Sign in to follow this  
Reb1rth.

ARMA III.

I know not a great deal of us here enjoy sim games, but for those of us that do...

Scheduled for a winter (assuming that's our summer?) 2012 release, ARMA III -- while a while off yet, is keeping the series a PC exclusive.

Bohemia promise ArmA will deliver a "unique sandbox-style combat gameplay experience in the most detailed environment of the series to-date".

Sent behind enemy lines with a small group of Special Forces and Researchers to a Mediterranean Island, players assume the role of Cpt. Scott Miller. Naturally, the mission becomes compromised and the task force destroyed, leaving Miller to go it alone and "face the dangers of modern warfare, an unforgiving environment, and the consequences of his own decisions".

Bohemia have divulged the following features:

Single-Player Campaign

Evolve from a lone prey into a military commander in the open-ended & story-driven campaign.

Vehicles & Weapons

Control multitude of aircraft, vehicles and ships with the accurate simulation, shoot from anything from pistols to the sophisticated weapon platforms.

Customizable Soldier Load

Choose your uniform, assemble your weapon kit, change your loadout, get encumbered.

Physical simulation & improved animations

Take advantage of PhysX™ supporting the vehicle simulation, in-game interactions and the revamped animation system.

Rich & authentic environment

Explore the unsurpassed modern ground combat experience set on the authentic Mediterranean island modeled from the real geographic data.

Multiplayer Gameplay

Challenge both cooperative & competitive scenarios with full support of dedicated servers for both Windows and Linux.

Completely Extensible & Moddable

Design & create countless customizable scenarios using the intuitive & easy-to-use mission editor.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Very excited. Arma 2 is going on right now with pretty much daily amazing mods, and epic BIG mods always in the pipeline -- and actually being finished, which is something special about this game/series.

Squadding it in co-op in Arma 2 remains very near the top of gaming's great experiences, so naturally it's flippen awesome to see Bohemia's commitment to growing the franchise. Now where's Carrier Command Gaia..., Bohemia?

Arma 2 was immensely scalable, though the scaling itself was tougher to tweak than most games with endless experimental tweaks to get it right. In the end it is perfectly runnable on pretty much any recent PC config, though a bit of work to get it there.

I'm hoping for better flight physics, and heartened that Bohemia is doing a heli sim, though word of that seems to have quietened somewhat...

I'd like to know what kind of PC we'll need to run with full viewing distance like the first screenshot at 60fps. :P

My main hope for this game is that they optimize the AI a bit better than ARMA II's CPU-raping AI system.

Well yeah. View distance was always the killer with Arma 2. In case you don't know, turning object detail down is the number 1 frames helper, with next to no noticeable difference.

I'm hoping squad leader command interface controls are greatly improved. If I could beg Bohemia for anything in Arma 3 that would be it, and there are so many games that do it better they can follow the lead from. That and better vehicle controls. I always loved to fly the heli and it was just too arcade, though nice with Track IR. Really nice with a human buddy in the gunner seat. Planes are just awful, though I understand they don't wanna be a flight sim. Still, better aircraft controls would be lovely. More realistic please.

Edited by Flouncy

Looks amazing, apart from the water in the first one, looks like a giant wavey blanket.

I haven't tired Arma 2, but I do like sims, and I loved all the Operation Flashpoints which had a somewhat 'sim' type feel to them, so I'd imagine this would go alright.

Most people still struggle to run ARMA 2 well and now they're going to bring ARMA 3. I didn't see this coming so soon but I'll look forward to it. Maybe they can tweak their game and learn some things from the mods. Make it less CPU intensive as ARMA 2 was such a killer for the CPU. Your CPU is in charge of so many things in the game, its pretty ridiculous.

Edited by Mr.Twinkie

Holy shit that looks amazing. What engine does it use? And will it require crossfired 6990s? :P

Nope, probably just a 12ghz, 12 core cpu :P

Estimated System Requirements:

OS - Windows 7 / Vista

CPU - Intel Core i5 or AMD Athlon Phenom X4 or faster

GPU - Nvidia Geforce GTX 260 or ATI Radeon HD 5770, shader Model 3 and 896 MB VRAM, or faster

RAM - 2 GB

HDD - 15 GB free space

DVD - Dual Layer compatible

DirectX® - 10

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=14278

Yeah that's what we're up against. I'm probabaly going to stick with ARMA 2 for a while when this comes out and wait for a new computer to be born for it.

Edited by Mr.Twinkie

I hope it will take full advantage of my 8 core bulldozer!

I just hope it comes with better movement and sound than Arma II.

Arma 2 takes full advantage of 8 threads at the moment apparantly.

I'm not so sure about that.

But the game was definitely better when I upgraded to a quad.

Arma 2 takes full advantage of 8 threads at the moment apparantly.

I'm not so sure about that.

But the game was definitely better when I upgraded to a quad.

It got full multi-threaded support with a patch a few months back. I haven't actually tested it with HT on though.

Still havent played ARMA2. Its sitting on my shelf winking at me but I dare not till exams and study are over which wont be till November at the earliest. At which point BF3 and Skyrim will be out. Oh my Summer is looking busy.

I got into ARMA mostly with ARMA II: Operation Arrowhead.

It was a bit hit and miss to begin with, some days I would love the shit out of it.

Others I would play for about 10 minutes and hate it.

The last few plays were amazing though. Playing in a squad with Reb1rth and Nuke and discovering the "direct communication" feature.

Fun times were indeed had.

I had nothing but problems whilst trying to play the single player campaign.

With my i7 920 overclocked to 3.6 (I think?), 6GB DDR3 and HD5870 it still ran like shit.

ARMA III system requirements: Crossfire 6990's, SLI 580's or equivalent, Core i9 CPU, 12GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Water cooling and 3 keyboards.

:P

so why do people think that looks good? looks like arna II only its pixelated\film grain blurry fuzzy crap to me but other than that arma III is bound to be another good game

They base ARMA on a simulation used by our military that is run by super computers. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Bohemia need to regrow that bloody tree.

Edited by Mr.Twinkie

ARMA III system requirements: Crossfire 6990's, SLI 580's or equivalent, Core i9 CPU, 12GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Water cooling and 3 keyboards.

:P

Haha, three keyboards, one for each hand, and one for your feet! You need to be Geddy Lee to play this shit!

so why do people think that looks good? looks like arna II only its pixelated\film grain blurry fuzzy crap to me but other than that arma III is bound to be another good game

You'd better get used to that :P

Also, the models look like they're higher detail than ARMA2

so why do people think that looks good? looks like arna II

ARMA II still looks great anyway. :)

E3's came with an ARMA 3 teaser.

The graphics looks amazing. Might need a few 580s though.

Edited by Mr.Twinkie

I don't think any of that is in-game except the side-on double chopper shot... and even that doesn't look right.