gabber

Gabber's Photos

@ smenk ; thanks. It was a very foggy night/morning and the grain made it feel a bit more like the mood was.

@ mj ; thanks! the non-l 100mm macro is a seriously good quality lens. I'm also starting to try and improve my post-processing.

I also have ended up getting myself a 5D Classic! Got the email this morning stating that it's with the driver but it's like the afternoon and he still isn't here! Argh. The anticipation is killing me. Mmmm, full frame sweetness...

^ Hehe ^ Tis what I said to the wife as a joke only she didn't find it too funny :)

Though the plan is that I'd like to get into portraiture in the near(ish) future. Just have to get more comfortable with this new (to me) beast. And I'd like to have a better grasp on speed-lighting as well.

Edit ; The first shot with my always willing and able model...

Posted Image

Eva Pilot Mari by Photo By GR, on Flickr

Edited by gabber

The wait is over...

Posted Image

This Classic Has A New Home by Photo By GR, on Flickr

congrats! now go out and take pics of hot bikini models with your new 5D and 85L :D

Excellent. It is an old camera but well worth it.

I bought a 5D (second hand) about 2 years ago, a 7D and a 1D (Classic)(second hand).

I wanted the 5D because it was full frame.

I wanted the 7D because it takes awesome video.

I wanted the 1D to expeariance a full manual expeariance and have a pro camera I could bash about. (Got it cheap)

I have to say, the best photos I have ever taken are with the 5D. The 7D has some nice features but just does not cut it. The night photos on my 5D are great (being full frame). I do get some hot pixels at high ISO but in all, it was an awesome purchase.

The 7D has become my part time camera when I want to take average photos and not think too hard. The video on it is still awesome (Even better now the new firmware fixes the audio).

The 1D is only when I really want to learn or re-learn camera controls and not stray into any auto feature at all. I hardly use it.

The best investment I ever made was the 5D. You will really enjoy it. (now just get yourself a good flash unit)

I've already got a 580EX II Speedlite, with an off-camera cable and a pair of rf triggers. Just need a softbox of some type (so many to chose from) and some gels.

After not even one day messing around with it I'm in love. The viewfinder is just a huge upgrade coming from the 500D. Not to mention the size. My pinkie finger doesn't just hang freely from the bottom, it actually wraps around the grip! I also really dig the shutter slap :)

Got the 85L delivered this morning. I have never used a lens like this. I'm having a blast getting to know it.

f1.2, 1/2000, ISO 100

Posted Image

International Series At f1.2 by Photo By GR, on Flickr

get yourself a high precision screen for fast aperture lenses, canon should sell one for the 5d classic i believe

gives more accurate dof through viewfinder which makes focusing much more pleasant particularly if you plan to manual focus at all, only downside if you use f/4 or slower lenses viewfinder does become darker

also for off camera flash you should have a look at the yongnuo radio triggers, bought mine off ebay for like 60-70 bux, works amazingly well, absolute bargain too considering it's a pair of transceivers

here's a review

Way ahead of you bbf. Got myself a pair of the 603's a while back :) Really good bang for buck compared to PocketWizards and the like. At least half of the flash stuff I've been doing lately has been off camera. It's good fun messing around with flash if you can be bothered :p

I'm also contemplating the manual focus screen (the Es-S), seeing as the only lenses I have that work on the 5D have apertures no slower than f2.8.

5D + 85L @1.2 = Magic...

Posted Image

Sleeping Beauty by Photo By GR, on Flickr

yea OCF is definitely the way to go, like you said if you can be bothered to learn and setup lol

when i had the 60D i swapped out for the high precision screen as well and loved it, particularly for macro which made it so much more pleasant

it's one thing i miss with the 5D3, you can get after market one but more complicated to replace and don't want to screw it up and kill the camera lol

I've got the MkII and used to have a 50D as well. As soon as I got comfortable with the 5D I never used the 50D again. It is a truly fantastic camera. The video on my MKII is pants wettingly amazing, but I really with it had 60fps...

-X

I'd love 35mm digital video! Alas I have to make due with the 720p video from the 500D. Seeing as how impressed I am with the 720p stuff (using prime lenses), I can only imagine how awesome the video from the mk II & III would be.

it's one thing i miss with the 5D3, you can get after market one but more complicated to replace and don't want to screw it up and kill the camera lol

I'd do same and leave it well alone :) Especially with a new mk III!

So magical the 5Dc + 85L combo. I could never get this kind of 'pop' from my 500D no matter how hard I tried.

f1.2, 1/1600, ISO 100

Posted Image

My Cutie Pie by Photo By GR, on Flickr

Not too mention how the background just gets blown away into fantastic bokeh!...

f1.2, 1/1000, ISO 100

Posted Image

Bright Outside by Photo By GR, on Flickr

Edited by gabber

It's a seriously fantastic lens. I've got an Hoya 3-stop ND filter coming for it so as to shoot at 1.2 during the bright parts of the day as well. Luckily when I fire off 3-5 shots of the moving kids one of them is in focus, which makes it so worth it. The backgrounds just melt.

It's at least as sharp wide open as the 100mm macro is wide open. The only reason to stop it down is purely to get more of the subject in focus instead of needing more sharpness. Love it. And yes, from one end of the focus scale to the other, the af is slow (compared to my 70-200 f4L). But I put that down to physics and all that glass needing to moved ever so slightly to maintain accurate focus at really thin dof.

So yeah, long story short, I really like it a lot :)