Sign in to follow this  
Morgoth

Updating the loop!

Okay, for those who haven't seen/read about my loop, here's the build thread which has the loop build towards the end.

The loop was:

MCP655 (D5) pump

Swiffy Apogee XT CPU block

Swiffy MCW60-rev1 GPU block

Swiffy MCW80 GPU block

Radiical 360.3 radiator

Aquacomputer 240.2 radiator

3m of Masterkleer 7/16" tubing

Swiffy Microres

Cooling i7-950 and two Geforce GTX480's.

I wasn't getting desired temperatures (still decent, but not optimal) and was unhappy with the restriction in a multiblock loop that the XT pin matrix design blocks introduced. (XT and MCW80 bases)

Also after remounting the XT a few times, the mounting screws were stripping on both backplates I had, so this was the final straw.

I hunted down the CPU block I was after, which isn't easy to get, and is a monster. The Heatkiller 3.0 CU full copper, pretty damn heavy and a good block.

After Dasa pointed out to me the difference between MCW60 rev1 and rev2 GPU blocks, I decided to hunt some down and retire the new MCw80 and the rev1 MCW60.

FYI the rev differences are a finer fin design in the rev2, but not even close to being as restrictive as the ~240pin matrix design of the mcw80/XT base.

After picking up the Heatkiller for something like $50, and the two rev2 MCW60's for ~$70, things were looking good.

I decided my old Radiical 360 was a bit old, good condition but it was looking more and more like a budget slim radiator as time went on, it has a pretty high FPI which is good because I prefer high pressure fans, but I found a Feser TFX X-Changer 360 for like $50 which is basically the same FPI and much thicker, more like a new style rad.

My D5 pump was proving less than optimal for my 3 block/2rad loop, so I purchased a 2week old DDC/MCP655 18w pump for $70 and purchased brand new an EK Xres 100 DDC top for it.

With all this goodness I have now reconstructed the loop, replaced the GPU blocks (really annoying FYI) and discovered my biggest dumbass in the history of my watercooling life.....

The base of the MCW80 still had the protective film on it! I meant to remove it before placing the block on, but obviously when I was testing the fit I forgot to remove it and redo! Fark! the paste on the GPU die was crispy-ish and I was kind of relieved because it could explain some of the odd temperatures I was experiencing, or at least not helping thermal transfer much at all!

Other than that, my GPU mounts were almost perfect the first time, so I knew I had something right, the second time around with the new blocks was faster for sure, knowing how much pressure I needed. (decent amount actually)

Fitted it all last night, new radiator and all, recut and fitted some new tubing and the result looks much better, having the res-pump in one place eliminates a whole chunk of the loop, heaps neater and less restriction I guess, well less travel anyway.

I'm leak testing right now, looking good so far, and fucking hell I can tell you, that DDC with EK top is MUCH faster than the D5 I was using, just insane the pressure it has and it even got me thinking that my 5+year old D5 was likely to be 3/4 fucked.

Handy tip: use a spare POS psu to run the pump with the system off, by bridging the green pin with a black one with a piece of wire in the atx plug, put some paper-towel under tube connections incase of leaks and always check them closely, I used a bright torch.

Here's some pictures, I'll leave the loop another half-hour then fire the PC up, the bubbles took all of about 30 seconds to bleed out and no leaks yet. 7/16" tubing is so damn tight that you'd need something like triple pumps to worry about leaking problems, 3/4 of my loop has no cable ties, no clamps or anything.

Note: 1/2" tubing isn't the same, you need clamps :P

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

edit: Made a dumbass of myself again, the barbs on the GPU blocks must have loosened just a tad when forcing the tubing on (7/16" requires heated tube and lots of force to get on ::P)

In any case a barb on each block was leaking very slightly, I twisted the tubing and tightened them up, should be enough, new towel will tell if it leaks again

What an improvement!

Just ran a crysis benchmark and one GPU maxxed 36C and the other 40C and the CPU@4GHz hit 41/39/43/37

Looking good! GPU's temps are much lower,

looks great and a nice big drop in temps to

yer those barbs twisting when pushing on tight hose can happen all to easy :)

your not the first and wont be the last to leave those protective things on a waterblock when installing it

Running crysis benchmark with both cards at 1138mv 900 core, temps didnt go over 40C, infact I think one hit 40, the other like 36-40.

This is kicking arse now, happy with it

Edited by Morgoth

I left the protective film on one of my MCW80 GPU blocks when I installed, probably for the same reason you did, was only a 5c disparity between cards though.

I used 3/8" tube on my loop and it took a little bit of coaxing to get on. I made Dasa do it :P

Also, that pump is a DDC/355, not a 655, the 655 is the D5 :P (which after re-reading the OP you know, so obviously a typo :P)

Having a res/pumptop all-in-one is awesome. I love my dual bay res, hope your EK res works out well for you, I've decided I'm not a fan of EK gear anymore.

Your GPU temps are fairly similar to mine on colder days, but my CPU is still a hot POS.

Any reason for the pinkish hue in the water? I'm guessing its to do with coolant/dye you had in the last loop? Mine did the same thing, disappeared after a few days though, I'm assuming its sitting in a block somewhere, gunking it all up. Expensive coolant/dyes are still useless for watercooling, I paid $15 for 5mls of Grade A dye, it was supposed to be candy apple red, turned purple after a week or so and when Dasa and I took the blocks apart it was a mess.

Even tried some Nulon premixed coolant ($10/l) and that did the same shit. I've come to the conclusion that the space the water needs to push through is just too tight for coolants/dyes.

Running crysis benchmark with both cards at 1138mv 900 core, temps didnt go over 40C, infact I think one hit 40, the other like 36-40.

This is kicking arse now, happy with it

Glad to hear it mate! 40c is extremely 'cool', pun intended! The new radiator looks a ton more capable than your old one.

That heatkiller CPU block looks damn nice as well!

Thanks!

The heatkiller is about 4 times heavier than the XT, so much copper!

I like that block and there's only good reports about it

I left the protective film on one of my MCW80 GPU blocks when I installed, probably for the same reason you did, was only a 5c disparity between cards though.

I used 3/8" tube on my loop and it took a little bit of coaxing to get on. I made Dasa do it :P

Also, that pump is a DDC/355, not a 655, the 655 is the D5 :P (which after re-reading the OP you know, so obviously a typo :P)

Having a res/pumptop all-in-one is awesome. I love my dual bay res, hope your EK res works out well for you, I've decided I'm not a fan of EK gear anymore.

Your GPU temps are fairly similar to mine on colder days, but my CPU is still a hot POS.

Any reason for the pinkish hue in the water? I'm guessing its to do with coolant/dye you had in the last loop? Mine did the same thing, disappeared after a few days though, I'm assuming its sitting in a block somewhere, gunking it all up. Expensive coolant/dyes are still useless for watercooling, I paid $15 for 5mls of Grade A dye, it was supposed to be candy apple red, turned purple after a week or so and when Dasa and I took the blocks apart it was a mess.

Even tried some Nulon premixed coolant ($10/l) and that did the same shit. I've come to the conclusion that the space the water needs to push through is just too tight for coolants/dyes.

Thanks I just spotted the typo then!

Yes draining the loop was hard, so some old fluid stayed put, not really concerned atm though.

The GPU temps are mental, even in pretty normal ambients of 20+, it doesn't get bothered, stock or 900@1138mv. Very glad I did it.

I suspect my D5 had some serious flow problems with that loop.