llmoose

Logitech Z-5500 - Still the king?

I need new speakers after one of my Z-10s started blew a speaker today. The Z-5500s forr $329@MSY. Anything beat them for that price?

I don't game, 80% of the time music, 20% movies/tv.

Don't need 5.1 but want something loud! An iPhone dock would be a bonus but not fussed.

i have the z2300's which are the 2.1 version, and i can say that i have never had these over 40% volume, the damn windows rattle.

they are the best computer speakers i have heard for a long time.

Id like to get the z5500's one day but cant justifiy the cost just for 3 more speakers.

i have the z2300's which are the 2.1 version, and i can say that i have never had these over 40% volume, the damn windows rattle.

Id like to get the z5500's one day but cant justifiy the cost just for 3 more speakers.

Are the Z2300s Exactly the same just missing 3 speakers? Interesting...

The Z-5500's are king of shit audio. No mids and the bass sounds like a fat girl farting into a biscuit tin. What kind of budget do you have?

Z-5500s are very impressive.

Super clear and amazing flexability. I suppose mids are a little lower, but i listen to metal and electronica. Both focus on highs and lows.

If I could own a subwoofer where I live, they'd rock.

I would only want to spend around $200 ideally but might stretch it!

For that budget I recommend the Edifier S330's:

http://www.edifier-international.com/produ...edia/s330-s330d

I have a set and they serve me well. If you don't game, a 5.1 setup might be overkill...would be good for movies, I suppose, but for music- your stated main usage- the Edifiers are good at that price range

I like how people who have never owned the z5500Ds say that they're shit. They're not bad for what you get and what the price is. If you want loud, they have it.

I doubt they'd really be what you're after though, they're good for movies and games, music sounds fine imo, but I'm no audiophile. I do like to switch them onto stereo x2 for music which sounds much better with a soundcard than it does with onboard btw.

I know that nothing I buy is going to please me perfectly. I have a complete DLS Iridium setup in my car ($1400 front speakers anyone?) so I know nothing will get near that but I still want to get bang for buck. I'm thinking is a waste getting 5.1 because the computer is in the lounge room so surround is a no-go.

I'd definately recommend the Z2300s for music.

I have a set, and yeah, I've never gone anywhere near max volume. Only 2.1s, but the bass is just insane and the satellite speakers are adequate in my opinion, (I'm no audiophile either).

I think if you wanna save a couple of hundred and don't need 5.1, they're probably a better choice than the Z5500s.

That said, G930 cans are my weapon of choice for PC usage, (still got some 777s as well, which are probably better to some degree; but I'm loving being cordless for now).

Personally, I do most of my music/videos on the HTPC, and they're hooked up to a Yamaha YHT-892AUB hi-fi system. Yes, it's just stock, but I'm more than impressed by it, (and again, I have never come close to pushing it).

Edited by Periander

well I bought z5500's and they kick ass for games, and music is pretty good. Music like dance is great ie The Annual #### is great. but something more acoustic and balanced like Pete Murry is a little weird, im not an audiophile so I cant describe whats wrong, it's probably listening to music with a sub, its just not right ever. anyway I cant fault them but if I were to be buying for Music as a main purpose then that would be a different set of speakers.

I identified the Edifier 330D's as a choice, but ultimately games took me to the Logi's. The Audioengine speakers seam to be well regarded.

its exactly what you think is wrong.

the subwoofer is ported, so its less accurate and overpowered.

Its like people with ported woofers in their car. making noise without accuracy. :P

I like how people who have never owned the z5500Ds say that they're shit.

Lets just take a look at logitechs own website.

Total FTC power: 505 watts RMS

Sub-woofer: 188 watts RMS (into 8 ohms, @ 100Hz, @ 10% THD)

Satellites:

Left/Right: 62 watts RMS x 2 (into 8 ohms, @ 1khz, @ 10% THD)

Center: 69 watts RMS (into 8 ohms, @ 1kHz, @ 10% THD)

Rear Left & Right: 62 watts RMS x 2 (into 8 ohms, @ 1kHz, @ 10% THD)

To their credit, they don't try and hide how shit they are.

10% distortion? Really? Fuck that noise(literally).

I don't know ANY amp (solid state, not valve) that has distortion that high, in the non-computer market. Most amps have distortion down to atleast 0.01%, if not LOWER.

10%?

Sorry, but you simply can't argue with figures like that. Even for valve amps, that distortion is stupidly high, atleast with valve amps it'd be 2nd harmonic, not 3rd...

edit: It's worth pointing out that i used to own some logi 2.1 speakers. I ended up modding the sub in them because even with it turned right down, it had WAAAAAAY too much bass. After lowering the amount of bass the system had, it sounded fairly balanced. If not still shit. ;)

Edited by Caelum

well I bought z5500's and they kick ass for games, and music is pretty good. Music like dance is great ie The Annual #### is great. but something more acoustic and balanced like Pete Murry is a little weird, im not an audiophile so I cant describe whats wrong, it's probably listening to music with a sub, its just not right ever. anyway I cant fault them but if I were to be buying for Music as a main purpose then that would be a different set of speakers.

I identified the Edifier 330D's as a choice, but ultimately games took me to the Logi's. The Audioengine speakers seam to be well regarded.

Satellites:

I don't know ANY amp (solid state, not valve) that has distortion that high, in the non-computer market. Most amps have distortion down to atleast 0.01%, if not LOWER.

10%?

Sorry, but you simply can't argue with figures like that. Even for valve amps, that distortion is stupidly high, atleast with valve amps it'd be 2nd harmonic, not 3rd...

edit: It's worth pointing out that i used to own some logi 2.1 speakers. I ended up modding the sub in them because even with it turned right down, it had WAAAAAAY too much bass. After lowering the amount of bass the system had, it sounded fairly balanced. If not still shit. ;)

Yes I have always reduced the bass/subwoofer volume on all the Logitech speakers I have owned.

To be honest it is always worth calibrating speakers when you buy them (yes this can be in a basic fashion via windows). It is also worth playing around with setting the levels of the speakers manually as well.

Seriously my Z4's sound pretty darn good for what they are after I have tweaked them.

I need new speakers after one of my Z-10s started blew a speaker today. The Z-5500s forr $329@MSY. Anything beat them for that price?

I don't game, 80% of the time music, 20% movies/tv.

Don't need 5.1 but want something loud! An iPhone dock would be a bonus but not fussed.

I have owned Logitech z5500's5.1's (wish I could have 5.1 in my current place). Great PC speakers (note i said PC). They are LOUD - music, especially dance music, absolutely kicks. They do need sme tweaking. And the Sub can muddy things hence the need to tweak. But this isnt a problem. The relaity is that they may have too much power for you. As I said they can go loud but can also literally shake the windows. I have owned the 2.1 z2300's (trust me when I say theses are great speakers but far more power than you will ever use particularly when you live in a unit - the Sub alone is massive - similar to z5500 but 2.1 - massive power). I currently have a set of Z4 2.1's (have had for a while). .

To be honest the z4's are MORE than adequate for all tasks. They are capable of going very loud, dont distort and sound decent at higher volumes. there is more than enough power in them to rock a Unit. Music and movies sound great espoecially when coupled with my sound card.

the point is that it is just not worth spending any MORE than your budget. Furthermore you should be able to get something that is decent for UNDER you budget. A decent mid range 2.1 set up from Logitech or Creative or Harman or another reputable manufacturer should be absolutely fine.

of course do compare products. But really you should be able to get a more than adeqaute 2.1 PC speaker setup for way LESS than $200.

Dont forget I am also talking about PC speakers.

And in reality, you can get a set of decent bookshelf speakers, powered if you so wish(at a small premium), that'll outperform any pc speaker in pretty much any aspect, for less than $500.

This includes bass extension.

I know, crazy to think isn't it, that a 2.0 system can have better(and deeper) bass than a system with a sub.

Thing is, most subs for 2.1/5.1 setups are probably tuned for around 100Hz, which means they're muddy, boomy and generally shite.

A decent bookshelf speaker will have bass that'll extend down to under 70Hz at -3dB, won't be boomy, will be clear, and well integrated with the lower midrange.

I challenge any PC speaker to go even close to that.

And in reality, you can get a set of decent bookshelf speakers, powered if you so wish(at a small premium), that'll outperform any pc speaker in pretty much any aspect, for less than $500.

I know, crazy to think isn't it, that a 2.0 system can have better(and deeper) bass than a system with a sub.

Thing is, most subs for 2.1/5.1 setups are probably tuned for around 100Hz, which means they're muddy, boomy and generally shite.

A decent bookshelf speaker will have bass that'll extend down to under 70Hz at -3dB, won't be boomy, will be clear, and well integrated with the lower midrange.

+1

I myself have owned the z5500 while they are suitable for most situations the sub does become overpowering during music and games (thanks to the THX certification/100Hz crossover), also makes for a real muddy mid/bottom and at times the topend can be tinny.

Best thing to do is visit a few places and test some setups with something from your music collection or a movie.

Ended up replacing the z5500 with a $500 home thaeatre unit, while it does lack the punch of the z55 sub its much more capble of replicating cleaner sounds end excentuates the bass better (which is what the sub is for).

Would you count the cheap audioengines in that category?

With powered stereo monitors, can you just buy multiple sets of them and plug them to result in a 5.1 setup? Or 5.0. Actually, I could do without rear speakers, but I really like having a centre channel, it really opens up the sound stage or whatever. Whenever a player decides not to use the centre channel to play music for some reason, I instantly miss it.

There's no reason why you couldn't mate.

Buy 3 pairs, have 5 as surround, and then just use the last one as a sub, if you so wish. Stick it down on the floor by a wall, it'll give you a little more livelier bass (at some expense of quality).

There are better solutions, IMO, however :)

Also, though i've not listened to the Audeioengine speakers, the smaller of them doesn't exactly inspire me with confidence(technically), however the larger of the two look like quite capable speakers for their size/price.

Manufacturers are known for tweaking their efficiency and performance figures to suit themselves, but even if they manage -3dB at 65Hz, rather than their stated (50-55 from memory?) frequency, they still look good on paper.

The smaller one i don't like, probably mainly due to the reflex port design. Something that thin you'd end up with big noise coming from the port - no bass, but the sound of air movement.

The larger one wouldn't have that issue due to it being 1) rear ported, and 2) a 2" port.

Edited by Caelum

Satellites:

10%?

I did go on to point out that they're good for movies and games not music. I'm well aware that they're not the best speakers around, the price says it all. But everyone rags on them when someone asks about them as if they're not good at anything.

Sorry, but even if the distortion was half of what they state, i wouldn't consider them 'good' for anything.

Sufficient for most people? Probably. Good? No.

Okay, you've beat me, I'll shut up. They sound shit, they're no good for gaming or watching movies or playing any kind of music on. The $350 I spent on them over 2 years ago was a complete waste and I can't get wait to get rid of them.