Dumped dell for up to a fortnight of hearing nothing, and toshiba are there, same day, every time, with a full part-kit. Fixing ANYTHING on site.

It's down to the individual CSR, and how big your account is.

Yep.

Never had an issue with Dell. In fact, even if I breathe down the phone, they'll bend over backwards.

Though from this entire thread, I realise why people don't want to hire gen y IT staff. They clearly think they'll get some gen y retard who will just build a fullsik gamin rig yo.

I dunno if its that brains, I think you'll find people in here have just had different employers.

Myself, Ive worked for mainly small businesses, where IT WAS an afterthought. The idea of spending almost double as a redundancy was not even considered when i was asked "How quickly could YOU fix it?" I always said within the day (which i could) and they were happy. Demanded an interactive UPS and a decent offsite back up plan, and i'm confidient too. Not ideal, but im happy.

Big business is much the same; they have QUALIFIED employees who should bend over backward and fix things as soon as their asked. Go the extra mile, etc. The government works like this, we had a UPS trip a safety switch in Cairns, only CBD staff are qualified to touch a UPS, so they flew an employee out there to re-flick the switch. retarded, but clearly they prefer to use the staff they're already paying.

Middle business is where I think things like redundancy and what not come in. Too big to know staff intimately enough to know their skill set. Too big to custom deploy, and enough redundancy to wait for 3rd party support staff.

Once again though man, its all different experiences we're drawing from, no one is going to come up with the same experience. Hence why no one is arguing; just sharing views.

In regards to Dell, and how big your account is, Youd think that the Queensland Government would be pretty big in terms of account size, considering all the servers, all the PC's, laptops and PDAs were all dell, across all 6 departments (which MOG'd together). I doubt there would be one bigger in QLD.

We'd log a job in the morning via their corporate support system, 48 hours to even get a phone call back sometimes. Toshiba call within 5 minutes and arrange when best suits the client.

As i said, different experiences.

In regards to Dell, and how big your account is, Youd think that the Queensland Government would be pretty big in terms of account size, considering all the servers, all the PC's, laptops and PDAs were all dell, across all 6 departments (which MOG'd together). I doubt there would be one bigger in QLD.

We'd log a job in the morning via their corporate support system, 48 hours to even get a phone call back sometimes. Toshiba call within 5 minutes and arrange when best suits the client.

And now we get to your fail.

Never fucking log anything critical via the Internet. Call your rep and chew them out until a part is couriered and you have a tracking number. Call. Telephone. Human interaction.

I had Dell ship me an entire new server, over the weekend, in less time than that. Want to know why? Because I called.

Never fucking log anything critical via the Internet. Call your rep and chew them out until a part is couriered and you have a tracking number. Call. Telephone. Human interaction.

I had Dell ship me an entire new server, over the weekend, in less time than that. Want to know why? Because I called.

+1

I always ring Dell support directly for an urgent laptop fix. They take ages to respond to emails sometimes.

Not allowed, thats against policy here.

Also, we were directed to this BECAUSE we're a large 'company'.

Its not this ends fail, when we're doing exactly what both the company (dell) and the client (government) have been told to do in official procedure. Procedure that was put into place under Dell's instructions.

My oppinion, is that they only have 3 or so people full time servicing the CBD area, so if we have 5 warranty repairs in one day (not uncommon with PDA's and laptops which get faults more easily) they're short staffed. Thats assuming no one else in the whole CBD has warranty calls that day (good luck)

+1

I always ring Dell support directly for an urgent laptop fix. They take ages to respond to emails sometimes.

Its not email; its their version of Remedy Incident Management; cia an online form its direct logged.

Hardly important now anyway; the 6 departments all switched to HP after the dell-capacitor-fiasco (almost all are dead now from popped caps; yes, all) about a week after warranty ends.

HP respond pretty quick via online, same business day without fail.

Edited by Master_Scythe

Then perhaps it's time to find a new CSR and re-negotiate the terms of their service agreement.

It seems that given the experiences of brains and myself, there's something either Dell or the Government is not telling you.

Then perhaps it's time to find a new CSR and re-negotiate the terms of their service agreement.

It seems that given the experiences of brains and myself, there's something either Dell or the Government is not telling you.

entirely possible.

Heh..funny. I was chatting to a Vic Government IT employee today and was thinking "hey this sounds kinda cool, maybe one day in a few years I'll head back to QLD and work for the govt there". Then I came here and saw that Queensland Government obviously don't put much thought into who they employ..might hold off on that for a while.

We seem to be digressing away from the subject matter,

no one got othe value options for this kind of application?

I think Brains and Squalstrife were just confirming (in a way) what I said to you in the first place. Edited by nesquick

I think Brains and Squalstrife were just confirming (in a way) what I said to you in the first place.

Like I said earlier I understand what I should do and it will cost min $3-4k for a Dell or HP and I know they wont swallow it,

A boxen that atleast gets them going is what I'm trying to do without it being so hiedeously painfull using my laptop or a some office PC from 2004

Edited by Betzie

Well I don't think people have been looking to hard, if you really need ECC memory check these out http://static.acer.com/up/Resource/Acer/Se...0Specs%20AU.pdf

its a barebones system but hey its got a good CPU and good 3year NBD onsite warranty.

you can buy them at megaware for $1100 http://www.megaware.com.au/index.php?main_...ducts_id=120299 which also sell ECC ram and quadro GPU's

Edited by nesquick

Well I don't think people have been looking to hard, if you really need ECC memory check these out http://static.acer.com/up/Resource/Acer/Se...0Specs%20AU.pdf

its a barebones system but hey its got a good CPU and goos 3year NBD onsite warranty.

you can buy them at megaware for $1100 http://www.megaware.com.au/index.php?main_...ducts_id=120299 which also sell ECC ram and quadro GPU's

Now THATS spot-on.

Add a screen, Quadro GPU, and SSD (optional), and you're good to go! and likely within budget.

Then I came here and saw that Queensland Government obviously don't put much thought into who they employ.

Why do you say that? The screening process is pretty extreme, as is the interview.

Unless you mean companies; in which case, no, apparently dell was picked randomly without testing their service to our area first.

Edited by Master_Scythe

Unless you mean companies; in which case, no, apparently dell was picked randomly without testing their service to our area first.

If you're in or near the CBD (Spring Hill, West End, Fortitude Valley, etc) you should be getting much better turnaround than 48 hours.

48 hours is probably OK if you live in Bumfuck WA.

If you're in or near the CBD (Spring Hill, West End, Fortitude Valley, etc) you should be getting much better turnaround than 48 hours.

48 hours is probably OK if you live in Bumfuck WA.

I am not even in corporate level IT and I have had a 24 hour turn around from dell so I agree with what you are saying to, the thing is Dell need to be phoned otherwise you wait forever for them to get back to you and more often than not they were perfectly happy for me to change whatever part was diagnosed as being dead instead of a tech.

Fair enough. For companies that do phone logging, DELL is a great option then.

Though if you're a big group and demand a paper trail, my experience is avoid. But its clearly not the norm.

That ACER you picked though is amazing Nesquick; VERY nice.

I wonder how the noise is considering it'll effectively be a desktop? Will it have server grade 'turbo ear bleed fans'.

Either way thats easy fixed.

I repeat, SSD, Quadro, Screen, good to go!

Edited by Master_Scythe

heh yea there are some good deals out there to be had on servers you just have to know where to look :D

From my experience using AutoCAD and ProEngineer (quite a lot) I would recommend you go for the Workstation video card for the reasons described by Squall. Unless you use this software try not to comment on what 'should work'. The workstation cards really help with these applications for real-time rendering and final renders etc and make life a lot easier.

I would also say the SSD is probably the least of your worries for this sort of work.

Note - I haven't had experience with Rhino 3D.

Leadtek nVidia Quadro FX580 PCIE 512M $247.00

OCZ 80G Vertex II Series SSD $175.00

Asus VH238H 23"W LED 2ms D-Sub DVI-D HDMI BLK $195.00

Total $661.00

You have a big drive coming with that server for your data files, so you wont need anyhting more than 80GB.

But yes, its the least of your worries; with enough ram hopefully you wont be caching much. Or you could make a RAMdrive with any spare ram.

It depends how far you go with CAD and more so 3D, as i said. If you start loading textures and using youe least used tools or scripts, its nice to have them 'pop up' almost instantly from the SSD, but its not biggie.

Also, thats the cheapest card that is certified to boost performance with AutoCad rendering

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/cert?...ard=&opt=2#

Edited by Master_Scythe