Sign in to follow this  
the_vege

Building PC right now

Hi, i'm currently building a PC and am a little stuck on the cable connection part. Hopefully you guys can help me out :)

SPECS:

Case: Silverstone FT02B

Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 SATA II 7200RPM 32M

Antec ATX TruePower 650W

Asus GTX580 DCII / 2DIS 1536Mb PCI Express

Intel Core i5 2500K CPU

Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3B3

G.SKill Ripjaws DDR3 1600Mhz PC3-12800

OCZ 120G Vertex II E Series SSD

Questions:

Which fan is the System Fan? I have SYS_FAN1(3pin), SYS_FAN2(4pin) and PWR_FAN(3pin) which I'm trying to figure out. In the meantime, these are the plugs I have, that I know of:

Posted Image

GPU: The gpu has 2x PCI-Express 8-pin power connectors. And is bundled with a 8pin tto 2x6pin convertor. Do i need to power both the 8pin power connectors, or will one be fine? As there is only one convertor and my PSU only has 6pin power connectors.

AUDIO: The front panel audio header supports both HD Audio and AC'97 audio. They're both on the same line. Which one should I plug in?

Posted Image

There is a sata cable and a 4 pin molex connector at the left frontside of my case, what are they for?

Posted Image

I'm stuck and can't figure this out, and help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edited by the_vege

Fans dont matter. As long as the CPU heatsinks fan is in the CPU Fan plug, you're good to go. Plug as you wish. Or buy a fan controller for a spare front bay and make them manually controlled (very fun)

GPU: I'm not sure, i'd assume only one, but ive clearly never needed a card with that much power. (EDIT: was the manual not clear?)

Audio: use the HD and try it out (most likely) if it doesnt work, switch them. You wont damage anyhting there. Ive often hit that query myself on mobos without manuals. (clients machine repairs)

That SATA power connector and cable, are to create your own e-sata plug, if your motherboard doesnt have a diredct esata port.

Edited by Master_Scythe

ok

1, your CPU fan has 4 pins . all other fans get pluged into a 3 pin

2, your GPU NEEDS the 8 pin connector

3, hd audio to the front panel

3,front panel ESATA and the molex is for a fan of some description

dagnamit MS...ALWAYS beaten (im slow at typing)

Edited by st8smn

Ok thank you,

The cpu fan is in the correct one, I now have two other fans plugged in, and two spare fans not plugged in.

GPU has 2x8pin slots, gonna google around and try to figure it out.

HD audio now plugged in.

Thanks heaps guys, i'll let you know how it goes :)

Edited by the_vege

sorry st8smn :P

your number 3. is wrong too sorry man. BOTH the molex and the SATA cable will be for one E-SATA I recon.

It will be to 'make your own' E-sata port Only in the latest batch have esata started to be included on the mobo, before that you had to DIY (unless it was on the BACK panel).

also, 2.

I dont know why his GPU has 2X 8 pin connectors. Ive never heard of one needing THAT much power. Hence asking how the manal missed such an essential built instruction..

if you have 2x 8pin plugs use both of them

sorry st8smn :P

your number 3. is wrong too sorry man. BOTH the molex and the SATA cable will be for one E-SATA I recon.

It will be to 'make your own' E-sata port Only in the latest batch have esata started to be included on the mobo, before that you had to DIY (unless it was on the BACK panel).

also, 2.

I dont know why his GPU has 2X 8 pin connectors. Ive never heard of one needing THAT much power. Hence asking how the manal missed such an essential built instruction..

my E-sata hasnt got an external power :( riped off

all of my cases its been a front fan

aannd my old gtx280 had a 8 and a 6 pin ...needed both

anyways ...i tried

he only has one 8pin plug and 2x 8 pin sockets. he has an issue.

(if it needs both; hence manual)

Also, your esata wont have power, because its newer.

ESATA on motherboard > Esata extension lead > Esata front panel.

On his case, I tihnk it'll be:

SATA + power > Sata-Esata Conversion lead > Front Esata.

or the case is cheap and the molex is to power some lights or some shit :P

Edited by Master_Scythe

aannd my old gtx280 had a 8 and a 6 pin ...needed both

The 4870X2 has 6pin and 8pin PCIe power connectors, and it needs both.

Well, perhaps it doesn't "need" both in the strictest sense, but they won't power up unless both are connected.

MS: Why would you have two, but only need to have one connected? "We know you like choice, so here's two redundant plugs! Take your pick!" :P

Edited by SquallStrife

ah ha we were both wrong ...

both molex and sata are for a hot-swapable drive

Posted Image

OP you dont NEED to plug these in if you already have a hdd fitted

Edited by st8smn

Okay, so i'm pretty sure everything is good now.

Just one more thing. I am unsure what this cable is for:

Posted Image

I've tried turning it on, but no go. I'm guessing its because of this cable. Problem is, I have no idea where it would go. There is no room left on the board, unless i'm missing something.

Any ideas?

Here is the PC as well, if you can see anything wrong let me know.

Posted Image

i cant quiet see ...but do you have an 8 pin plug on the mobo? (top right of the cpu in your pic)

thats the cpu power

Edited by st8smn

Yep plugged in, only thing that isn't plugged in is the 4 pin. I have no idea where it would go. And the comp won't boot up yet, so something must not be quite right yet.

any signs of life at all? fans spin?

got the front panel (on ,reset) hooked up right?

lights on the GPU are on, and fans move slightly before stopping. 99% sure the front panel is hooked up right, re-doing that was one of my first reactions. I'm stumped :(

Ok fixed!!!!

Stupid thing.....I plugged a psu cord into the SYS_FAN2 slot, it wasn't necessary. I was like...hmmm what's that doing there? Pulled it out, and viola, working.

THanks for all your help guys, couldnt have done it without you!!!!

lights on the GPU are on, and fans move slightly before stopping. 99% sure the front panel is hooked up right, re-doing that was one of my first reactions. I'm stumped :(

Ok fixed!!!!

Stupid thing.....I plugged a psu cord into the SYS_FAN2 slot, it wasn't necessary. I was like...hmmm what's that doing there? Pulled it out, and viola, working.

THanks for all your help guys, couldnt have done it without you!!!!

damn thats lucky you didnt fry your mobo

and no worries

enjoy:)