pcicecube

4G wireless - coming soon?

I think it will be far cheaper than fiber to homes. give everyone a wireless card - done!

To be real about, it, perhaps there are some rose-coloured glasses on there.

The promise of between 100Mbit/s and 1Gbit/s over an air interface, reliably seems a little difficult to comprehend, doesn't it? Much less the cost of such plans.

We'll see how it pans out. Suffice to say - I am not holding my breath for LTE-Advanced (the *real* 4G) to actually deliver on such promises in the immediate, next to a dedicated Fibre cable...

z

I think it will be far cheaper than fiber to homes. give everyone a wireless card - done!

To be real about, it, perhaps there are some rose-coloured glasses on there.

The promise of between 100Mbit/s and 1Gbit/s over an air interface, reliably seems a little difficult to comprehend, doesn't it? Much less the cost of such plans.

We'll see how it pans out. Suffice to say - I am not holding my breath for LTE-Advanced (the *real* 4G) to actually deliver on such promises in the immediate, next to a dedicated Fibre cable...

z

Plus not forgetting that 100Mbit or 1Gbit is shared between every device connected to that cell or tower. All the pro wireless people seem to forget this. Christ the current system is already groaning under the existing usage with people getting less than dialup speeds even if they can connect. While 4G promises more available bandwidth with the increasing use and performance of mobile devices bandwidth usage will probably at least keep up providing prices become reasonable meaning the wireless network in high population density areas will continually be on or over the edge of severe congestion.

Notice the article says Peak data rates: ? Well funnily enough peak data rates are best case, often laboratory (or controlled) tests and tend to have very little to do with real world performance where there are all sorts of factors getting in the way of best performance.

Keep 4G/LTE/whatever for mobile devices and keep static use on static connections. The only exceptions to that should be those who will be beyond the fibre rollout and for those give them a dedicated wireless link that smart phones, Ipads, tablets and god knows what else cannot impinge upon. That is these people get a fixed point to point wireless link, not a mobile link, keep them separate.

Not only that but unless something is done in the near future re fibre a lot of people will be stuck with purely mobile phones for voice calls as the state of the copper in some areas is so appalling it is only just hanging in there.

Good god... you don't seriously believe that do you? Is your first name Malcolm? I think I've seen you on TV showing off an iPad.

Some hard facts for you.

• As aliali has pointed out; you won't get 1Gbps per person if there's a few hundred of you battling for bandwidth. Radio is an inherently shared medium due to its broadcast nature.
  • Since there's an upper limit on the number of handsets that may share a tower, this means you need multiple towers to cover everyone, which must all reside on individual frequencies that do not overlap.
  • The ACMA has only allocated a finite number of frequencies for cellular communications. Therefore there is a finite number of towers that can exist within range of each other.
  • With the bandplans in mind, handset and modem makers have only designed their sets to be able to cover that finite set of frequencies.

Ergo, wireless has a much lower limit on capacity than wired technologies. If an optic fibre gets saturated, you can always run a second one provided there is space in the conduit to do so. And I challenge you to saturate an optic fibre... scientists have succeeded in getting speeds up to 26 Tbps on a single fibre using a single laser. I don't think think the fibre itself is much different, rather the nature of the signals they are stuffing down it. So the fibre that delivers 100Mbps today, could possibly do 100Gbps tomorrow after an upgrade of the equipment at each end.

With radio... you trade off three things:

• Speed
  • Bandwidth
  • Noise resistance

You want to go blisteringly fast with narrow bandwidth? You better hope for perfect band conditions and only short distances line-of-sight using directional antennas at both ends, high quality low-loss cable, and quality equipment. It'll be cheaper to run a fibre optic cable.

PSK31 is a digital mode used on amateur radio bands; it has a bandwidth of just 31 Hz, and will work with stations you would not be able to hear using plain SSB voice. It is often used for "DX" (long distance) contacts. Brilliant noise resistance, and very narrow bandwidth. However, at a speed of around 30bps, you'll be waiting all day to download your first IP packet!

Wireless internet, is great if you have no other choice. For a fixed home installation who can otherwise get wired Internet however, it's sub-standard. Band conditions vary from day to day, you share the spectrum with numerous fellow consumers, and the security of the link is always a concern. Plus the fact, how do you plan to get the Internet service to the mobile phone towers? You'd need a NBN-like network just to feed them with a decent backhaul... why not go the extra mile and let consumers plug in directly as well as wirelessly?

I think the future of the Internet services here in Australia will include WiMAX and 4G cellular... but it will also include optic fibre in addition to the traditional ADSL, cable and satellite Internet we use today.

No one technology is a silver bullet.

Given how cruddy current 3G networks are here in Australia, you're being optimistic. To deploy 4G, you need to deploy more fibre as we still are dependent on rotting copper networks here.

mm i can see 4g wirless now 12g cap $80 a month then slowerd to 64k vs adsl2 which costs less for unlimited

that huge 12g cap which is the max currently offerd would last what? a few mintes at 4g speeds if somthing like steem decided to start downloading somthing while your not looking then you are back to dialup speeds and webpages that fail to load due to how slow it is for the rest of the month

yes im one of the porr buggers that is currently stuck without another option than the abomination that is nextg wirless

one of its few uses is for people like my grandparents that travel around the country and use it for the odd email they pay ~$120 and have 12 months to use it up