Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Juggs

My story

Here's part 1!

EDIT: Just got wind of the POTM awards, This thread came out on top!

Edited by krispy89

Pre Fight

After I return from the internet cafe, I head straight back to bed and literally sleep all afternoon. I was thinking about a massage, but decided against it at the last minute.

I slept peacefully all afternoon, and awoke feeling calm and relaxed.

I set about taking care of all the little things that one does before going out - showering, etc, and started packing my bag. Me being me, I packed enough to fight 2 fights (my desired gear, plus a spare set - just in case), and then just sat there, wondering what to do next.

I still had about 20 minutes before I was expected at the gym, so I skype home and speak to my cheersquad.

My alarm goes off on the phone, so its time to leave. I do a quick survey of the room to make sure I've got everything I need, turn out the light, and I'm on my way to the gym.

When I get to the gym, the first thing I see is the big silver bus. Holy shit, they're filling that for my fight? A stack of guys are there waiting already, this is going to be a massive turnout!

We sit around and shoot the shit for a while, everyone is giving me advice and suggestions. I take as much of it in as I can, as I watch Oom head over to the driver. It appears theres something wrong with the bus, so its not going anywhere. Turns out that everyone who rode in is going to have to double someone on the back of their bike.

I'm not expecting this, and not really in the mood, so I hand my keys to one of the trainers, and jump on the back.

We zip through the backstreets of Chiang Mai and get to the stadium with minimal fuss.

As soon as I walk in, I've got people high fiving me, waitresses waving to me, chants of "Aussie Aussie Aussie!" from the Australian contingent in the crowd, and a big hug from the ladyboy at the front counter.

I walk to the fighters section, greet the guys from the gym, and kick back. I'm starting to get pumped, the music and the atmosphere is building up. The place is actually fairly full tonight, many more people than I have seen in the last few times I've been here.

I get sent to the doctor who checks my blood pressure and gives me a quick once over. I sign a waiver, and he gives me the all clear to fight.

The first couple of fights end really early via KO, with the red corner winning. Thats a good sign, as scanning the program I'm in the red corner.

Oom taps me on the shoulder and tells me its time to get to wrapping my hands.

He places two seats together, one in front of the other, and I sit down in the front one facing backwards with my arm resting on the seat back. He goes through about 4 rolls of tape over my hands, taping my right hand up much more solidly than my left.

After he does my right hand, I take the opportunity to look over my shoulder into the ring. Another red KO. The fellas start geeing me up, telling me that I'm going to be up sooner than expected and to get ready. I pop the headphones in, and start to go through the fight in my mind, working combos, strategy, just generally thinking about how I'd like the fight to go.

Once my hands are wrapped, I'm taken to a little table where I'm told to strip down to my undies and lie on the table. There, two of the trainers grease me down with vasoline and then rub the boxing liniment all over me from head to toe, all while giving me a solid massage in the process.

Oom comes over and is holding the box I'm going to be wearing. This thing looks like an old cricket ball, the leather is dry and cracked, but feels like its made from concrete. He puts it on me, and ties it on. Not the most comfortable of things, but then again, neither is copping a kick to the nads.

I get dressed into my shorts and ankles, and start to shadow spar in the corner quietly, again working my combos and moves.

The guys come back with the gloves and tie them on my hands. Theres not a great deal of padding in them, and they're split down one side. They grab the brown packing tape and finish up by taping them to my hands.

Oom comes over with the gyms robe and mongkong. Theres a bit of effort getting the robe over my gloves and onto my greased up body, but we get there in the end. Oom then prays for me, and places the mongkong on my head, then leads me to the chair to wait my turn.

As soon as I sit down, theres another red corner KO. Fuck me, thats every fight tonight.

I've barely got time to collect my thoughts before the guys are ushering me onto my feet and leading me to my corner of the ring...

Mad props, mate! Fucking epic effort.

Final Countdown, hahahaa... nice.

Get the rest of the video up!!

Hahahaa, and POTM -- just the cherry on top, eh. :)

Congrats, man. Now go work your ground game :p

Volunteering as a sparring partner?

I have. :P

-A-

Edited by Ashlar

Dang now it seems that juggs is going into detail right into the fight and after the fight, Im now wishing that I found out the result through reading his posts :(

Massive Congrats on the Fight and POTM and for sharing ur awsome adventure with us, Well Done mate, enjoy them beers u deserve them =]

aw i can't wait to read details of the fight! great first win juggs, congratulations! :)

The Fight

I climb into the ring over the ropes, a manuever I've not yet practiced (having gone through the ropes all the time at training). Its trickier than I thought, but I got it done without face planting. At least that boosts the confidence.

I stand in the corner, collecting my thoughts, unaware that the Ref is behind me waiting to pat me down. I turn, apologise, and he gives me a big smile. He makes sure I've not got a sledgehammer hidden in my shorts, and checks my $5 mouth guard has the structural integrity to cope with the fight.

We come to the centre to touch gloves, then return to begin our Wai Kru.

I start ok, but as soon as I get to the middle of the ring, I start to forget bits and lose balance. The nerves have well and truly kicked in.

As I'm performing the Wai Kru, I am able to pinpoint the bits I'm skipping, and make sure I remember them the next time. At one point I nearly topple over, and give my corner a grin, but they're all smiling and giving me the thumbs up, so I guess its points for trying for me.

As I go to the ropes around the ring, the crowd cheers and chants for me. Theres quite a lot of people here tonight. I focus on nothing as I go to the ropes, to try to keep my mind focussed on the task ahead by ignoring the crowd.

I finally finish the Wai Kru, and forget about the embellishment I was intending on including at the end (Sagats Tiger Punch :P).

We come together in the middle of the ring, touch gloves, and the fight is on.

Round 1

Let me just say this first:

Before my fight, I spoke to many people who have all fought before. I spoke to my trainers, both Rob in Aus, and my trainers at Chay Yai gym. I have spoken to guys like Adam and Cameron, who have both got a number of fights under their belts, who both train like motherfuckers, and were both a great source of advice.

I've read blogs, I spoke to the other fighters at the gym, and they all said the same thing:

In your first fight, no matter how hard you train, technique tends to go out the window.

And fuck me, they weren't wrong.

I remember starting the fight ok. I remember throwing a few combos, jab cross kick, that kind of thing. Nothing flashy, but enough to get him on the back foot.

I remember that first check I was dreading. It wasn't so bad, I didn't feel it - just like everyone told me. Seems that I should stop listening to the rational part of my brain so much.

And from there, I just don't know what happened.

The fight plan was simple. The first round, don't go all out. Fight defensively, take shots when they're open and don't force anything. Conserve energy, because he will no doubt tire out in the second round.

So for the first round, I played it safe. I kept my hands up, I don't recall copping anything worth while, and just let the time run out while I popped him with jabs, a kick or two, and let him tire himself out.

After a while, the bell rang and I ended up going straight to the corner. They were happy enough with it, but now they wanted me to move forward. More combos, more kicks. I had what seemed like 15 people all giving me advice at once, tho most of it meshed. I was picking and choosing what I took out of it, but the messages were the same. Hands up, move forward, don't forget your combos.

They ice me down, rub me down, and generally prepare me for round 2.

Round 2

I don't recall much of this round. I know i found it much harder going. He kept trying to clinch me, and I kept trying to reply with knees, but found it hard to get an opening to do so. I remember getting one or two knees off, but he wasn't trying hard to do the same. He was leaning all over me, trying to sap my energy. At one point, he was leaning so heavily onto me that I tried to throw him, but he's a big boy with a solid base, so I couldn't get him over. It did seperate us, however, and that worked well enough to give me some breathing space.

One thing I was told before the fight is that there is somewhat of a gentlemens agreement when it comes to throwing elbows. Its not a case of you agree not to throw them, but once thrown, expect them to get nastier and nastier.

I recall he threw a couple of elbows in the second round, but they were glancing blows and didn't really trouble me much. However, I was now satisfied in my own mind that next time he came in for the clinch, he was going to eat a left uppercut elbow.

Another thing I have been told many times before the fight, is that elbows are incredibly difficult to throw given their close quarter nature, and even harder to land. Well, I couldn't even fucking throw one. However, each time he came forward, I popped him with the jab, and tried to peel off a cross as well - but he kept coming over the top of my right arm which made that fairly ineffective.

So each time he came in for the clinch, I'd pull him to me and hold him tight. I'd keep our hips together so he couldn't knee, figuring if I couldn't get into a good position to knee, I'm sure as shit not going to let him either. Aware he was trying to mug my energy, I held and breathed slowly waiting for the ref to break us up. At one stage, I even remembered to trap both his arms under my elbows and press down on his knees. That fucked him.

The round ended, and was fairly unspectacular. My corner was concerned about my lack of combos, but were happy with my conditioning. The plan was coming together tho - round 2, I'm not too tired, and he's starting to gas. Now I've gotta get my shit together and start actually fighting like I've been training.

They ring the bell, and we meet in the middle again.

Round 3

We touch gloves, and immediately he throws a right head kick that I manage to mostly avoid. When I say mostly avoid, he missed me with the brunt of the kick, but he still managed to get my upside the eye - which is now swollen and in my field of view.

I heard the crowd booing loudly at this point, and while I immediately felt angry, this voice in my head kept saying "cool it, cool it". So I came after him, stalking him.

I remember again, finding it hard to get an opening to throw combos. I remember I threw a few more kicks than before, and I could see it in his eyes that he was getting tired everytime I caught him flush in the face with a punch.

I remember trying to step it up a notch in this fight, but he started swinging wildly. It got really messy, really fast, with my trying desperately to get my head away from his knees. I simply remember him throwing overhand punches, and me ducking away from them, but ending under his armpit. A really bad place to be, for more reasons than one.

I remember throwing the only elbow I managed of the entire fight, which was an attempt at a reverse elbow when my head was low and I couldn't push him off. I couldn't tell you if it connected or not, but he let me go pretty quickly.

He's well gassed now, and I'm blowing heavily but am able to keep going. He steps back for a second to take a breath, and instead of jumping in to finish him, I find myself doing the same.

We come together again, trade a few blows, and end up on the ropes. I try for my biggest combo yet - jab cross hook uppercut, landing all but the uppercut. Shame really, he'd have landed in the third row if it connected :(

Either way, he looks dazed.

I step in closer with the jab, ready to set up another combo, but he tries for the clinch again, and I jab him solidly on the jaw. I hear a grunt, and see a funny look in his eyes. I line up an uppercut to finish him off, but he's already fallen into me. I drop him to the ground, not 100% sure but I think he was out for a moment there.

I stand back, trying to figure out whats going on, oblivious to my corner calling me back to the neutral corner.

I finally retreat, and watch as he refuses to get back up and is counted out.

Thats it - the fights over. I'd won.

I raise the hands, suddenly absolutely exhausted, and head to his corner to thank them. I come back to mine where my guys are cheering loudly. A chant of "Aussie Aussie Aussie" goes up, which gets a smile out of me.

I wait until he's standing again, and thank him for the fight. We hug, and move to our seperate corners.

Part 3 is up:

Part 4 is up:

Edited by krispy89

After the fight

Outside the ring, everyone is cheering loudly and back slapping me. At first I felt that they wouldn't be as happy, given that I know I failed to pull off any combos worth noting, but that thought lasted all of a second.

Everyone was hugging me, back slapping me, taking photos, and talking all at once. It was well and truly overwhelming.

The guys were all aware that I didn't perform as well as I'd have liked, but each and every one of them were quick to point out that it was my first fight - and that I'm not to forget that. They all went through the same thing, and theres a million fucking miles between what you do in training, be it bags, pads or sparring (where the guy isn't trying to knock you out) and what you do in the ring.

Keep your head up, chalk it up to experience, and go and celebrate is the theme of the night. And fuck it, I will.

Randoms from the crowd come up and want photos with me. Aussies want to know where I'm from. Everyone is hugely supportive and proud of me, especially when they find out its my first fight.

I've got a face like a split watermelon, I'm smiling so hard. I'm shaking, I'm exhausted, and I'm starting to hurt, but I feel like a million bucks.

I'm careful not to sweat all over those who want hugs and photos, but they're not concerned with that and pull me in nice and close for the photo. I manage to get some photos on my camera as well.

My trainers break in amongst them love in, and start to remove the gloves and unwrap me. I'm not able to keep the gloves, but I keep my wraps - they're both shells of the back of my hands. I'll frame them, along with the poster and the program.

Matt, the Aussie I met on the plane to Chiang Mai, comes over to me and gives me a big hug. He saw the posters around the place and made sure he came to see me. He introduced me to his mate, who immediately offered to buy a beer. Asking if I had a preference, I simply said "Anything as long as its cold". We laugh, he goes off to get my beer, and I'm chatting with Matt who's immensely proud of my effort. He's still in the middle of his training at the moment too, but unfortunately I'm not going to be around to see his fight.

The beer comes back and I suck it down greedily. Its my first one in a while, and fuck it feels good.

We chat for a while before they head off, promising to come back the following night for more beers and to support Brad, the other Aussie, who's fighting.

The guys from the gym all say their goodbyes and start heading off. My trainers give me the the water bucket to carry, and so I head to the bike to be chauffered home.

I'm held up momentarily by another line of people who were waiting patiently for photos. I pose for what seems like another dozen photos, before finally making my way back to the bike where Ayum (sp?) is waiting for me patiently.

He jumps up front with the briefcase between his knees, I hop on the back with my beer and the water bucket.

He gets us out onto the streets of Chiang Mai, and we ride home without any dramas.

Once we arrive at the gym, the guys are all sitting around waiting for us. I give them each 100 baht for their efforts, which I make them promise to spend on beer. They all agree, and we sit back for a moment while Ayum goes to check out if the local bar is open. It is, so we all pile on the back of the bikes and we head to the bar.

I shout the 4 of us to a bottle of whiskey, and we all sit around drinking until well past closed. The women running the bar are happy to keep it open with a tip, and provide us with underripe mangos sliced up like chips (they taste great with salt!). Ayum gets some soda water for the guys (with a whole fucking pallet because they ran out of large bottles and wouldn't let him split the pallet). We drink half of the soda water, and I donate the rest to the boys and the gym. all up it costs me 10 bux, what the fuck do i care? I just won my first fight!

I quickly skype home to share the good news, because I know my fiancee will be waiting up for me (even if it is nearly 0400). Danielle and Morris are still awake and are overjoyed to find out I came out of it ok. :)

I send them to bed, and go back to the bar where we watched the video and critqued it.

Now, I'm not going to be one of those people who does something to be proud of, yet will knock it for the compliments that usually follow (e.g. "what are you talking about? You were awesome!" etc).

However, it doesn't mean I'm not going to honestly critique the video, as I know many others will as well.

My biggest issues that I took from the video were:

1) Lack of combos (but I didn't need the video to know that).

2) I was flat footed a lot of the time. My back foot needs to be up.

3) I kept going backwards. I didn't go forward enough, especially when I had him tired.

4) My checks weren't high enough.

There are other issues, but those were the ones that immediately stood out to me. Again, the trainers all slapped me on the back and told me not to fret about it. I had won my first fight, now I have to learn my lesson from it and train to be better.

They're 100% right, so I banish all negative thoughts out of my head as we all charge our glasses and I thank the guys for their efforts not just tonight, but over the last couple of weeks.

We finally finish the bottle, and we all head home. I quickly wander down the road for something to eat, as I'm absolutely starving. A quick plate of pork, chicken and rice (absolutely fucking smothered in chilli) was the order, which i thoroughly enjoyed even tho the 7-11 was unable to sell me a beer (they have time restrictions as to when they can sell alcohol).

I finish up, and head home. I jump into the shower and give myself a full scrub down with the antibac soap.

I dry off, and apply all sorts of creams to my body to combat brusing, lumps, and eventually to numb the pain thats starting to creep in.

I call home, and talk to my Fiancee for a little bit longer before she heads off. She's packing her bags today, as she flies out to Hong Kong tonight (her first leg of the trip to come and see me in Phuket on Friday).

I lay down to get some sleep, but even tho I'm exhausted, I still have adrenalin coursing through my veins.

I read The Fifth Elephant for a while before finally managing to drop off to sleep.

Straight after the fight:

Posted Image

One of the many photos I posed for after the fight (fellow Aussies too!)

Posted Image

At the bar with Oom (left) and Samart "Mr 1 Million Pushups" (right)

Posted Image

Fantastic write-up, mate! (Finally got breathing space at work to read it all.)

Now to watch it (as soon as 5 is up, heh). :D

So fucken proud of your work.

Respect, brother.

-A-

And a few more:

Getting wrapped by Oom

Posted Image

Some of the fellas from the gym

Posted Image

Thanks everyone.

And POTM? Awesome! :) Thanks for that too :D

Part 5 is now live:

A quick plate of pork, chicken and rice (absolutely fucking smothered in chilli) was the order, which i thoroughly enjoyed even tho the 7-11 was unable to sell me a beer (they have time restrictions as to when they can sell alcohol).

WTF?!?

A 7-11 selling alcohol?!?

I can only wonder when that'll come down here :P

Chris mate. What a great read! Congratulations mate, a well deserved win!

**Takes note not to cross Chris in the future** lol ;)

Part 5 is now live:

A quick plate of pork, chicken and rice (absolutely fucking smothered in chilli) was the order, which i thoroughly enjoyed even tho the 7-11 was unable to sell me a beer (they have time restrictions as to when they can sell alcohol).

WTF?!?

Its fairly common. Hell, go to the ACT (and I will assume NT as well) and you can buy beer from a corner shop.

In the USA you can buy beer from 7-11 all day long. Here in Thailand, you can buy all sorts of grog (tho they usually only stock beer, tart fuel and cheap whiskey) from between (going from memory) 1100-1500 and 1700-2400.

You know me, I'm nice and playful :P

Edited by Juggs

Part 5 is now live:

WTF?!?

Its fairly common. Hell, go to the ACT (and I will assume NT as well) and you can buy beer from a corner shop.

In the USA you can buy beer from 7-11 all day long. Here in Thailand, you can buy all sorts of grog (tho they usually only stock beer, tart fuel and cheap whiskey) from between (going from memory) 1100-1500 and 1700-2400.

You know me, I'm nice and playful :P

In bed maybe, but see I don't know about that.

*waits for a tongue lashing from cheeky**

So Juggs when do you get to doing the stuff in this?

8-P

EDIT: also grats on the fight!

Edited by psyckle

Just got home from work and watched all the fight clips , not too shabby first time up.

No surprise the other chap didn't want to get up, you gave him a couple of good straight drives to the head, a little while before you spun him into the mat.

'Onya Juggs ... putting yourself out there and doing the real {:-)

pretty sweet for your first fight, mate.....and you won!

he would've been difficult to do anything with, all that clinching and leaning all over you would've made any combos hard at best to put together. you did well.

this has to be POTM....the first one that's been interesting for months, all that commitment - had me in!

;)