Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
NukeJockey

[Multiplat]Hitman: Absolution

Looks like lo interactive are indeed working on their next Hitman game, Absolution.

Not much is known about it at this time, but as a lover of all the 4 previous Hitman games, I'm really looking forward to this, expect a big reveal at this years E3, with (hopefully) some gameplay footage.

While theres not much to discuss here, maybe we can talk about the other hitman games, do you love them or hate them? Why?

Personally I've loved all 4 of them, Contracts was probably my least favourite (and the media's least favourite from what I can gather) but it still kept that awesome Hitman style.

Assuming they don't turn Absolution into a run and gun shooter, the next installment should be killer.

Thoughts?

I've only played Blood Money, and found it quite enjoyable especially how you could do the different hits in a style that fitted how you wanted to play, eg you could run and gun if you really wanted to or you could be the stealthy assassin that only killed your targets. One thing that I thought was missing and hope they put into the next game is the ability to build/lay down traps of some kind, and maybe a mission of two were I can properly use the sniper rifle.

Looks like lo interactive are indeed working on their next Hitman game, Absolution.

Not much is known about it at this time, but as a lover of all the 4 previous Hitman games, I'm really looking forward to this, expect a big reveal at this years E3, with (hopefully) some gameplay footage.

Assuming they don't turn Absolution into a run and gun shooter, the next installment should be killer.

Giving them winning formulae they currently use, I really dont think they'd change a unique very successful franchise into a another run and gun.

I'm concerned about the "Personal journey" alluded to in the atomic article.

Anyway I hope there is less mindless shooting and more operating like an assassin in order to get an opportunity to get the kill on your target.

For me the best int he series was the first one.

Edited by Bundy

Giving them winning formulae they currently use, I really dont think they'd change a unique very successful franchise into a another run and gun.

Yeah hopefully. What has me worried (and I know lo have nothing to do with it at all) is the way the Splinter Cell series headed, alot of that was just flat out shooting instead of stealth, which annoyed me.

I've only played Blood Money, and found it quite enjoyable especially how you could do the different hits in a style that fitted how you wanted to play, eg you could run and gun if you really wanted to or you could be the stealthy assassin that only killed your targets. One thing that I thought was missing and hope they put into the next game is the ability to build/lay down traps of some kind, and maybe a mission of two were I can properly use the sniper rifle.

There was plenty of that in Blood Money, reb1rth and I were talking about 1 particular mission last night, the Opera one, where we both completed it in completely different ways, both using stealth and traps.

I always sucked at these hitman games, they reminded me a bit of a hybrid where splinter cell meets third person shooter well the ones I played ages ago did.

I always sucked at these hitman games, they reminded me a bit of a hybrid where splinter cell meets third person shooter well the ones I played ages ago did.

They very much were. However if played correctly, you never even had to fire a bullet.

There was plenty of that in Blood Money, reb1rth and I were talking about 1 particular mission last night, the Opera one, where we both completed it in completely different ways, both using stealth and traps.

By traps I meant ones that I could plant were ever I wanted rather than just stick a mine to something to drop another thing, something like rigging a door to explode when opened or a trip wire.

By traps I meant ones that I could plant were ever I wanted rather than just stick a mine to something to drop another thing, something like rigging a door to explode when opened or a trip wire.

Ah yeah, that would make things quite interesting, although not exactly in line with Agent 47's style.

Yeah I liked trying to finish the games without guns where possible, always found the garrote a really satisfying way to take someone down.

Yeah I liked trying to finish the games without guns where possible, always found the garrote a really satisfying way to take someone down.

I was big on the needles myself.

Finally, I have been waiting so long!

I don't know how many times I replayed blood money, probably my favourite game of the last decade.

I just hope they don't change too much in this next release.

I don't think the hitman series has ever lived up to the original game. There were moments in Hitman 2, and Contracts, that came close to the surgical precision, or the clinical ruthlessness of the original game's universe. This, coupled with the failed launches of the Kane & Lynch franchise, leaves me not particularly hopeful. That said, Square Enix seem to know what they're doing, putting the time and investment necessary into Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and Thief 4, so maybe the future is bright after all.

Square Enix seem to know what they're doing

You what?

You know, if you didn't complain about EVERYTHING ever made, I might be to take you seriously one day.

News

New Hitman Games Links With Movie, Stars A Carradine

retweet

By Luke Plunkett on May 12, 2011 at 7:45 PM

The latest game in the Hitman series, Absolution, is taking the series in a slightly different direction than longtime fans may be used to, as publishers Square Enix seek to tie the games in with the upcoming movie.

“We’ve designed a more stylised, more serious and darker game this time around in both the story line and the visuals,” game director Tore Blystad tells The Hollywood Reporter. “The hope is that the movie will be going in a similar direction, and then when they both come out they will speak the same language. They won’t follow the old Hitman games, but rather go with this newer direction.”

That movie is the second Hitman film, in production oblivious to the fact the first one sucked. On the bright side is the fact this new flick has all new characters and an all-new story, making a clean break from the first movie. It will, however, share the same “look and feel” of the new game, tying the two together.

Back to the game, it’s going to star Keith Carradine (not the dead one and not the Revenge of the Nerds one, either) as Agent 47 and White Collar’s Marsha Thomason as long-time “voice in the ear” Diana, while mo-cap work was done at Giant Studios, the same place James Cameron used for Avatar. Both actors provide both the voice and mo-cap work for their characters.

Square Enix seem to know what they're doing

You what?

You know, if you didn't complain about EVERYTHING ever made, I might be to take you seriously one day.

Hey, I don't complain about everything! I loved Hitman Blood Money, for instance. Looked great, played great, was fucking hard to play 'perfectly' giving good replay value. I can't fault it. If they can release another game like it with more advanced everything, I'd be a happy man.

"They won’t follow the old Hitman games, but rather go with this newer direction.”

I'm a bit sceptical about this though. What was WRONG with the old Hitman games? Square Enix haven't made a good... anything since FFX, and many would say that's debatable (I love it). Making it to tie in with a movie sounds like a bad idea, because there hasn't been a single good 'game movie'. Maybe Tomb Raider? I can't really remember that though. But if someone WAS to make a decent game movie, I guess designing a game and movie to work together from the get-go is about the only way to do it. Certainly beats making movie adaptions years later with crew who've never played the game, or hastily released game adaptions of movies to cash in quick.

Edited by Harmonic Cacophony