King_TriTAN

Modern Warfare 3

Kotaku has the scoop.

Brian Crecente — Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 is coming Nov. 8, 2011, Kotaku has learned, delivering with it mammoth battles that engulf a dozen cities around the world including New York, Paris and London.

Multiple sources have shared details of the game's story, art, sounds and game modes with Kotaku, noting that the game will reshape the landscape of the Call of Duty franchise, bringing an impressive number of eclectic settings, deep multiplayer gaming and a story that ties up nearly all loose ends from previous titles, including the final moments of key figures in the series' history.

While we haven't seen the game in action ourselves, we've gone to great lengths to nail down as much as possible the veracity of our sources. We believe that the imagery and chief details are accurate. That doesn't mean things can't change before release, but this appears to be a full run down of where Infinity Ward, Sledgehammer Games and Raven Software is on Modern Warfare 3 as they add the final polishing touches.

The Modern Warfare 3 Files: Exclusive First Details on the Biggest Game of 2011The game opens moments after the cliffhanger ending of Modern Warfare 2 with the U.S. struggling to stave off a surprise Russian attack. The single-player campaign will ping-pong players around the world as they take on the multiple throwaway roles as a Russian Federal Protective Services agent, SAS Operative, tank gunner, and AC-130 gunner as well as key characters from previous installments and new recurring characters. The game will feature about 15 missions, kicking off with the invasion of Manhattan by a Russian force and wrapping up with a final encounter in Dubai.

The plot, as described, seems to be keeping with developer Infinity Ward's habit of delivering complex, short sequences punctuated by lots of gunfire and scene changes. The game also has players take control of several vehicles, returning gamers to the AC-130 gunship as a gunner and plopping them down in a tank as part of a U.S. Armored Division.

The Modern Warfare 3 Files: Exclusive First Details on the Biggest Game of 2011The single-player campaign, which appears to wrap up most of the unanswered questions and character fates of the first two Modern Warfare titles, also introduces new characters who appear to be destined for future Modern Warfare games, especially two Delta Force operatives codenamed "Frost" and "Sandman".

Multiplayer in the game returns with a chunky list of playable maps as well as two types of Spec Ops modes: "Survival" and "Mission".

Activision, the series' publisher, still hasn't officially unveiled any details about the game, though executives have said that a new Call of Duty game was coming this year. Last year's Call of Duty: Black Ops, developed by Treyarch, sold more than 7 million copies in the first 24 hours and within six weeks reached $1 billion in sales.

We've contacted Activision for comment and will update the story when and if they provide reaction.

http://kotaku.com/5801226/the-modern-warfa...st-game-of-2011

There's also a narrated video depicting art assets from the game.

http://kotaku.com/5801345/where-youll-go-h...odern-warfare-3

I know that MW has the ability to divide opinions so I hope the discussion will stay civil. I'm curious as to what they'll do even though the series doesn't enthuse me as it once did. I am suspicious that MW3 may end up blowing me away, I remember the voice actor for Gaz and Ghost having been blown away by the sheer amount of people working on MW3 (Though I knew Sledgehammer were working on MW3 I didn't know Raven were as well, their most recent game being Singularity) and Acti have nothing else going on that I know of, they may be putting all their eggs in the MW basket.

Edited by King_TriTAN

MW3 doesn't really interest me. IW were able to push a COD game in 2 years with their own development team, bringing 3 teams on to help finish just spells out how much trouble there really is at IW after the split. Although having 2 extra devs on it could breath some new life into a tired franchise, so who knows.

If the game is actually made by Infinity Ward it will be worth a look at. It is the COD games not made by Infinity ward that have been the problem as the difference in quality between them is night and day.

Having said that it depends on what kind of Infinity Ward is making the games. The original Infinity Ward, made up of people who worked on the seminal Medal of Honor Allied Assault where responsible for the original Call of Duty (still IMHO a sensational game), and COD2. Most of them also did COD4 (another eason COD4 was so good) and again many of them worked on MW2 (which i think was a good game as well at least in terms of SP campaign and new MP and SP and COOP features like Spec Ops). Having 'sold out' though there is little doubt that the quality of Infinity ward games is in the wane. But there remains hope

Infinity Ward as a studio has gone through further upheaval in the past months as many know, with key original members of Infinity ward expressing their distaste with Activision's approach and demands. I dont know how many of the original members of the studio remain. Note that the actual name Infinity ward is owned by Activision now anyway.

To be honest the game could (at least in a SP sense - I have always loved COD games for the SP more than the MP) not be WORSE that the abortion that is BLOPS. And Infinity Ward have consistently demonstrated that they can make excellent SP games with tight pacing, great attention to detail, and a story that can be followed easily (again unlike BLOPS).

Its too hard to call what the outcome of this will be. Will many people be so fed up with the COD franchise post BLOPS that they will ignore the game? Will this cloud any kind of objective reviewing of the game? Has BLOPS ruined the integrity of the franchise? I would hope not because everygame deserves to be looked at in its own right.

But from my perspective at least it will NOT be an automatic purchase come release day because of the disaster that is BLOPS.

I bet its still on that same old engine.

I would have Frostbite 2's babies though.

should just rename the franchise IMO, something like Call to battle, Legion of Merit, Iron Cross, coup de grace would all be fine names for a generic shooter.

Edited by nesquick

Sounds great.

People bitch about COD but it is the best vanilla shooter around...

I have ran out of excitement buzz for cod now but I'll still follow this and see how the hell its going to work out.

Sounds great.

Matter of opinion. Personally I think Battlefield shits all over CoD in the largest of ways.

Sounds great.

Matter of opinion. Personally I think Battlefield shits all over CoD in the largest of ways.

I just reckon Battlefield is a closer definition of war in gaming than COD but I'll admit when i started COD back in Modern Warfare 1 I was really hooked to it and have been looking forward and playing every game after it since. I just stopped after Black Ops...

Just saw the kotaku link vids. The voice acting sounded kinda bad... Having wars in Germany and Britain makes you question how politically ludicrous they're going to go this time.

Edited by Mr.Twinkie

Sounds great.

I just reckon Battlefield is a closer definition of war in gaming than COD but I'll admit when i started COD back in Modern Warfare 1 I was really hooked to it and have been looking forward and playing every game after it since. I just stopped after Black Ops...

I was into CoD from #2 till MW2 and it was during MW2 that I lost interest. I think MW1 was the pinnacle of the franchise, though CoD2 was and still is my favourite CoD.

I was into CoD from #2 till MW2 and it was during MW2 that I lost interest. I think MW1 was the pinnacle of the franchise, though CoD2 was and still is my favourite CoD.

2 and 4 are definitely my faves also. I played through the SP campaign for CoD2 more times than I can remember. It's certainly aged a lot now though. I'd kinda like them to remake it with the Frostbite 2 engine and add some more engaging gameplay. There's only so many times you can shoot at grey helmets bobbing up and down behind barrels.

CoD4 is a great game, and the MP is still one of the most popular games. We used to play CoD2 at little home LANs, 6 PCs in the one bedroom, all playing the Tunisia map endlessly, running around with the Webley. Good times. Running around Shipment with cooked grenades hoping to kill someone before you kill yourself is also a hoot.

But right now, I have very little interest in the CoD franchise. I'm really looking forward to Battlefield 3, and I really hope the amazing visuals and animations in the trailers we've seen so far are indicative of the average PC experience. I hope you don't need dual 6990s or something to achieve that.

2 and 4 are definitely my faves also. I played through the SP campaign for CoD2 more times than I can remember. It's certainly aged a lot now though. I'd kinda like them to remake it with the Frostbite 2 engine and add some more engaging gameplay. There's only so many times you can shoot at grey helmets bobbing up and down behind barrels.

CoD4 is a great game, and the MP is still one of the most popular games. We used to play CoD2 at little home LANs, 6 PCs in the one bedroom, all playing the Tunisia map endlessly, running around with the Webley. Good times. Running around Shipment with cooked grenades hoping to kill someone before you kill yourself is also a hoot.

But right now, I have very little interest in the CoD franchise. I'm really looking forward to Battlefield 3, and I really hope the amazing visuals and animations in the trailers we've seen so far are indicative of the average PC experience. I hope you don't need dual 6990s or something to achieve that.

To me COD 4 was just sooo damn solid. SOLID, I cannot emphasize a better word than that. Everything felt just right. Modern Warfare 2 went overboard like a baby going on a tantrum.

Sounds great.

No, COD and BF are two different styles of mutiplayer shooter.

MW3 doesn't really interest me. IW were able to push a COD game in 2 years with their own development team, bringing 3 teams on to help finish just spells out how much trouble there really is at IW after the split. Although having 2 extra devs on it could breath some new life into a tired franchise, so who knows.

Having multiple developers for this game does show some promise for me. Only time will tell!

Sounds great.

Yep, BF in the style of fucking awesome and MW2 in the style of meh.

Sounds great.

Oh come one, apples to oranges, but in terms of "feel" I think CoD is still the best feeling iron shooter around.

They have a very different feel, especially when you flick between the two. BF2 has more of a 'delay' in weapons usage, and it feels completely different when you shoot an enemy. CoD has a more direct feel to it somehow, and I do prefer the feel of it. But the overall MP experience of BF2 is superior, with the checkpoints and whatnot. It feels like a more 'technical' game, and the addition of medic and support and stuff really improves on the gameplay, over CoDs simple 'i has different gun now' gameplay.

To me COD 4 was just sooo damn solid. SOLID, I cannot emphasize a better word than that. Everything felt just right. Modern Warfare 2 went overboard like a baby going on a tantrum.

Yeah, there is a sort of 'solidity' in the way you control your character. The running, looking, shooting, changing weapons, all feels so much more solid and tight compared to every other FPS I've played. Which admittedly is not many for the last few years. I never bothered with MW2 because it's not LANnable. Or at least it wasn't on release. I don't think I've seen anyone at a LAN play it, anyway.

Edited by Harmonic Cacophony

Completely agree, COD4 was sublime, one of the best shooter experiences I've played, MW2 was a lot of bang but not a lot of heart. Has anyone played Singularity? I think it's an excellent game from Raven's and it substantiate their involvement. Apparently the creative director for Sledgehammer was the gentleman who invented the Dead Space Series for EA. Edited by King_TriTAN

Sounds great.

Oh come one, apples to oranges, but in terms of "feel" I think CoD is still the best feeling iron shooter around.

To settle this I would like to quote something Nukejockey once said to me, kinda opened my eyes on FPS games.

Both BF and COD are arcade shooters, for a more real shooter go play Arma now while I suck at Arma I think he is right in saying that, made me realise BF is really COD with Squads, vehicles and more focus on teamwork.

Edited by nesquick

Sounds great.

COD for SP (well up to BLOPS).

BF for MP.

Completely agree, COD4 was sublime, one of the best shooter experiences I've played, MW2 was a lot of bang but not a lot of heart. Has anyone played Singularity? I think it's an excellent game from Raven's and it substantiate their involvement. Apparently the creative director for Sledgehammer was the gentleman who invented the Dead Space Series for EA.

The pacing in COD4 was basically pretty much perfect.

MW2 was close - and I think its pretty darn good from a SP perspective (but it does rush you in places) but yes the pacing of COD4 was sublime.

Sounds great.

To settle this I would like to quote something Nukejockey once said to me, kinda opened my eyes on FPS games.

Both BF and COD are arcade shooters, for a more real shooter go play Arma now while I suck at Arma I think he is right in saying that, made me realise BF is really COD with Squads, vehicles and more focus on teamwork.

+ 1 but also Battlefield has more gun recoil.

@King TriTAN, I hope Battlefield is the orange. It has depth. :P

Fuck yeah!

The MW series takes the cake for delivery electric atmosphere with gripping story SP. Shame they fucked up the MP so bad last time, but maybe this time they can take a hint.

I stopped bothering with CoD after 4, I was afraid of it ruining the franchise's awesomeness for me.

I played a level or 2 of CoD5. I lost all respect for the franchise.