Sign in to follow this  
Smokie

Poor poor crossfire and single card perfromance

So this is my situation in a nutshell...

I upgraded from a single 3870X2 to 2 4870's in crossfire. I have bumped up my CPU oc from 288*9 to 294*9 on my E6600, installed the cards with the latest drivers from the ATI/AMD website, used the CCC app to remove the drivers, CCC says my cards are in crossfire. BUT... when i play MW2 (pretty much the game i play 80% of the time) i have LOWER frame rate than what i did with the 3870X2, I use to be able to have the settings: No AA, No soft smoke edges, And the other settings: High, Extra, Extra. Now i have them set with the two 4870's on Medium, High, High and am still getting lag with filtering still off.

What could possibly be the problem? I read the 4870 on its only is equal or slightly better than the 3870x2 so surely two of them will show some noticeable difference...

System specs in sig...

CPU could be to slow for the 2 cards?

I'd suggest using a proper benchmark though like 3Dmark Vantage to test before and after.

actually I think I know what it is...

P35 chipsets only ever ran 16x and 4x pcie slots and thats gen 1 not the double bandwidth P45 had and I remember nukey telling me one of his mates had crossfire on a P35 board and performance was crap.

Perhaps just try one card, and see how you go. Appreciate you've got two cards rearing to go, but you need to isolate the issue first - is it the card or is it crossfire. If it runs fine on one card, then you know its something about crossfire, but at least you now know rather than assuming its crossfire.

Don't use the video drivers from the CD given, download the newest AMD/ATI video card drives use those.

@ Jeruselem: I am using the latest drivers from ATI/AMD website.

I removed the second card as suggested and YES i do get much better performance than them in crossfire and compared to the old 3870X2. It participially does well with AA on where as the old 3870X2 wouldn't even consider turning it on. So as nesquick said performance with crossfire on a P35 motherboard is rubbish due to the fact that both channels are throttled back to 4x and is not the latest PCI-E 2.0

From this would it be safe to say that it is the motherboard letting this system down?

My next dilemma is finding a crossfire 775 motherboard with 2 16x slots. The remaining few on the market just don't have all the features Im chasing.... GRRR!

It'd be easier to just upgrade TBH.

Phenom II 955

asus M4A89GTD PRO

Corsair 4gb generic DDR3 would set you back $313

It'd be easier to just upgrade TBH.

Phenom II 955

asus M4A89GTD PRO

Corsair 4gb generic DDR3 would set you back $313

What about the PSU can it handle 2 cards?

I vaugley recall troubleshooting similar problems in the past and the issue being configuration/drivers.

I'd suggest using a proper benchmark though like 3Dmark Vantage to test before and after.

P35 chipsets only ever ran 16x and 4x pcie slots and thats gen 1 not the double bandwidth P45 had and I remember nukey telling me one of his mates had crossfire on a P35 board and performance was crap.

Yup.

Yup.

Was it significantly worse than a single card?

Yeah it was. The 4870's in crossfire performed worse than the 3870X2 and the single 4870 performed better than the 3870X2

ie 4870 crossfire -> 3870X2 -> 4870 single

it has to be the board because the latest drivers were downloaded and used and crossfire was working in CCC.

I'm still convinced it's a configuration/driver or possibly compatibility issue.

No matter how shit 16x + 4x crossfire is, it's better than a single card of the same type.

*EDIT* We don't really have enough info on the setup to say what, exactly. But you seem to be half decent at understanding these concepts, so a simple google with the right/important factors might help. Throw in your chipset and something like crossfore worse than single in there and you'll probably find a solution amongst the muck.

Edited by tantryl

Yeah it was. The 4870's in crossfire performed worse than the 3870X2 and the single 4870 performed better than the 3870X2

it has to be the board because the latest drivers were downloaded and used and crossfire was working in CCC.

11 series catalyst drivers give nothing but issues on the 4k series, 10.9 was the last stable version for the 4k series (im using 10.9's for my cards), have you tried v10.9's? if not here is the link to the download page for vista/764bit, if your still having problems, then grab the latest application profiles for crossfire here

Edited by nobodyishere

11 series catalyst drivers give nothing but issues on the 4k series, 10.9 was the last stable version for the 4k series (im using 10.9's for my cards), have you tried v10.9's? if not here is the link to the download page for vista/764bit, if your still having problems, then grab the latest application profiles for crossfire here

I agree sometimes newer does not equal better, maybe even try like 9series ones.

Yup.

Was it significantly worse than a single card?

In some games it was.