Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
kikz

[ALL] Dirt3. Anyone playing yet?

Anyone know a good suggestion for a button on the G27 Controller for handbrake lol.

Cause at the moment its set to my clutch pedal ( I dont use H Gear and Clutch at the moment until someone tells me that it gives me an advantage doing this somehow :\ ).

No, but clutch pedal sounds a whole lot better than the top left button on the wheel ;) Thanks :)

GFWL ID is - moist.one

Steam: brockp28

Keen for Wednesday night 7.30! Hope the damn thing doesn't crash!

Anyone know a good suggestion for a button on the G27 Controller for handbrake lol.

Cause at the moment its set to my clutch pedal ( I dont use H Gear and Clutch at the moment until someone tells me that it gives me an advantage doing this somehow :\ ).

No, but clutch pedal sounds a whole lot better than the top left button on the wheel ;) Thanks :)

Well my issue is doing the spin and donut as i usually tap the brake and tap the hand brake, its not analog which is disappointing too. I guess I need to get my left foot to play the game too lol. I think though once I figure this part out I should be smooth handling.

The track where I did 1'25 I do now when I got used to my wheel was 1'20. Though my issue is doing long corners where I seem to lose control so I need to practice throttle control.

But I reckon once I do that 1'16 should easily be done (WR apparently).

EDIT: I think that track is a Rally Finland Mutanen, but I'm having a hard time throttle control lol, but I should easily improve with throttle control :D.

Edited by Zhaker

The Outbreak game mode in this reminds me mildly of the Battle Tag game mode in Re-volt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Re-Volt

Many hours sunk into that game just playing Battle Tag over 56k <.< such a fun game!

Looking forward to smashing some games this week!

I'm using a G25, so my methods are a little different, seeing as I have the optional sequential shift.

I set the shifter to sequential, I use the paddles for gears, 540 degree wheel rotation (same as a real WRC car), and for the handbrake I pull down on the shifter.

It works fairly well. I got the idea from a number of Richard Burns Rally players who haven't made a custom handbrake.

I used to use the H-shifter for my gears, and left paddle for handbrake in DiRT 2 (as I'm left handed, so I have the shifter on my right, only left hand on the wheel most of the time).

Recently changed to my new method, so I have two hands on the wheel most of the time, for better car control.

You could however, try something similar, but make shifting into 4th on the H-shifter your handbrake. You just have to remember to slot it back to neutral when you're done, as it doesn't spring back like the sequential does on the G25.

Just play around and see what works best for you, and what feels more comfortable/natural.

Edited by Reb1rth.

I'm using a G25, so my methods are a little different, seeing as I have the optional sequential shift.

I set the shifter to sequential, I use the paddles for gears, 540 degree wheel rotation (same as a real WRC car), and for the handbrake I pull down on the shifter.

It works fairly well. I got the idea from a number of Richard Burns Rally players who haven't made a custom handbrake.

I used to use the H-shifter for my gears, and left paddle for handbrake in DiRT 2 (as I'm left handed, so I have the shifter on my right, only left hand on the wheel most of the time).

Recently changed to my new method, so I have two hands on the wheel most of the time, for better car control.

You could however, try something similar, but make shifting into 4th on the H-shifter your handbrake. You just have to remember to slot it back to neutral when you're done, as it doesn't spring back like the sequential does on the G25.

Just play around and see what works best for you, and what feels more comfortable/natural.

Yea, trying to find something that feels natural, personally I'd like a "actual" handbrake. Though someone suggesting getting a analog joystick to do the handbrake but the game's handbrake is digital (I think).

As for the 540 degree wheel rotation I tried that but it doesn't seem to respond very well and I seem to lose grip on easy corners. So I tuned it to 330 to that effect, also I noticed that the strength of the feedback was quite strong so I had to tone it back quite a bit. I think its just getting used to it.

Also for start-up, most of the time I leave it to 2nd gear, do you guys know how to do a good start-up because in the versus time trial against the WR holder, they always seem to zip past no matter how the settings worked, so far leaving it as second gear from stop seems to be part of trick, anyone else know how to do this properly?

Probably doesn't feel like 540 responds well, 'cause you're used to a lower rotation and you're not turning the wheel enough. :P

I've never tried time trials vs WR holders (don't really care to), so I can't help ya there. :)

Yea, trying to find something that feels natural, personally I'd like a "actual" handbrake. Though someone suggesting getting a analog joystick to do the handbrake but the game's handbrake is digital (I think).

As for the 540 degree wheel rotation I tried that but it doesn't seem to respond very well and I seem to lose grip on easy corners. So I tuned it to 330 to that effect, also I noticed that the strength of the feedback was quite strong so I had to tone it back quite a bit. I think its just getting used to it.

Also for start-up, most of the time I leave it to 2nd gear, do you guys know how to do a good start-up because in the versus time trial against the WR holder, they always seem to zip past no matter how the settings worked, so far leaving it as second gear from stop seems to be part of trick, anyone else know how to do this properly?

I've seen people make handbrakes, its just a simple switch pretty much, hooked up via USB and read as a HID. (well the circuitry anyway)

*EDIT* Clarification.

Edited by NukeJockey

Probably doesn't feel like 540 responds well, 'cause you're used to a lower rotation and you're not turning the wheel enough. :P

I've never tried time trials vs WR holders (don't really care to), so I can't help ya there. :)

LOL Well just doing time trials, and it just automatically downloads the damn wr holders. As I was trying out with the steering wheel, and at 540 I notice that my car doesnt turn until like its at 90 degrees lol.

As for the Handbrake yea I saw people doing that too, but again Dirt 3 Handbrake I think is digital not analog based, because I tried holding the hand brake halfway but it seems to act like its fully depressed on the clutch :(, so I end up having needing to repeatedly press the hand brake to do a spin. This isn't a problem much on Drift and other gymkhana events but for Spin and Donut its quite difficult, or do you guys know a better way to do a spin and donut without using much handbrake?

Edited by Zhaker

Ignore the bad fps... Fraps killed my game performance and it was running at 34-37fps.

The new ATi driver hotfix have bumped up game performance for me though, now I record at 55-60fps.

Anyway, enjoy. Uploading a Kenya rally video now.

just reading the posts on dirt 3 reminded me of this rally car doing pikes peak

scares the shit out of me just watching

If anyone is have having laggy input with a Logitech driving force GT wheel or getting low FPS in crossfire try checking that your steam isn't starting in compatibility mode.

My steam was set to run in vista compatibility mode (god knows how or why) and as soon as I changed it crossfire works and my wheel no longer lags.

Just wanted to let you guys know because this has been bugging me since the game was released.

Now I can actually play the game.

Dirt 3 multi 7:30 tomorrow night guys! I suppose I'll organise it and we can figure out what to do once we're all grouped up in the lobby. Make sure you add me to GFWL - NukeJockey.

Cheers.

Tonight is the night! :p

Hrmm I might attend, depends if I am in the mood, I havent played since last sunday :(, been so tired from work :(.

I haven't had a crack at the game yet, but will tonight. By vast consensus it's an extremely well polished Rally game. Possibly the best yet. From the people that brought us F1 2010. uhoh? ;)

So who has it and what do you think. And do we need a multiplayer competition :p

(www.atomicwrc.com ? :p)

I've played with this game the other day but I don't know what's with it that I don't really like. My brother seems to like it very much but not me. How about you guys, how do you like Dirt3?

I dont have a wheel, just a gamepad, I know..Im missing out! My game doesnt save my gamepad control's though I've noticed..

Tad annoying having to remap them on every load.

Here's a Video of me on the night I was fine tuning.

I dont have a wheel, just a gamepad, I know..Im missing out! My game doesnt save my gamepad control's though I've noticed..

Tad annoying having to remap them on every load.

Here's a Video of me on the night I was fine tuning.

Reb1rth was saying his wheel controls weren't saving either.

Keyboard is fine, tonight I'll be testing out my gamepad before we play though.

Bit buggy this game. When everything works, it's great. :P

Haven't come across any bugs so far, so they're not as widespread as people are making out. Just people getting unlucky I guess.

People with wheels are so much faster than gamepads, I've been getting my ass kicked by reb1rth, if I race well I'm still losing by 2~ seconds.

Yeah, I personally can't use a wheel for rally games though, if I wanted to I'd have to practice for a long time, gamepad just feels more 'natural' for me. Maybe reb1rth is just a seasoned racing sim/arcade player? :P

The wheel controls not saving bug is fixed by pressing START on your wheel (or whatever button works), instead of ENTER on the keyboard when the game first starts up, then confirming save name etc with button not kb.

Yeah, I personally can't use a wheel for rally games though, if I wanted to I'd have to practice for a long time, gamepad just feels more 'natural' for me. Maybe reb1rth is just a seasoned racing sim/arcade player? :P

Yep he is.