t3hmarz

[PC] Terraria

i like that there coming up with unique ideas but i still think they need to find ways to push out there ideas and make them easier to see..

I recently purchased this game without any kind of backstory or information and i clicked New Game it did its thing and im this lil man with a sword in a strange game/world with no direction.. so you need to be motivated to even give this game a chance and u pretty much are expected to learn everything instantly from the moment u land with no help or guidance.

The game is good im just saying the initial shock of it kinda sux.

i like that there coming up with unique ideas but i still think they need to find ways to push out there ideas and make them easier to see..

I recently purchased this game without any kind of backstory or information and i clicked New Game it did its thing and im this lil man with a sword in a strange game/world with no direction.. so you need to be motivated to even give this game a chance and u pretty much are expected to learn everything instantly from the moment u land with no help or guidance.

The game is good im just saying the initial shock of it kinda sux.

You spawn next to a guide who tells you everything you need to know.

Best way to start the game imo, dig a hole so you can lock yourself in of a night and go cut down some trees before it gets dark, all while killing the goos/blobs.

That way you can have shelter and light at night when the bad monsters come out.

From there, just start digging man, don't go too deep, best off to get down to the stone layer (the background will change from mud to stone) and then mine left or right, rather than down, the further you go, the more evil the monsters are, once you start getting lots of skeletons and fire imps etc. You will find yourself dying alot.

haha i aint played it that much so still a newb on it.. didnt know the things u just said haha monsters at night and stuff < thanks for the tips

i wish there was a sandbox mode without monsters

sorry for bumping an old thread, but heck, I've racked up 40hrs in the past week, single player, huge map.

I was a bit lost to start with, there are a few things that you need to do to get started that aren't too obvious.

I watched a bunch of intro youtube clips, and hit the wiki looking for more information

My goal is to craft a Hamdrax, but for now, I'm just exploring the left, right and upper extents of the map, I'll need to gear up a fair bit before I go to the bottom.

I've spent a lot of time building mine shafts with wooden platforms, occasionally heading to the sides if I see interesting things, like urns, chests and ore deposits. I have a dozen chests in my house now, might have to build a new room just for chests.

I play minecraft ALOT

I gave this a go played for a little bit.

But got bored as bat shit, i really didnt find it that fun at all.

I've heard it described "like minecraft" alot, but i dont feel like it is at all, aside from the fact that you build stuff.

yeah didnt enjoy it....

EDIT: oops didnt realize this thread was so old!

Edited by alexdtree

I tried minecraft, and I didn't enjoy it.

I'd probably try it again if it's ever released on Steam.

Terraria is a different game than minecraft.

While minecraft takes/took itself seriously in the beta stages, terraria came out looking to conquer with just flat out fun gameplay and exploration.

I find the building in terraria to be painful and annoying, so I like minecraft better in that aspect, but as far as exploring and combat goes? Shotguns, machine guns, light sabres and flaming swords are more fun than a diamond sword any day of the week, mix that with awesome caves and dungeons scattered around and it shits all over minecraft.

... shits all over minecraft.

need say no more. Terraria is bloody good fun.

Edited by martyr

the major problem i see with this game is unless you buy liek a 4 pack and share it with friends it's got a short lifespan

Even then it has a short life span.

The game is essentially a grind for gear, but theres not a whole lot to do besides that. Some people like building in it, but I can't stand it, too annoying. Still a fun game for what it is though and not exactly expensive, I paid $10 and I've played more than 10 hours.

Just checked, played 47 hours of it. if I play 3 more, it works out to like 20 cents per hour. Not exactly a bad purchase :)

indeed.

what i mean is like alot of games it shows it's true flavor as a game you play with friends or family, kinda similar to playing mario kart with friends or family but no where near as epic

yeah, I've been watching multiplayer videos on youtube, seems like fun,

Anyone want to multiplayer on the weekends, let me know (not this weekend though!)

I can't actually host multiplayer games either, until I get my ADSL connected, NextG wireless is on an ISP NAT, so can't accept incoming requests.

I spent just a little time playing with Terraria but I enjoyed it. However, this game is not as appealing as the others so I have to give up playing with it after 3 or 4 days. The boss fights are really a challenge for me, without the help of my allies, I find it very difficult to defeat a boss.

Anyway, I just read a news from Game Arena about Terraria Collector's Edition. It's worth a read, it's here: http://www.gamearena.com.au/news/read.php/5109510

poop

Apparently, Re-Logic has canned further development of Terraria, citing the need for time off, and the starting of future projects.

I can't link the blog here at work, but any major gaming site/blogs are running the story.

So, 1.2 finally came to the PC. Lot of changes!

I just loaded up my old character and hardmode world - didn't spent lots of gold on rerolling stats, but just a decent enough set of hallowed armour - and went to the dungeon to see what it was like. It's, er, pretty hectic. Especially the fkn necromancers <.>

I haven't played much, just saw some new backgrounds and heard some new music. My missus was pretty excited when she found the "living Tree" or whatever it is called had spawned on her map.

I'm sure I'll give it a bash one day, but atm I can't be bothered with it, few months back I was spending far too much time on the PS3 version :P

Also, this update is huge, I reckon they could have charged for it as DLC, nice to see some Devs are still happy to provide massive, free updates.

I had thought that they were just implementing the console content, but then it dragged out for so long and I realised that 1.2 redid the game engine a bit as well as adding a tonne of extra content. Yeah, they could have charged - glad they didn't!

1.2.3 was so amusing - a patch to fix things and optimise things broke so much stuff.

Glad I stumbled across the quick stack money bug before it was fixed. Two chests full of stacks of 100 platinum coins should hopefully let me run around farming items, rather than farming coins.

Still haven't played this game!

Quick question though, should I try and play this with some mates, or give it a crack by myself? After playing Minecraft on and off for years I don't like playing it alone :-P

I've mostly played it alone - I sort of prefer it that way. Multiplay can be fun tho', and the end-game armour is now aimed towards it - there are archetypal tank, healer, mage, and hunter sets that complement each other.

Play it with friends if you can, however its fine to play it by yourself as well, as its easy to host your world in multiplayer if you want to play on your world with friends.