma and said in his heart: "Never again will I curse the ground because of man, even though every inclination of his heart is evil from childhood. And never gonna give you up. 22. "Never gonna let you down." 23."Never gonna run around and desert you." 24. "Never gonna make you cry." 25. "Never gonna say goodbye." 26. "Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you." 27."Never truly believe anything you read on the Internet. There will always be cases of Poe's Law."

Despite quoting those all-too familiar lyrics from the infamous Internet meme and even going so far as to throw in a nod to Poe's Law, it seems that the vast majority of commenters still don't get the joke. Ingenious guerilla marketing by EA? Or just some person exacting revenge on overenthusiastic gamers? You decide...

Thought it seemed a bit suss...

The process of evolution, to me at least, seems like a pretty clever one. It's amazing how life evolves, and it makes one wonder if there isn't a greater intelligent force nudging it along in the right direction.

I've never understood why christianity and evolution seem to be so mutually exlusive. I don't think there's any real need for them to be, unless of course you read both Genesis stories and take their meaning a little too literally without giving ANY thought to when, where, and why those stories were written.

This is my point.

Which goes oft-unheard. :(

OMG - I can't believe this is for real.

Its only a computer game and a fairly innocent one at that - I wonder if he has issues with Grand Theft Auto?

I can't see anything anti-christian in Spore.