Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
ADO

What's happened to this place?

I'd put it down to a few things.

Mostly the ready availability of other avenues that include a wider variety of participants. Feh on them.

A few bannings.

An outbreak of increased viralence of tit for tat nonrelevant thread replies.

Of course a lot of folk have updated their tech skills and there is a need for more newbs to breath fresh life into those sections but not to become the main course at a BBQ. ;{)

I also think there has been a mild upswing lately with some "oldies" and newcomers contibuting here.

Long live the GR.

wow

i thought the delorean was the only stainless steel panel'd car

niice

I happened to this place.

I see you have all started to notice certain little... discrepancies between your memories and your observations. Very good. Try not to worry yourselves too much over it, my little pets. All is proceeding according to plan .

Ask yourselves, what is it that you think you see when you cast your eyes around? What is it that you think you feel? What if I were to ask you... if what you think is really what you think? The next question should therefore come as no surprise: what is real? And does reality exist, or is it only perception?

Take another look. This is Playground Atomic, just as it always has been. Or is it? What is it that you think you know? And how safe are your memories, your observations, your perceptions? From the recent mumblings, I can see a few of you are beginning to become aware, beginning to question. Very well. I suppose it can do you no harm, at this point. All tasks at hand are completed.

What can I say? I like to play :-) and you are all very, very fair and beautiful game, my sweet Atomicans :-p

edit: tags :-)

Edited by elvenwhore

I had my little sook here awhile ago and one thing I learnt from that is that Atomic is what it is. Always has been, always will be.

You'll get out of it exactly what you put into it.

You either post or you don't.

Your either here or your not.

If you enjoy the place you'll stay and contribute.

If you don't then you'll leave.

Take away from here what you will, contribute what you want.

We make this place what it is. no one else.

I joined back in 2004, stopped posting around 2006 (funnily enough, after I quit my desk job).

Got myself a new desk job in 2009, started posting again.

Could have something to do with that sort of thing – some people not around computers as much as they used to be, getting older, etc.

I like it here though, lots of knowledgable people that are always willing to lend a helping hand, offer advice, all of that.

Forum covers a whole lot of topics as well, and most are fairly active. If my interest was PURELY games, I'd probably be elsewhere. I like reading all the stuff here, even if I have not got the slightest clue about it.

Reminds me I should reactivate my mag sub again.

I run this bitch now. Hearken unto me, for I am teh awesomeness.

I read that as "Hadouken unto me"

The good people are still here, that's love. New guys have come in well, that's love, too. It's still a very satisfying and entertaining place to hang out.

And the black and green still holds you like an expensive pair of leather gloves. Mmm.

It's life Jim, but not as we know it.

One day Hawkeye will figure out how to use the ban button, and then get on a stool to reach it, and I'll be gone too.

But that day hasn't come yet.

There are people still here who were here when the doors opened. Some of them will still be around to turn off the light switch. We see glimpses of faces of ghosts of the past pop in occasionally to tell us a little of their lives and we see newcomers opening their lives to us. We see people growing up (and sadly not growing up), growing away and growing closer.

We swim in the warm radioactive water of time, occasionally battling the current, but mostly letting it take us along.

Good point. Could also do with more OneShotOneKill, the_dude, zephyr, donnaGEM... heaps more too. HEAPS MORE. If you're out there from the days of the_dude's MASSIVE completely epic story that incorporated everyone into a futuristic post-apocalyptic war-torn Earth where we were the heroes... Then please try and get in touch with them and bring them back online. Even just for one day. Those guys has some real imagination and they made this place sing. Sing like it had a soul, not a mouth and an anus and a need. Not that I don't love it here, not that I don't try and contribute and realise that this place is what you make it, but, they were some very cool people and they helped make the ghost in this here machine. Where are you legends of the past? Come and help this old place work up its rhythm again.

Zephyr can't come back, he's too busy helping with work on AmigaOS 4.x!

:O Shit yeah, that's mad. I'm inclined to buy one just because I can say I know the guy who helped make this. I might even buy two... :D (One will be all my logic centre allows. Damn you reason. Love you Zeph!)

How long has he been working on the project? Is there an old thread about any of his work at all (or a new one)?

they were some very cool people and they helped make the ghost in this here machine. Where are you legends of the past? Come and help this old place work up its rhythm again.

Some people feel that "nostalgic oldies" are actually the problem, not the solution.

I know... And they should drink the Kool-Aid... (EDIT: There is supposed to be a strike through for that remark, but I can't guess the code needed. Help anyone?) I mean, accept that respect is a basic part of the human social fabric. Every person in it is a thread a weave within it. Try not to be pilling. (Sorry, I can't stop the fun loving tonight, had some good scotch whiskey after dinner).

In all seriousness though, the greater our diversity in numbers, but perhaps more importantly, quality, the better off atomic is in the long run. I think more people should try and feel that they're also here for the good of the community at large. Not because without such investment of their part that they have no right to lay claim to being one of the atomic gang. Nor that they are incapable of saying that this here is THEIR website forum. I wholeheartedly consent to the idea of responsible and respectful love of this place leading towards a metaphorically deserving ownership claim of this etheral space. I merely contend that it is your house. Keep it clean. Respect the temple. Leave offerings of goodness and take away blessings and prayers of goodwill from the community. To put it poetically. Without a quality of respect of everyones space, we lose sight of the greater objective of this place. To further all of us. Not just some of us. Each and everyone. Because everything must have its right place. And the more you think about it, the easier it is.

It's up to you.

Edited by Mudman

Zephyr can't come back, he's too busy helping with work on AmigaOS 4.x!

Nice troll, Nich... but it doesn't work if you have to actually send me the link to see it in the first place :P

For the record, no, I'm not working on AmigaOS. :)

OMG ZEPHYR I mean hey! Nice to see you around again man. Can you believe that other guy? Jesus, what was with him? :P

I second the question - I wandered back into the forums to check out Trademart, and then find that I have to make a couple of extra posts before I can get back in because of some technical change... and then there's hardly anything that I can post something substantial to in order to make my rare posts actually contribute something meaningful...

Well, this is one. I might lumber off to the Apple forum and see if there's anything there worth adding my (rare) two cents to...

*waves*

i'm still here, although i suspect i'm like a lot of the so-called "old school" members - i flit in every so often, but almost never post anymore. over the years my interests have changed, at0micans i used to talk to most often have moved on and perhaps most sadly of all, i've become too lazy to take the time to get to know the "n00bs". so to answer the op's question, GTAV6 (and others like me), is what happened to this place :o(

It's life Jim, but not as we know it.

One day Hawkeye will figure out how to use the ban button, and then get on a stool to reach it, and I'll be gone too.

But that day hasn't come yet.

There are people still here who were here when the doors opened. Some of them will still be around to turn off the light switch. We see glimpses of faces of ghosts of the past pop in occasionally to tell us a little of their lives and we see newcomers opening their lives to us. We see people growing up (and sadly not growing up), growing away and growing closer.

We swim in the warm radioactive water of time, occasionally battling the current, but mostly letting it take us along.

:)

That is possibly the funniest, and warmest post I have ever read CL :)

It seems it pulled Zeph and GTAV out of hiding, hi guys, and Zeph I owe you a call, been a bit busy dying or waiting for the world to die, or feeding a cat - whatever :)

Cheers

I predicted this way back in 2001. Or was it 2002? I forget, but I know it got me banned until 2008.

Hehe, I was right.

Allowing threads like this to exist in the Green Room instead of moving them to feedback, is what's wrong with this place.

You wanna know whats wrong, firstly its not the MOD's. It the dickheads who think they're MOD's, and want everyone to conform and be nice little fuckers.

People used to be able to have conversations, take the piss, every once n' a while have a flaming, and everything was good. But no, now the emphasis is on posting in the right place, and in the right way, rather than actually focusing on the sharing of ideas.

Fuckers.

now the emphasis is on posting in the right place, and in the right way, rather than actually focusing on the sharing of ideas.

To share your ideas I need to know where to find them ;-)

I normally don't buy into these "What has happened?" threads, but the fact that there are so many popping up lately, it's starting to be a little telling.

David talked about it in the 'other' thread.

All the whinging is about to hit a critical mass . . .

The reality is that most of us dont whinge.

I had my little sook here awhile ago and one thing I learnt from that is that Atomic is what it is. Always has been, always will be.

+1

So very true, but this is the mindset that actively blocks the development of a community, as opposed to restrictive conditions that reduce the user base to a cadre of old hats and those "in the know".

It really depends on what direction "Management" want to take the forums in.