Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
ADO

What's happened to this place?

After some time away, I am shocked to see that there are ~10 people in General Chat at 8pm on a Thursday.

It used to be rockin' with hundreds of unique visitors, and nothing lasted on the front page longer than a few hours without any comments.

Who scared everyone away?

The old "active users" was hardly ever accurate anyway.

With the IP Boards software, each forum only shows users as active if they're actually displaying the relevant page.

e.g. from main forum page:

209 guests, 26 members, 6 anonymous members

From Green room page:

36 User(s) are browsing this forum (28 Guests and 2 Anonymous Users)

* tumble-weed*

woosh....

and another tumbleweed......

everyone's gone to facebook

least you wont get banned......

Were is the like button?

Ian

I will go out on a limb here (a sturdy limb for sure) and say "this thread will end badly".

The answer to this thread, as it is to all threads, is ninjas.

Many atomicans have taken the pirate v ninja v robot battle a little too seriously, siding with the best side of course, the ninjas. Training camps started three or so years ago and the majority of atomicans are now here, but undetectable. Also, they've killed the majority of those that didn't become ninjas, because they're fucking ninjas.

Reckon the CPUs on the forum servers would melt if we had hundreds of Atomicans on right now. This isn't Facebook.

I run this bitch now. Hearken unto me, for I am teh awesomeness.

I read that as "Hadouken unto me"

But how can ye, when I have already Hadouken'ed unto you?

Heh,

I see and fix so much on FB user machines, without ever being a member/user myself, but I do tend to agree, it's a social phenomenon, but one I think will end badly, even at the peak we've been a little eclectic around here.

Atomic does go in waves, this is the antithesis of a tsunami :)

Cheers

I normally don't buy into these "What has happened?" threads, but the fact that there are so many popping up lately, it's starting to be a little telling.

Heh,

I see and fix so much on FB user machines, without ever being a member/user myself, but I do tend to agree, it's a social phenomenon, but one I think will end badly, even at the peak we've been a little eclectic around here.

Cheers

What about FB would you be fixing on these user machines?

Or if its not FB related, what are you doing going through their accounts?

Heh,

Cheers

What about FB would you be fixing on these user machines?

Or if its not FB related, what are you doing going through their accounts?

I don't- FB does attract Malware, and the odd virus, but most of those are false rubbish, it also keeps bloody changing and people get confused.

More scan to be safe, and have a quick look at latest wall changes.

It's often more social - friending/unfriending, I try to ignore it, but it is bemusing how often I need to give, usually free, advice on why it is a storm in a tea-cup.

I'm into a very much larger project that is bearing fruit, but, if people ask what the hell this means I tend to help :)

tbh I see in FB a phenomenon that Faith Popcorn predicted long ago - "cocooning" I doubt she saw it this way but it is an isolating phenomenon of people sitting at keyboards and being friends. I guess to some degree the preceding forums began that, but at least places like Atomic are social.

I have though seen a few nasties from FB - they don't last long, but their security could be better, clean up and leave person to re-open their account - man, I don't even remember or write down passwords, I always get the user to type it in, I recall two, one lives with me, one is a VERY good friend - hell, half the time I can't remember mine :)

Interesting question, but as an IT pro for 26 years now, I do not intrude on people's personal business, I just fix it when it stops working.

Is that a long way of saying, get off my case?

Cheers

What happened to this place?

Time.

You played Fallout?

See how time did in the world there.

Can't trust time.

Does everything in.

Even your grandma.

Time'll get her.

It'll get her good...

I run this bitch now. Hearken unto me, for I am teh awesomeness.

I read that as "Hadouken unto me"

But how can ye, when I have already Hadouken'ed unto you?

A question for the ages.