Hi all,

Just a quick quiz. My brother has just signed up to a new ADSL2+ plan with iPrimus, and has gone out and bought a modem/router seperate from the ISP. Can anyone tell me if it matters what modem you use? Or do ISP's only allow you to use certain brands/models?

Cheers.

Any is fine.

There will be configuratoin instructions on the iPrimus website somewhere.

Setup requires 2 numbers to help sync the line (provided by the ISP), your username and password.

Done, dusted, all good.

Dont forget the line filters on any and all other devices (foxtel, phones, fax etc)

To be more specific, any will work.

When an ISP says they only "support" a given modem, it means their tech support staff only have step-by-step information for the modems they provide.

So, if your bro ever needs any help, the ISP will have a limited capacity to troubleshoot over the phone.

On a technical level, though, yes, any ADSL modem should work.

When an ISP says they only "support" a given modem, it means their tech support staff only have step-by-step information for the modems they provide.

So, if your bro ever needs any help, the ISP will have a limited capacity to troubleshoot over the phone.

Yep, but if you do use an ISP supplied modem, don't be surprised if some time later they stop supporting it. We've had this with our ISP.

One time when there was an outage, I recall them giving me instructions for a D-Link DSL-504T. The router they supplied us with a few years beforehand, was a DSL-504. Very different beast (the 504T is some MIPS-based SoC running Linux, the 504 is ARM running a proprietary RTOS).

The other incident was with Telstra Bigpond, who supplied the Asperger's Syndrome Support Network (now Asperger Services Australia) with a Alcatel SpeedTouch ADSL modem back around 2004 (keyword: modem, not a modem/router) and a USB-Ethernet device which they installed on one machine running Windows XP Home... configuring Windows XP to perform the PPPoE connection and share via Internet Connection Sharing.

Fast forward to 2008 they were still happily chugging away on the same modem... only now it was plugged into a Linux box which did the PPPoE. Regardless of the system it was plugged in to though, the important fact was that it was a plain modem, no higher-layer functionality was present. This lead to all kinds of confusion when Telstra's helpdesk told me to "browse to the web page on the modem" and I'd reply "it's a modem, there is no web page". "No no no, just open your web browser and type...", "No, you're not listening, it's a modem, not a router, it has no web page. The modem was supplied years ago, they didn't come with web pages back then."

"Sorry, what model modem was it again?"... I'd read out the model information from the base of the modem. "Ohh, one moment".

Time passes while they confer with the supervisor, then eventually they'd get back to me: "You're right, it doesn't have a web page." (And the thought in their head "What do I do now?")

Why is someone like you calling telstra tech support?

Log an automated VOICE line fault so they check the quality, and handle your end yourself :P