Sign in to follow this  
llmoose

Building a cheap cheap PC

$11 more is the cheapest I can see at MSY. Maybe different branches have different listings.

Hey, around Christmas I built two PCs using the cheap Athlon CPU you first mentioned and the Asus whatever-LE mobo. They're both excellent, and were stupidly cheap, with value RAM and cases with included PSUs. One has six hard drives in it and serves as a storage box, the other is a family PC.

They both run Win 7 64bit flawlessly.

However, I recently updated the family PC, and it bluescreens occasionally. I put this down to the service pack and new drivers and whatnot.

I like pushing low end systems. Sometimes I think people over-power their PC for no reason.

I agree. Its far more of a challenge. I mean Office and other standard applications like that will run more than adequately on a dual core CPU with LESS than 2Ghz. Damm Office runs on netbooks with ATOM processors. And if course there is no need for more than 4Gb of Ram for 99% of users, especially if you have a 64bit OS.

There was a time when people would buy cheaper components (CPU, RAM, even video cards) and THEN overclock them so they could run fastser near the more mid price point components. The first system I ever built myself had a 1.3Ghz AMD Duron, 256MB SD ram, Yum Cha PSU, and a Geforce MX420. Budget. I was at uni. Money way tight. Overclocked the buggery out of the CPU and GPU with some friends help. Played BF1942 very nicely indeed.

At least that was what Overclocking was all about initially. It made practical and financial sense. But now eveyrbody buys a 3ghz plus i7 and overclocks that alongside with the fancy ram and top of the range GPU. There is no real need to do this at from a real world performance viewpoint. But of course it is still a great little hobby.

But yeah people werent overlcocking necessarily for a hobby initially, but for practical reasons as well.

Maybe I will get back to this philosophy for my next build. Quality components, but budget.

Edited by GhostFaceKilla

I like pushing low end systems. Sometimes I think people over-power their PC for no reason.

I agree. Its far more of a challenge. I mean Office and other standard applications like that will run more than adequately on a dual core CPU with LESS than 2Ghz. Damm Office runs on netbooks with ATOM processors. And if course there is no need for more than 4Gb of Ram for 99% of users, especially if you have a 64bit OS.

There was a time when people would buy cheaper components (CPU, RAM, even video cards) and THEN overclock them so they could run fastser near the more mid price point components. The first system I ever built myself had a 1.3Ghz AMD Duron, 256MB SD ram, Yum Cha PSU, and a Geforce MX420. Budget. I was at uni. Money way tight. Overclocked the buggery out of the CPU and GPU with some friends help. Played BF1942 very nicely indeed.

At least that was what Overclocking was all about initially. It made practical and financial sense. But now eveyrbody buys a 3ghz plus i7 and overclocks that alongside with the fancy ram and top of the range GPU. There is no real need to do this at from a real world performance viewpoint. But of course it is still a great little hobby.

But yeah people werent overlcocking necessarily for a hobby initially, but for practical reasons as well.

Maybe I will get back to this philosophy for my next build. Quality components, but budget.

Amen to this. I can remember being about age 14 and trying to convince my dad that he is better off getting the AMD 1700+ then the more powerful factory CPU's was one of the most difficult experiences I've had! Well worth it though when I finally beat my mates p4 benchmarks!!