t3hmarz

[PC] Terraria

So, I noticed there was not a thread about Terraria in these here forums, so I decided to make one.

I just got it on steam yesterday.

It's $10, like minecraft but 2d and actually having a sort of goal.

In Terraria you mine resources and build things. There is biomes, caves. floating islands and Cthulhu.

What more could you want for $10?

Discuss.

I've put maybe an hour or so in so far. I'm not feeling it as much as I did Minecraft, but that could be my general state of mind towards games atm. That said it's not a bad buy for $10.

Edited by disolusiond

An hour into it and really not feeling the game. Unable to find any iron no matter how much I dig is really stunting my options. Find the constant slimes an annoyance rather than a challenge.

Not feeling the building choices or the desire to design.

Minecraft had me hooked by this time.

I am really getting into terraria multiplayer with friends, I think it is a lot less laggy than minecraft.

I think minecraft is kinda old for me now, I have done literally everything I can think of in the game, and Terraria has bosses and such.

Many people playing the single player of this? I'm thinking it might have to be my first actual Steam purchase.

Ive put 14 hours in since release, about 12 in Multiplayer and im probably done with the game at this minute. Minecraft is in my opinion still better, ive put over 100+ hours into that.

The singleplayer is good, but the multiplayer part is absolutely fantastic for me.

One thing about terraria is that your character progresses in any server you go to, and if you have hamachi it is incredibly easy to make a server out of your own singleplayer level and play with friends on it. Most bosses are practically invincible without other players.

Just had a bit of a bash then, quite fun. Kinda liking it more than minecraft atm purely for the fact that there are more things to do. Making villages and all that sorta stuff seems really cool.

Bought it this morning and had a crack.

I like it, pretty cool. Its got a few goals to aim for which is nice in a sandbox game, such as building houses to attract NPC's.

Took me a while to get going though.

Read the FAQ on the steam users forums to get an idea of what to do.

The monsters spawn constantly and at night its even worse which can be annoying. I found the recipe for success is when you start the game, chop down a few trees. Make a workbench then a sword and bow, and some arrows. The bow is the best weapon for dealing with those demon eyes. For everything else, just dig up some dirt and place a dirt wall as high as you can jump on either side of your work area, which should keep the slimes and zombies at bay.

also don't dig too far underground or a devourer worm will spawn, which will quickly kill newbies, and they seem to chase you incessantly no matter how far you run above ground, until you die :/

The worms are easy to kill. Just keep popping mushrooms when your HP gets low.

As for setting up a work area, you can build a house, which makes things a hell of a lot easier. Put a bed in there (you need to get cobwebs from a cave to make silk) and use it to set it as your spawn point. Thenstart your mine from inside your house. Either that or grab the Terraria map generator, which will read your newly rendered world and transfer it to the google maps API, so you can see where the dungeons and stuff are. Then you can build your new base accordingly. Personally I like digging and finding stuff, rather than knowing where it is. Its definitely something that needs to be played MP though, and venturing out onto the surface is way too dangerous when you start off too.

Was just in a server with a mate, came out with heaps of goodies. A special pistol that has a high fire rate and 12 damage, grappling hook, harpoon, star cannon, boomerang and full demonite armour, among other things.

Although its fundamentally different to minecraft, some of the similarities are too close to not compare them. For mining, fighting, exploring and just generally having a fun time, Terraria wipes the floor with it. For building, Minecraft is a much better game.

Been playing with a couple of mates all weekend and now that weve gone into dungeons and beaten bosses and such its turning out to be much better than Minecraft.

To get into the Dungeon you have to beat a massive Skeleton type boss called skeletron which you wont beat unless you have extremely good weapons like the star cannon or you can set your spawn above it. Its a really fun battle though and once your in the Dungeon the loot is great.

Edited by Brissmas

Been playing with a couple of mates all weekend and now that weve gone into dungeons and beaten bosses and such its turning out to be much better than Minecraft.

To get into the Dungeon you have to beat a massive Skeleton type boss called skeletron which you wont beat unless you have extremely good weapons like the star cannon or you can set your spawn above it. Its a really fun battle though and once your in the Dungeon the loot is great.

Yeah, we built a house above the dungeon in our server and set our spawn point there, managed to beat him. I have the star cannon and a few other cool goodies, but still no really good melee weapon or ranged that doesnt need annoying ammunition (getting stars for the star cannon is a pain in the ass)

I remember that game, with meany and nukey, twas fun. Make sure you use potions instead of mushrooms, it will help a lot.

Also skeletron's dungeon is impossible to loot without good gear due to the shitstorm of things attacking you at once.

Plus, the map generator is sort of a cheat as you can see where everything is, without even looking for it at all.

oh, and a tip: right click on merchants items to get more than one

Holding right mouse works well as well.

Edited by t3hmarz

Yep.

I had decent enough armour for the dungeon, just a shitty weapon. The axe does okay for skeletons and stuff, but takes a long time to kill hornets and the wizards and shit.

Still, such an awesome game. Going to start up a server tonight hopefully and try build up a town and stuff, with fresh characters, so far everyone has been giving me loot and while its fun, it feels like I'm cheating.

I've been having a ball in single player for the most part, had a few goes with a couple of mates over the net but so far they all wanted to just run off and do their own thing.

I just love the exploring/looting aspect and the satisfaction of crafting new equipment. Only got Gold items so far and only last night found my first heart container, so hopefully got a while to go yet before I hit the top tier stuff. I hope they will keep adding stuff like they promised, particularly more NPC's and bosses, and perhaps an endgame scenario. could use more variety in the enemies too.

Despite how good this game is to waste time on, its pretty clearly unfinished. The steam integration doesn't work properly so people are pirating it everywhere since it doesn't need steam to run.

All the worlds and player data is client side. So you can dupe items by making a backup of your player file, sticking stuff in chests, save/exit then restore the backup of the player file, loading the world and take all the stuff out of the chests.

You can also edit the sprites and weapons easily. The weapon ranges are determined by the size of the sprite so you can easily have wepons with sutpid long ranges. There is absolutely no server side checks for any of this stuff.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

or you can just have dynamite that blows up half the map

fun happens at 0:50

Posted Image

The netcode is horrible, I never thought I'd say this but its worse than a DICE game, monsters warp everywhere in multiplayer, quite often I'd shoot a slime/zombie with the bow halfway across the screen and they'd teleport on top of me and cause damage. Maybe if this was a laggy connection I could understand but when I'm running the server on localhost and only have 1 other player connected I really don't understand why this happens.

Also monsters spawn WAY too fast in multiplayer and it sucks that no matter how much I upgrade my sword/bow it still seems to take the same amount of hits to kill even basic enemies like zombies. Monsters need to spawn less and have less HP.

The official server has no provision for banning people, thankfully there is a mod for this but its simply something that should have been done from the beginning. Public servers are just rife for griefing/exploiting.

Hope they sort all this out in a patch - and soon.

Edited by DonutKing

I've been having a ball in single player for the most part, had a few goes with a couple of mates over the net but so far they all wanted to just run off and do their own thing.

I just love the exploring/looting aspect and the satisfaction of crafting new equipment. Only got Gold items so far and only last night found my first heart container, so hopefully got a while to go yet before I hit the top tier stuff. I hope they will keep adding stuff like they promised, particularly more NPC's and bosses, and perhaps an endgame scenario. could use more variety in the enemies too.

Despite how good this game is to waste time on, its pretty clearly unfinished. The steam integration doesn't work properly so people are pirating it everywhere since it doesn't need steam to run.

All the worlds and player data is client side. So you can dupe items by making a backup of your player file, sticking stuff in chests, save/exit then restore the backup of the player file, loading the world and take all the stuff out of the chests.

You can also edit the sprites and weapons easily. The weapon ranges are determined by the size of the sprite so you can easily have wepons with sutpid long ranges. There is absolutely no server side checks for any of this stuff.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

or you can just have dynamite that blows up half the map

fun happens at 0:50

Posted Image

The netcode is horrible, I never thought I'd say this but its worse than a DICE game, monsters warp everywhere in multiplayer, quite often I'd shoot a slime/zombie with the bow halfway across the screen and they'd teleport on top of me and cause damage. Maybe if this was a laggy connection I could understand but when I'm running the server on localhost and only have 1 other player connected I really don't understand why this happens.

Also monsters spawn WAY too fast in multiplayer and it sucks that no matter how much I upgrade my sword/bow it still seems to take the same amount of hits to kill even basic enemies like zombies. Monsters need to spawn less and have less HP.

The official server has no provision for banning people, thankfully there is a mod for this but its simply something that should have been done from the beginning. Public servers are just rife for griefing/exploiting.

Hope they sort all this out in a patch - and soon.

Yeah currently its far from perfect. Playing MP with some friends who actually like to work together is good fun. The devs have stated that this is an ongoing project and they will continue to add more weapons, monsters, items etc. So I'm looking forward to seeing what else happens with it.

Gah, that's shocking that people would pirate something like this. Hopefully they are buying it after trying it out at least.

New patch out. Adds dedicated server software, proper fullscreen resolutions (game looks so much better at 1920x1200) and some new items/sprites and a few bug fixes. Quite awesome really.

Yep just had a quick bash this morning, seems to have really settled down the teleporting monsters.

dedicated server is good, finally has basic featuers like kick and ban and lets you change the ingame time (so no more tediously waiting till night for a team boss battle for example).

Being able to set fullscreen resolutions is nice but some people are whinging that if you play PvP it gives widescreen players an unfair advantage since they can see others from so far away and potentially hit people from off their screen.

I dunno personally I reckon if you play PvP in this you are doing it wrong but I guess I can kinda see their point. I wonder if they will increase the resolution but simply upscale the graphics to keep the view size fixed in a future patch.

Personally I'm hoping they start storing players/worlds in steam cloud to make it harder to dupe items and can also play your own worlds/characters easily on other PC's without worrying about copying files around.

Edited by DonutKing

Just going to bump this to ask what servers you guys play on, because I need a Terraria server :P

bump.

A friend gifted me this game on Wednesday. It is brilliant! I can see why people compare it to Minecraft but I only played Minecraft for maybe 5-6 hours total. It didnt grab me like this has. I've already sunk 10 or more hours into this in the last couple of days.

I got over terraria fairly quickly. While it has some awesome items in it and enjoyable mining, it just doesn't have a good building aspect, being 2D really kills it, I gave it probably 10 hours before giving up.

I've easily sunk over 100 hours into minecraft.

Edited by NukeJockey