Genders

Older PCI-E 1.0 limit PCI-E 2.0 cards?

Hello All,

I've recently upgraded my PC. I've upgraded OS to Win7 64-bit, 6GB RAM, a fourth hard drive and a Corsair 650 HX PSU. I'm now looking to replace my old 8800 GT 512MB. I'm looking at the MSI GTX 560 1GB twin frozr II as my new card.

The 8800 GT is a PCI-E 2.0 card, worked fine in the PCI-E 16x 1.0 slot to date.

Would the newer card actually need a PCI-E 2.0 slot to function properly? Will I notice anything at all?

Thanks

Short answer, there will be no slow down (or if there is any, it'll be pretty darn small)

The PCIe 2.0 revision can handle twice as much data, but most cards don't get anywhere enaring maxxing that out, in most cases

Also, while the PCIe 2.0 slot can give up to 150W to the card, most cards still only draw a max of 75W, in keeping with the original version

Edited by nobody813

It should just use the same bandwidth as is max allowed through a PCI-e 1.0/1.1 slot.

Notice a difference in frames? Depends on the game and what settings, but I doubt people will catch it whilst playing, unless they have something displaying the frames per second.

The GTX 560 Ti would be a little limited by PCIe 1.1 IMO - they're a pretty fast card. It isn't the end of the world but you'll lose a 2-3% of your FPS.