Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Count

Achievements Whores

I'll confess, I'm an achievement whore, I don't think i've gotten my money's worth till I see 1000g next to the game, and I'll be frank, achievements on XBox games really do make them last longer (at least compared to PC games... Valve and TF2 in particular).

So, who else among us shares the dirty little secret of liking a maxed g game on their Xbox account?

Also, anyone wanna work on the multiplayer achievements for Gears of War 1 ;)

I'm definitely... a sucker for them.

I may be keen to get stuck into some of the GoW2 multi achievements at some stage.

I feel they extend game time / game play for some games, but I feel they're also ridiculously stupid in others (Gears of War, kill 100,000 guys?)

yeah I like em on my phone (WP7) :p

I think achievements are the most pointless things that have ever been added to games.

I don't need someone to tell me when I have achieved something.

if I'm playing a game, I like to see how many i can get without trying, and then see how many more I can get by trying. I never aim for 100%

I did achievements recently for Portal 2 to get 48/50. The other 2 like 'professor portal' and the 'hug 3 other friends' achievements was just stupid to get.

Most of the other time I don't really bother, its only if I really enjoy the game to really go for those achievements, otherwise its not worth trying. Might be a different story if achieving the achievements can award you a free game like Windows for Live ( I think ).

I am a little bit, but there used to be an Atomican here (The End) who just out did almost everyone on my list ... like 34000 or something stupidly high.

I think that even beats Ug Lee's!

I did for a while. I went from 7000 to 15000 in a year thanks to some friends in Cairns. They are on 30000 and 48000 points.

I like the achievements that that challenge me to do things I didn't think of. I got all 1000 in Assassins Creed 2. I didn't think about stealing a guards spear and sweeping a large group of them with it (the achievement says 9 guards swept. I did 11 to get it) or throwing dirt into 5 guards faces in one go. I didn't even know you could do that!

Some are funny. Lego Harry Potter - Hide in a barrel as Prof. Snape gets you the "Solid Snape" achievement.

Aside from achievements related to the story, quite a number of them are stupid. The Simpsons gives 5 points for Pressing Start.

btw for the achievement whores - Avatar The Last Airbender - The Burning Earth: you can get all 1000 within the first few minutes of the game during the tutorial. ;)

I don't have a 360, so I'll replace achievements with trophies... but either way, I don't really care about them.

I also pay absolutely zero attention to achievements on PC games via Steam and GFWL.

I look through the trophy list when I get a new PS3 game, but I never really go out of my way to try and get any of them.

If I get one, I get one, if not... then, boo-hoo. It detracts nothing from the game and I couldn't care less about my username 'score', or whatever.

I'm not into e-penis.

I don't go out of my way to get achievements like this person is - http://www.1milliongamerscore.com/

I like hunting for achievements, it adds a little bit extra to a game. I used to chase down all the TF2 cheevos but don't really play that much anymore.

I pretty much just play StarCraft 2 now. The single player achievements are very easy to get as are the AI ones. The multi player cheevos... they are a different story and if I get them, cool, but if not, I don't really care. Blizzard recently used the banhammer on portrait farming players in StarCraft 2, which is a good move, but I miss my free wins on the ladder ;)

I'm not into e-penis.

Just into penis eh?

:O

How did you know?

Did asking you for photos tip you off?

Damn! I need to re-think my strategy!

I see no value in the majority of them.

I liked the old point system in RPG games like the Sierra & LucasArts ones, because they represent actual events in the game - you can get a general feel of how far into the game you are, and whether you missed side quests or interesting things or not. Acheivements are for the most part "you reached a point in the game" or "you did something many, many times". They give you no idea whether or not it's important or interesting, often giving achievements for stuff like starting the game, or going through the tutorial. They don't give you any indication of where you are in the game. Collecting badges/coins/headshots doesn't tell you anything new or interesting - even the Doom y/x secrets discovered thing at least represented something you could actually get something out of: weapons, ammo, etc. The achievement represents nothing.

*shrug*

The only achievements I like are ones that unlock something, like the Dead Rising kill 43,000 zombies one that gives you a nice weapon.

whoops, walked into a console thread it seems, my bad

yeah, but you don't accumulate arbitrary points in Steam.

In the early days of TF2 I used to be right into achievements to unlock gear.

But now they just give gear away randomly I couldn't give a rats about them now.

I've been known to occassionally get wound up about achievements.

I've persevered through Alone in the Dark on Xbox to 1k it.

I've gone through Mass Effect 1 several times just cause I was that close to 1king it from playing normally

./wrist

I don't usually go out of my way to complete a game unless it's very good.

I think I have about 5 games 'Completed' on my 360. The 2 fallout games and the 2 masseffect games. And 1 or 2 more.

Other than that I tend to just play through a game once.

I am working on the various Lego Star Wars achieves at the moment, because the game is pretty good and the achievements give me ideas of other things to try that I wouldn't have thought to do otherwise. I'm like 95% of the way through that one.

I think New Vegas was the most frustrating one to do, having to play through that damn game 3 times was terrible. I think the hardest for me personally was the Insanity ones on ME and ME2. Those were very umm... hard sometimes. Like the majority was good, and then you'd get to 1 fight that I'd spend ages on trying to do different strats till I found one that worked. It was a nice sense of accomplishment though when I was done.

EDIT: I do play World of Warcraft, and I do find myself going after achievements in there though. I wish they were account wide. But they're character linked still. :\

Edited by GhostWhoWalks

yeah, but you don't accumulate arbitrary points in Steam.

Dont see the differance between acheivements that come with points or not except maybe reaching a particular score 10,000, 100,000 can be an achievement in itself?

I know I cheered a little when I cracked the 10k for no real reason.