Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Juggs

My story

You should have this as your theme song when walking out to the ring, its awesome, and you are my Rock Star :P

Thanks guys. I'm struggling to keep up with a day by day atm, but tomorrow is going to be a very relaxed day. Only cardio and learning the Wai Kru, so I should have plenty of time to come in and update.

I write everythign down into a notepad first, then blog it. I'll start just blogging now, because its easy enough to get to a net cafe now that I have wheels, and as I said, I'll have a lot of time in the next day or two before the fight.

J

I may not have said it, but yeah, I am loving the thread but more importantly the drive behind it. Putting the hard yards in, comitting and testing yourself is an awe inspiring thing. And inspiring in general too. Win, lose, draw or NC come fight day (less than 2 days away!), the journey to get there and the event itself are huge. I envy your drive.

... what size are those?

With nothing next to them to compare to, it's hard to see the scale.

For some reason when I looked at the photo, my brain said that they are XS size :(

lol, your first or last name Chris? I'd have thought you'd want your surname on your trunks, not your given name o.O

... what size are those?

For some reason when I looked at the photo, my brain said that they are XS size :(

They're XL. Fit awesomely, so much room in the legs and comfy around the guts.

lol, your first or last name Chris? I'd have thought you'd want your surname on your trunks, not your given name o.O

A lot of fighters have their names on the shorts, i got the idea from a few other guys who have done the same. Because i dont have any kind of name here, simply using the name i'm billed as is the best way to go.

Yeah I'm lovin' the thread too for the sheer adventure of it all.

I probably won't get to check in again before the bout, so best o' luck to ye Juggs!

:-)

great thread! can't wait for the next post juggs :)

and goodluck in your fight!

... what size are those?

Haha... you know, I see that too. >_>

I'm a fuckin headliner!

Posted Image

Woot!

Definitely, your new nick-name will have to be "International Chris". xD

Has anyone given you any idea of when you'll find out who you're fighting?

... what size are those?

They're XL. Fit awesomely, so much room in the legs and comfy around the guts.

Think i'll go with the L then. ;)

Definitely not an M. You can't be all that much bigger than me now... Proud of you, mate!

-A-

Day 12

Am:

I'm up early and straight into it. I run 2 laps of the usual circuit before getting into training.

We do more technical sparring and I'm with the new yank. He's a lot more controlled now, so we work better with our given combos.

We move onto proper sparring for the remainder of the session, which we keep nice and light.

I spar the slob this time around, and he keeps getting frustrated and throwing haymakers. I practice controlling the distance between us, and keep him on the outside. Each time he comes forward, I sting him with a jab. When he covers up and tries to absorb a few to get in closer, I hit him with a push kick. On those occasions when I feel like being a prick, I fake a jab and send out an inside leg kick when he steps forward :)

He keeps getting worked up, and throwing wild punches. The trainers are watching him and laughing each time he loses it, only to be silenced by a jab.

He eventually leaps forward with a flurry of punches that would not be out of place in a wind farm, so I sweep his leg and send him face first. He's none too appreciative of this, but by the time he gets up the round is over.

From then it becomes a game - everyone who spars him sweeps his leg and sends him crashing down :)

We finish with bag work and I'm straight back home for lunch and icing up my shins.

Pm:

I run a lap before we start, then skip for 10 minutes as more people arrive. We all jump in the ring for the usual stretches and warmup, before starting the padwork. Lots of padwork. My trainer stops me and asks me if I'm tired. This is a usual question from him, asked with a big shit eating grin, and the only acceptable answer is "Never!". Otherwise, he'll punish you. But this time, its different.

He asks me again, and I admit that I am tired and a little sore. He says he can see it in my muscles, and that he's cancelling our private session that night so I can get a massage. No ladyboys! :P

We finish off the session and I'm asked if I want to go to Thapae stadium to see one of the local trainers fight. I'm up for it, so we make arrangements to meet at 8:30 at the gym.

This doesn't leave me heaps of time, so I race back home for a shower and quick skype home. I head over to local massage parlour and get a nice thai massage (the local one isn't dodgy =_=). I feel a million times better afterwards, and a little hungry, so I wander past the food stalls to see whats on offer.

One stall is selling bbq chicken legs with skin off, so I smash two of those with a little sticky rice, head home to get changed into some jeans, and then make my way to the gym.

Once we are all at the gym and ready to go, we pile into the back of a ute (something I haven't done since I was a kid) and head to the stadium.

Thapae Stadium

I walk in with the fighter and entourage, but stick out like dogs balls on a cat. They let all the Thai guys in free, but I'm forced to pay. I go to speak with the promotor at the front gate, who will give me a cheap ticket, and wait while he's dealing with customers.

The customers that he's dealing with are 4 poms who are trying to bargain a better price on their tickets. They're refusing to accept that its a fixed price. I stand there with Samart (I may as well start calling him his name beyond Mr "1 Million Pushups" or my trainer), and we just hang back quietly as this all goes on.

The chick in the group sees me standing there with my arms crossed, and sizes me up: "What, are you fucking fighting in there tonight or something?!" she screeches, hands on hips.

I keep an entirely straight face and simply say "Wednesday". Her boyfriend puts an arm around her and pulls her back after that :P

Kob quickly hands me my ticket ahead of the poms, and Samart and I make our way back in.

We go past the general public area into the fighters area, and set up camp on a bench. I have a diagonal view of the ring, so I get up and walk around to get better photos. I notice the poms, and the girl keeps giving me the evil eye, watching my every movement on the side of the fence she's not allowed on.

I take a few photos and watch the fights. There are a couple of kids fights, they're between 9 and 11 I'd say. A couple of girl fights which are vicious, they're about 16. They have a novelty fight where they get 4 guys in and blind fold them, and they just take wild swings at each other. And then they have the main event.

As our fighter is getting ready to jump in the ring, I grab my camera. The guys see this and tell me to stand in the neutral corner on the apron and video it. I jump up (ignoring the poms :P) and start filming from an awesome vantage point.

I have a great view of the fight, its brutal and our fighter keeps looking over and smiling. He cops a few good kicks, but he controls the fight from the early stages. Cuts open his opponent just over the eye with a good elbow too.

The fight goes the distance, and our guy wins by decision - which was obvious during the fight.

We make our way back to the fighters area, clean him up, and say good night. We all pile back into the ute, and make our way home.

The guys wanna stay up drinking, but its 0100 in the morning by this stage, and theres no way I'm up for that. I tell them I wont be in early for the first class, and they tell me instead to come in at 11 for a private (instead of later in the evening).

I ride back home, and as soon as I'm on the bed, I'm out like a light.

Edited by Juggs

The chick in the group sees me standing there with my arms crossed, and sizes me up: "What, are you fucking fighting in there tonight or something?!" she screeches, hands on hips.

I keep an entirely straight face and simply say "Wednesday". Her boyfriend puts an arm around her and pulls her back after that :P

HAHAHAHAHAHHAA I'm on the train trying not to laugh out loud.

Go International Chris!!

Has anyone given you any idea of when you'll find out who you're fighting?

Check Juggs' facebook. He knows.

Day 13

Am:

Thanks to last nights effort, I sleep through until 10 in the morning. I get showered, changed, and head to the gym.

Its fkn hot. The sun is absolutely beaming fiery rays of death upon the world, and I'm about to train in that heat. Awesome.

I get to the gym and find that Samart can't make it today, and that Oom will be working with me instead. Thats fine, Oom is the head trainer, so I'm pretty happy.

Oom and I work many rounds of padwork, and its the first time we've worked together. He's happy with my technique, fixing little bits here and there. I think a lot of it is the difference between trainers more than anything else, but I take it on board.

He's happy with my power and my conditioning, so all that work in the last week has paid off. But, just to be certain, we wrap up with 200 pushkicks and 200 jumping knees on the bags, followed by 200 situps in the ring.

I lend the guys my bike so they can go and get lunch, so I'm left alone doing situps. When they return, I'm just finishing up, so we kick back and chat for a little bit. Turns out that they're sparring that afternoon, and I'm not up for it with my fight so close, so I get the all clear to take the afternoon off.

The guys start cooking their lunch (their house is behind the gym) so I bugger off home and clean up. I jump on the bike and go to my usual lunch place, before heading into the net cafe for a bit of aircon.

I head back to my room to dump some of my gear and take a quick nap, before heading back into the city to find out whats going on with my shorts. They definitely wont be ready until Monday, so I go for a wander to get some food at the other Mikes Burger outlet that I ahd read about, and then head back to Thapae Stadium to see if my flyers are ready.

They're not, but I had forgotten that one of our fighters is fighting tonight. I see Oom and get a ticket off him, and head back in for another night of Muay Thai goodness.

Its a similar card to the other night, a couple of kid fights, a couple of girl fights, some really good dudes fighting, and then the main event - our guy.

Unfortunately, Alex cops a kick to the leg early and goes down in round 1. He's unable to continue, so they call the fight then and there, and Alex walks out of the ring with assistance.

As I rode in, I don't need to worry about hanging around for a ute ride home, so while some of the guys head to the GoGo bars, I head back to try to get an earlier night than before.

Day 14. Sunday. My second day off.

I wake up late, wanting a sleep in. No bacon and eggs for me this morning tho, just a protein shake to keep it nice and light.

I head down to the net cafe to try to fix my ipod, but its just not happening. Its dead. I decide that I'll have to look into a replacement at Pantip plaza.

I go and get lunch and catch up with a few guys there. We sit around for an hour chatting and eating, everyone is nice and relaxed. Myles is heading home that day, and he's keen as. He's been training in Thailand for 3 months and has a K-1 rules fight in August. We wrap up, wish him well, and head our seperate ways.

I jump on the bike and head back to the apartment. Last time I went to the city this early, I wandered around all day doing nothing, so I just went and had a nap.

I contemplated going out shooting at the shooting range, but its a bit pricy for my liking, and its too hot to bother. Plus, I just want to rest, which is what i've been told to do before my fight.

I head into town again, and park outside the boxing stadium. This time I walk the entire length of the walking market, getting a few more of the muay thai paintings. I stop by one of the Wats and eat in their garden, in the shadow of a Budda shrine. Its really quiet and peaceful in there.

I head back into the walking market, and just walk the entire length. Theres nothing of interest to me, except heading down the side streets to check out the temples, and other bits and pieces I didn't see before.

I reach the end of the market and, fittingly, find myself at the doorstep to a 7-11. Its hot, and I want something sweet, so I duck inside for an icecream.

Armed with sticky icecream hands, suddenly no one wants me to look at their wares. If you're ever wandering around a pushy marketplace, go armed with an icecream. Seriously. So I'm left alone for the remainder of my walk.

I cross the street to Thapae gate markets and the guy with the custom shorts sees me and pulls me aside. He tells me that he's out of Aus flags to put behind the leg. I try to think of a suitable alternative, but can't, so I tell him its fine and I'll pick them up tomorrow.

I take another 10 steps and Phil from the Bar and Diner comes up, and tells me his tale of woe about being fired. Something to do with the owner being married to a Thai woman to get a visa, but being gay with a liking for lady boys. Apparently theres a blackmail story in there as well. I realised real quick that I don't want a part of this, and have a feeling it will end with being asked for money, so I make quick excuses and disappear into the crowd.

I wander away from the markets and just nowhere in general, before heading back towards the boxing stadium to see if the flyers are ready yet (Last time I was told Sunday night). They're not.

Rather than buggerise around any more, I head back home. Time for an early night, for a change.

Its fkn hot.

Lucky bastard.

Sometimes :P

Also, I'm powering through these. Not a great deal has happened in the last few days, so I'm just going through the basics to try to get up to date and so I can blog daily about what I'm doing now.

Day 15 - My last training session!

Am:

I spring out of bed, and get ready to go to training. I forgo the run this morning, in favour of skipping.

I catch up with the guys as they arrive, and we all jump in the ring for warmups and technique sparring.

We work a range of combos for 45 minutes, before we're split up. I get padwork, others get bag work.

I'm with a trainer I haven't seen since the first week today, who comes with his own equipment. He works me hard, in consultation with Samart and Oom, who point out the things they want fixed.

We work 5 or 6 rounds of padwork (last two being focus mitts) before he sends me to the heavy bags with a list of combos to work each round.

I do another 5 rounds of single combos on the bags, while being supervised and corrected on technique.

I get another couple of rounds of nothing but kicks (alternating rounds - L and R legs), before being given another round of elbows.

By the end of it I'm pretty shagged, but that doesn't stop them from giving me another 200 knees and pushkicks. I knew they were coming, but didn't whinge.

When all of this is complete, I jump in the ring with the guys and we do another 300 situps. I then get directed over to the weights, where I do 25 reps of low weight exercises (chest, shoulders, biceps, triceps), and then am given a coffee tin thats full of concrete with a rubber hose to work my neck with.

This involves taking my shirt, wrapping it around the rubber, biting the shirt, and then with my hands behind my back, nodding up and down slowly. I do 100 of these and my head feels like its being pulled backwards by a horse. This is designed to keep my head from bouncing around (and subsequently me being knocked out) if i cop a direct smack in the face.

Its only after all of this that I'm allowed to stretch, get a protein shake, and go back to shower and rest.

Except today, I've got other plans.

I shower and jump straight onto the bike to go to Pantip plaza. I need to find a new mp3 player, something cheap and that works like a usb drive. I need to load music onto it for when I'm sitting in the holding pen before my fight, and while I'm being taped up and oiled.

I do a few laps of Pantip, and cannot find anything suitable. They want around 60 au for a 2gb mp3 player. Fuck.dat. I decide to just use my phone as its already got a stack of music on it, and I can just add specific missing songs.

As I walk around I find one of those places that convert media from one format to another, and get them to put the Thai guys fight onto dvd for him. it costs me a couple of bucks, but he really dug the fact that I filmed it for him, so why not?

I grab a quick bite to eat while I'm waiting for them to transfer the file off the memory card. I do a little more wandering, find some yumcha ipod clones (that will suit my arm band nicely) but they're all too pricey and they're not willing to budge. Phone it is, for sure.

I grab my memory card and make a bee-line to the internet cafe so I can download music and upload it to my phone.

Once I finish, it leaves me 45 minutes to have a nap before the afternoon session starts. I race back home, sack out with the playlist in my earphones, and just rest until its time to train again.

Pm:

I get up and head to the gym after my nap, pumped from the soundtrack I've had playing during my rest.

I get to the gym, oil up, and immediately go for a run. Just a single lap today, nothing too difficult.

I return to the gym for 10 minutes of skipping, before we get back into the ring to stretch and go through combos together again.

I work about 4 of the combos before the guys decide to pull me out of the ring and set me up with Oom in the corner for some one on one pad work.

While the guys work a relatively easy pace in the heat in the ring, I'm given the proper fight experience. They have a stool set up in the corner of the gym for me to sit on, get iced, rubbed down and massaged between rounds.

During the rounds, Oom works me at a much higher intensity than I've worked before. We're talking 20 kicks each leg before each round starts.

He wants fight power - 100%. He hits me just as hard.

Before I came over, Jovan told me that he felt my best power was in my knees - they'd be my knockout punch. To date, I've not really had much of a chance to unleash them, so when Oom told me fight power, I felt it was time to let them go.

After the first knee, Oom jumps a mile, stops and yells out in appreciation. Literally all the other trainers stop what they're doing and stand around the ring as Oom directs me to do another, and another. Left knee, Right knee. He yells each time, and the trainers all chant in the same way (if you go to a Muay Thai fight, you'll hear these calls whenever a good hit lands. Sounds kind of like "Oooh Wee!").

Oom taps me and says my knees are very good, very powerful, and he wants me to throw them. We work on a few leaping knees (my favourites) and due to the height difference he's finding them a little overwhelming. I'm stoked tho.

We move onto combos for another couple of rounds before he sends me to the bags for, you guessed it, jumping knees and pushkicks. I do the obligatory 200 of each, before continuing my combo work.

I get tapped on the shoulder by Samart to work some light sparring, and clinching with him.

We work for a few rounds on clinching, some techniques and throws, as well as blocks and saves. The guys in the ring are doing the same but with each other. I'm outside the ring working one on one with the trainer.

Once the others stretch and clear out, Samart and I head into the ring to continue our clinching practice. We do this for half an hour before he tells me to do another 200 situps and stretch.

I do so, and we sit back and have a chat. Tomorrow, he'd like it if I went for a run in the am to "make sweat" but its not necessary if i'm not up for it. I said I'll give it my best. Then he tells me to come late, around 1730 so he can teach me the "Wai Kru" - the ceremonial dance of respect before the fight.

I thank him, stretch, then head home for a shower and dinner.

I down a protein shake, head to get some bbq chicken, and then go back to my usual restaurant for pad siew. I break up the bbq chicken and stir it through. I'm absolutely starving.

After dinner, I make my way down to the net cafe again and grab a few more songs that I had forgotten or were suggested to me.

Its time to go to the city, so I saddle up on my beast, and ride into town.

First stop - my shorts.

I go and see my man, and fuck me my shorts are awesome. Someone had suggested just getting AUS in the same font as my name, instead of the Aussie flag, so I ask if he can do that in time. As its something he can do easily, he guarantees they'll be ready by Wednesday afternoon at the absolute latest. I take a photo, leave them with him, and jump on my bike to head to the boxing stadium to see if my poster is in.

It is! However, it just has me as the headliner - no opponent. I'm still no closer to knowing who i'm fighting!

Alexis, one of the more experienced fighters, is fighting tonight, so I get another cheap ticket and head in.

This time, its totally fucking different. My face is everywhere, everyone who has entered has been given a flyer. And as I walk in, mohawk high, they all look from me to the flyer and back again.

I have waitresses running up to me to take my order (i'm only drinking water), I have people asking me if I'm really going to fight, and asking if I know who I'm fighting.

As I sit in the fighters area, waiting for my gym mates to show up, I'm really aware of all these people continually looking across to me.

You have to keep in mind that gambling in Thailand is illegal, save for gambling on Muay Thai fights. A lot of money changes hands, so I feel that people keep watching me to see how i'm doing. I hold off from stretching my ankle (which is now feeling a little stiff), and sit and wait.

The guys from the gym show up and we're having a regular party. They're drinking beer, me on the water still.

I notice this guy staring me out all night. He's in his fight shorts, tho not wrapped up, so I figure he's in the demonstration during intermission. He's a bit tubby, about 5'8, and has a stupid mullet. And eyes only for me.

I figure he's my opponent, and so I ask Oom. He makes a call to Kob, who comes in from the front gate to confirm he's my opponent.

Immediately the guys start talking tactics. They tell me about his stamina (lasts 1.5 - 2 rounds max), his preferences (r leg kicks), and that he's heavy handed. A bit of a bomber. They tell me to keep well protected in the first round before letting him tire out in the second.

I keep looking over to him to see him burning holes in me with his eyes. He's trying to intimidate me, but its not working. Now that i've seen him, I want a photo of him to familiarise myself with. Unfortunately he's making it hard to do that, so I go back to ignoring him and watching the fights.

The fights are the usual formula, until the intermission. Then my opponent is in the ring for the demonstration - tonight its a light hearted piece to raise money, blind fold boxing. They blindfold the guys and they slap around each other (without hurting one another) for a couple of minutes.

They do this, before leaving the ring and working the crowd with a donation box. Its now that I try to get a decent shot, but he's the other side of the ring. When he comes back, my phone is on video mode, so I only end up with about a second or so of him walking by.

That'll do.

Our guy, Alexis, is up in the main event and we all crowd around to watch it. First round is uneventful, with both guys just taking it easy. Second round comes with a wicked knock out via a left head kick, which leaves the other guy unable to get up for a few minutes.

Everyone congratulates Alexis before heading back. The fellas are off to keep drinking, I'm off to get rest.

Tomorrow is my first rest day before the fight. I've a few little things to do, and the rest of the day is just chilling out.

Then a late training session where I learn the Wai Kru.

I get back to the room, sort out the clean clothes and figure out what I have left, lay out the clothes I need for the fight, and get some sleep.

I'll have someone film it for me, thats for sure. The guys from the gym won't nick it.

Just writing up todays blog now actually, at a net cafe for a few hours before bedtime (unless, of course, I find out that my shorts are ready to be picked up (last minute alterations)).